What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA: boy underground, caste system, uses magic, mom sick, surface world is dark

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ebcaver (new)

Ebcaver | 1 comments boy lives underground and uses stones filled with magic to cast light that makes music and his mom is sick but likes shrimp but they can not even afford meds for her. it is a caste system that they wear different color clothes depending on how useful or rich the person is. he gets in trouble for something. decides to leave the community by using a gas mask to get through a toxic environment to go above ground and meets this angry girl who lives with her family on a ship that uses a large light filled stone at the top of the mast to guide them. they get separated from her family and go on adventure and i think they find an area with real sunlight, but there were weird creatures there... i think i read it between 1995-2005 time frame. i remember so much about the book but not the name at all.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32285 comments Mod
Ayshe's suggestion of The Fall looks promising. Quickly scanning Amazon's preview: "Shrimps were his mother's favorite, and hard to come by, since they were rarely trapped in the deep underground streams by the Underfolk." (p. 33)

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Ebcaver, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Garth Nix (other topics)