Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Global News > Orlando Nightclub Shooting

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (last edited Jun 12, 2016 04:42PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
Tragic News today: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orla...

A shooter came into a gay nightclub and shot down 50 people, which was shown as the deadliest shooting of all time.

I am truly sadden and shocked by this event and I can't believe that such a thing would happen.

May our hearts go out to the victims of this horrific crime.

message 2: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

It's such a tragedy that such a thing had happened and it showed me that violence and prejudice is still reigning as strong as ever in this day and age.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments The fact that guns are so readily available in the USA and that there is precious little gun control and monitoring (like background checks for everyone), not to mention a thriving black market, predestines this kind of rampage. Of course the gunman is solely responsible for his actions, but the glorification of the gun and gun ownership in the USA, is a contributing factor, no matter how much the NRA, Donald Trump and the like might claim to the contrary.

message 4: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Manybooks wrote: "The fact that guns are so readily available in the USA and that there is precious little gun control and monitoring (like background checks for everyone), not to mention a thriving black market, pr..."

I agree. Imagine how much violence in the world would have died down if less people owned guns because if guns go the wrong hands, then many innocent people would lose their lives.

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 13, 2016 05:09PM) (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Ronyell wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "The fact that guns are so readily available in the USA and that there is precious little gun control and monitoring (like background checks for everyone), not to mention a thrivin..."

Unfortunately, guns are being promoted more and more, especially in the USA., and even on college and university campuses. Imagine teaching a course on gender, the Holocaust, religion (of course, the gun fanatics would argue that armed students and professors might stop a a mass shooting, but the opposite could just as likely or even more likely happen.

message 6: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Manybooks wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "The fact that guns are so readily available in the USA and that there is precious little gun control and monitoring (like background checks for everyone), not to m..."

I agree. Some students or people in general just might own a gun because it looks cool, not to defend themselves and it could lead to an incident where people could be shot without any provocation due to some people not understanding the dangers of gun use.

message 7: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Ronyell wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "The fact that guns are so readily available in the USA and that there is precious little gun control and monitoring (like background checks for e..."

Or they decide that the professor is "out of line" and ...

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyreads) I completely agree. Many Anti- Gun Regulation people keep bringing up the point that the Orlando shooter would have passed a background check. However I think it is outrageous that the average individual can purchase an assault rifle with a normal gun license.

Also, recently, I've been seeing a lot of books on Goodreads (mostly fiction) that deal with LGBTQ+ Muslim stories. I think it would be great for us to read one of these this summer as a way of healing and thinking critically about our perception of the intersection of Islam and Gender & Sexuality. This tragedy has the potential to spread both islamophobia and homophobia through fear. Along with discussing the politics of gun violence, I think supporting works that represent the peaceful majority of Islam and its presence in the LGBTQ+ community is one of the most positive things Goodreads users and the Booktube community can do.

I have to get back to work but I can list some books if anyone is interested.

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Jasmine wrote: "I completely agree. Many Anti- Gun Regulation people keep bringing up the point that the Orlando shooter would have passed a background check. However I think it is outrageous that the average indi..."

Good idea!

message 10: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Jasmine wrote: "I completely agree. Many Anti- Gun Regulation people keep bringing up the point that the Orlando shooter would have passed a background check. However I think it is outrageous that the average indi..."

That's fantastic! I would love to hear what kind of books that deal with that that we could use for this group!

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyreads) Great! Well the ones that seem most fitting are God in Pink by Hasan Namir and Guapa by Saleem Haddad. To be completely honest, I'm not super sure that Guapa deals directly with Islam but it is set in an unnamed Middle Eastern country during a time of social turmoil so I think it's still relevant.

message 12: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Jasmine wrote: "Great! Well the ones that seem most fitting are God in Pink by Hasan Namir and Guapa by Saleem Haddad. To be completely honest, I'm not super sure that Guapa deals directly with Islam but it is set..."

Good! I'll add those books to the bookshelf!

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Baskins (themessengerofglobalunity) Hi everybody. McVeigh used fertilizer to kill, the cult Aum Shinrikyo used sarin gas to kill. After all, airplanes and box cutters killed thousands in 9/11. The crisis is one of values and character. My dad is the most peaceful man I know. He has always owned a gun for defense. His office was broken into over and over and he was afraid of a break-in while his children were there. Lately, there have many stabbings in DC, but anti-knife legislation is not coming. We need to look at psychological and spiritual causes and not the symptoms and effects. If someone wants to kill, they do not value life or feel their oneness with others. That is the real problem.

message 14: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Brian wrote: "Hi everybody. McVeigh used fertilizer to kill, the cult Aum Shinrikyo used sarin gas to kill. After all, airplanes and box cutters killed thousands in 9/11. The crisis is one of values and characte..."

