The Lord of the Rings The Lord of the Rings discussion

Why is Elrond called the Half-Elven?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wreade1872 That's a rhetorical question as i worked out the answer some time ago :). Firstly it's a rare fact that Galadriel is Elrond's mother-in-law and Arwen's grandmother.

Strangely this doesn't get much of a mention in the book let alone the films. Also Elrond's brother Elros gave up his immortality and became the ancestor of Aragorn.
So Arwen and Aragorn are first cousin's, but about a 100 removed, or however many generations have gone by since Elros, i'm not sure of the exact number.

Also relevant to this discussion is What is a Maia?
Answer: A Maia is sort of like an angel or daemon, some of (possibly all) the Wizards are Maia but so is the Balrog.

Anyway heres some math :D :
M = Maia
E = Elf
H = Human

Melian (100%M) + Thingol (100%E)
begot Luthien (50%E, 50%M) + Beren (100%H)
begot Dior (50%H, 25%E, 25%M) + Nimloth (100%E)
begot Elwing (25%H, 62.5%E, 12.5%M)

meanwhile Idril (100%E) + Tuor (100%H)
begot Earendil (50%E, 50%H)

meanwhile Galadriel (100%E) + Celeborn (100%E)
begot Celebrian (100%E)

Earendil + Elwing
begot Elrond (37.5%H, 56.25%E, 6.25%M) + Celebrian (100%E)
begot Arwen (18.75%H, 78.125%E, 3.125%M)

So now you know, he is in fact a little more than half-elven :) .

Annette Wreade1872 wrote: "That's a rhetorical question as i worked out the answer some time ago :). Firstly it's a rare fact that Galadriel is Elrond's mother-in-law and Arwen's grandmother.

Strangely this doesn't get much..."

I have always admired people who take the time to do the math. You are much more thorough than I.

message 3: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan Great analysis. Thank you!

Debbie M Great response Wreade1872. I enjoy Tolkien, but my brother would be on your level! He's been reading, rereading, studying Tolkien since high school.

Preston THANK YOU!!! I have been waiting SO LONG to find somebody who shows the same level of fascination with these books as me! Again THANK YOU!!!

Susan O Really interesting. Thanks for the info.