Play Book Tag discussion

Patty Jane's House of Curl
This topic is about Patty Jane's House of Curl
Archive: Other Books > Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2050 comments Patty Jane and Harriet Dobbin grew up with alcoholic parents, unable to get a true feeling of happy family life. At 20 year old, Patty Jane falls quickly in love with the breathtakingly handsome Thor Rolvaag and the two marry soon after. When Patty Jane tells her new husband that she is pregnant, Thor is less than thrilled at the prospect of being a daddy. Just a few days before Patty Jane gives birth to a daughter, Nora, Thor disappears without a trace.

Harriet meets and falls for the wealthy Avel Ames, the heir to a cereal grain empire. Although Avel is older and smaller (5'2"), he sweeps Harriet off her feet and a wedding is planned. Thor's disappearance, business trips, and Patty Jane's need for her sister continue to postpone the wedding.

Needing to make some money to raise Nora, Patty Jane turns part of her house into a beauty shop. Harriet becomes an employee, as well as Ione, Thor's mother, who has taken Patty Jane and Nora under her motherly wings. Local women become regular customers sharing their own lives with the two sisters.

This was a pleasant enough book except that there just seems to be no end to the tragedies that these two sisters face. Their characters are likeable as are the peripheral characters. It was fun reading about a beauty salon in the 50's and 60's with a lot of song titles, products and lingo from the era. It was just a bit too sad for my taste.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, it was different than what I thought it would be based on the title.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5529 comments I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was the first Landvik I read, and I've read all her books since.