Play Book Tag discussion

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
This topic is about Guns, Germs, and Steel
Archive: Other Books > Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond 3/5

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 12, 2016 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole D. | 1470 comments Back when people read paper books, I saw a lot of people reading this book and (naturally) assumed it was right wing extremism. I thought it was the right's answer to The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. It is not.

In fact, this book could more adequately be called Food Sources, the Fertile Crescent and Qwerty. 75% of this book was about food. Crops, livestock. Hunting it, gathering it, mass producing it. And how it all related to how the world grew up to be the asshole that it is today.

It's very much NOT a right wing book. It's complex and I was pretty engaged for a really long time, but after a while it got repetitive and I drifted off, and then had to go back and listen again and then I had repetition of the repetition and I'd drift off again, and bam there we are at Qwerty again (turns out there's a more efficient keyboard ... Dvorak ... who knew? Everybody but me? again?)

Anyway, I think it veered from the proposed topic to the authors pet interests, and that's fine it's his book, but I felt i was a long way to go to get there and not even sure I agreed once I did. But interesting .

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4856 comments I was never able to finish this, I got almost halfway...

message 3: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I liked the documentary. And it has a study guide. We used it in homeschooling.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments I've thought about reading this, but won't bother now.