I agree that we should also look at the psychological issues stemming from gun and knife abuse in various cases and what causes the person to snap so that way we can gain a better understanding of the murderer's motives.

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel (metermouse) | 3 comments Jasmine wrote: "Great! Well the ones that seem most fitting are God in Pink by Hasan Namir and Guapa by Saleem Haddad. To be completely honest, I'm not super sure that Guapa deals directly with Islam but it is set..."

Thank you for the suggestions! I have also added A Map of Home and If You Could Be Mine to my reading list. I love that this conversation is happening here :) I've been trying to focus on positive ways to help and to heal. Perhaps reading these books and increasing our awareness, and then sharing these books will open further dialogue in our communities. <3

message 16: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Mel wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "Great! Well the ones that seem most fitting are God in Pink by Hasan Namir and Guapa by Saleem Haddad. To be completely honest, I'm not super sure that Guapa deals directly with Isl..."

That's a great idea! I'm adding these books to the shelf!

message 17: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 16, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Brian wrote: "Hi everybody. McVeigh used fertilizer to kill, the cult Aum Shinrikyo used sarin gas to kill. After all, airplanes and box cutters killed thousands in 9/11. The crisis is one of values and characte..."

I would argue that we need to look at both causes and symptoms/effects. It is people who kill, but guns are much too easily obtained and there are not enough follow ups and background checks. I am not anti gun, but I am against assault weapons and very firmly believe that there should be stricter gun laws and increased monitoring (of everyone, although I realise that criminals and those with things to hide wil likely simply go underground). And I do not in any way agree with concealed weapons in college and university classrooms (especially if the individuals getting these licenses do not have to undergo meticulous background checks and firearms training).

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian Baskins (themessengerofglobalunity) The problem with passing laws to control guns is that violent criminals are not going to follow the laws. How is a law going to disarm violent criminals? It can’t. All anti-gun legislation will do is create a thriving black market for guns. Now we have our President flying into Orlando while his former home of Chicago has reached 2,439 people shot by guns since New Year’s Day. Over 90 dead in the last two months. Our President thinks he can pass a bill to curb guns from getting in the hands of criminals. Criminals don't buy their guns at gun shows. They don't fill out forms for backgrounds checks. They don't have Illinois FOID cards. Law abiding citizens aren't creating the gun problem in America. Law abiding citizens respect the law, and they are the ones that if called upon would defend others.

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Brian wrote: "The problem with passing laws to control guns is that violent criminals are not going to follow the laws. How is a law going to disarm violent criminals? It can’t. All anti-gun legislation will do ..."

But the fact remains that while there are shootings in other countries, like what just happened in England, most countries that have gun control and gun laws also have much less gun violence and most countries that celebrate gun ownership and have little gun control, background checks and the like, have much much more gun violence, especially mass shootings. Sorry, but in the USA, the gun culture and the NRA are creating at least part of the gun problem.

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyreads) Brian wrote: "The problem with passing laws to control guns is that violent criminals are not going to follow the laws. How is a law going to disarm violent criminals? It can’t. All anti-gun legislation will do ..."

Also, Omar Mateen was, up until the tragedy, what many would call a law-abiding citizen. Under Florida gun-laws, he was legally able to own that assault rifle used to murder 49 people. While an individual's psychological state might be a factor in how they choose to use their weapons, this information is usually undiagnosed prior to the tragedy and therefore has been of little use in preventing gun-violence under current gun-legislation. Though I think that proof of psychological health as a requirement for purchase of a gun would be ideal, I'm unsure how we'd make such information easily attainable.

As for what you were saying about Chicago, I completely agree that gun violence there is not getting the attention that is due. I think however that that is because the gun violence that occurs in Chicago often stems from drug and gang activity that, in turn, stems from poverty and many people like to think that that's not their problem. I can also acknowledge that a large number of the firearms that are involved in Chicago gun violence are not legally obtained. For that reason, I can say that, while the violence in Chicago is as senseless and devastating as any, it ties much more strongly into the issue of drug-trafficking than it does into gun-legislation. Furthermore, the laws that are currently being pushed to control gun violence are not meant to prevent those who are mentally stable and who are searching for security from purchasing guns.

message 21: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:06PM) (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Jasmine wrote: "Brian wrote: "The problem with passing laws to control guns is that violent criminals are not going to follow the laws. How is a law going to disarm violent criminals? It can’t. All anti-gun legisl..."

I think one of the main issues is also that mental health services have become, and even in countries like Canada that have a publicly funded medical system, the "neglected stepchild" with both little services and help being readily available and family members, friends, even physicians often having their hands proverbially tied, especially if the individual about whom they are concerned claims there is nothing wrong (that everyone else is warped).