Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 27

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments Well, this one takes the cake, lol. I thought I posted this earlier, but I must have gotten sidetracked and didn't realize I didn't post it until now. Better late than never, lol.

Today's/Yesterday's prompt is the most surprising plot twist or ending. This one is hard because I can usually guess how things are going to turn out so nothing is really surprising. I can only think of two books that took me completely by surprise.

I'm choosing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling. As I said in day four's post, Azkaban is my favorite individual story in the Harry Potter series. (This will be spoiler free, mostly.)

The reason I love Azkaban so much is because of James Potter and his friends. I love the backstory of the marauders and how their map came into being. I love hearing about how they became animagi. And, I love the tragic feel of the story.

I didn't see the ending coming at all. I thought what all the characters thought. When the big reveal happened, I remember feeling like Harry, Ron, and Hermione--skeptical. Then, I felt amazed. It made me love the story all that more.

What do you think was the most surprising plot twist or ending?

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments There have been many over the years, so I'm sure there are a lot that I have forgotten. Of the more recent books I've read, one that really caught me by surprise was the ending of Michael Connelly's Nine Dragons.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I read Gone Girl before the film and before the hype. The plot twist was a huge surprise to me.

message 4: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1470 comments Hmmm, not a thread I want to read ... this one should come with a spoiler warning.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments Nicole wrote: "Hmmm, not a thread I want to read ... this one should come with a spoiler warning."

No one has given any spoilers so far...

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8188 comments The Thirteenth Tale…. I think that's not a spoiler, because it would be incredibly hard to predict. Loved this book so much. And yes. Right after I finished it, I read it straight again.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments annapi wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Hmmm, not a thread I want to read ... this one should come with a spoiler warning."

No one has given any spoilers so far..."

I think that to say a book has a surprise twist ending is kind of a spoiler even if no details are shared about what the twist is. Part of the joy of twist/surprise endings is coming across them unexpectedly. I find that when someone tells me to expect a twist at the end, I spend the time reading trying to look ahead and guess the twist.

That said, it is rare that I ever find a book with a twist ending without first hearing that it has a twist ending

message 8: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Amy wrote: "The Thirteenth Tale…. I think that's not a spoiler, because it would be incredibly hard to predict. Loved this book so much. And yes. Right after I finished it, I read it straight again."

Nice to hear this Amy. I'm reading it write now and having a hard time getting into it and not setting it aside.

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2715 comments I agree with Amy. The Thirteenth Tale has one of the best plot twists ever. Of course, Agatha Christie was the queen of plot twists.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8037 comments I don't have a particular one I can think of, but pretty much any twist ending will catch me. ;-)

Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay always have plenty of twists.