What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy probably YA late 90s - magic "land sense" [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison (thealison) | 3 comments I can remember two things about this book or series of books.

1. Part of the story was that a character who was a magician or mage or wizard or similar had powers that included something that I think was called "land sense". They stepped onto a country and in a rush could sense everything about the land, all the trees and rivers, etc. I think this was expected with a male character but may have also unexpectedly happened in a different country with a female character.

2. A young male and female chapter had a strong bond. One was doing magic that I think was weather magic and it snowed where the other was. To break the connection an older character swim a sword between them while visualizing a rope being cut and the ends of the rope burning. This caused the characters pain, but he said that their relationship must not have been sexual because the pain would have been down through their legs, not just across the top half of their bodies.

Thank you!

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 763 comments The 'land sense' appears in some of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books, but not the second part.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments Alison wrote: "I can remember two things about this book or series of books.

1. Part of the story was that a character who was a magician or mage or wizard or similar had powers that included something that I th..."

Possibly Bujold's "Sharing Knife" series - the "Lakewalkers" have what is called a "ground sense."

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32045 comments Mod
The Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold for Andy's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4441...

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments Kris wrote: "The Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold for Andy's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4441..."

Thanks Kris.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison (thealison) | 3 comments No, neither of those suggestions are it, but thank you for trying!

message 8: by Krista (new)

Krista | 148 comments Sounds kind of like Tamora Pierce's Immortals series, but I don't really remember any particulars from those books.

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:20AM) (new)

The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce for Krista's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4986...

message 10: by M (new)

M (miyu) | 56 comments Could it be Marion Zimmer Bradley - Lady of the Trillium? Haramis has the land sense for one kingdom and takes on the training of her successor Mikayla, who has a great friend, he eventually gains the land sense for his own kingdom. Haramis sets foot on a piece of land that has become part of her responsibility and feels this whole area joining her original land. Mikayla and Haramis are rather at odds from the beginning to near the end.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Lady of the Trillium by Marion Zimmer Bradley for M's suggestion.

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison (thealison) | 3 comments I think it's Lady of the Trillium!! Thank you!!