Men's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Archives > testosterone-fueled fiction

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard M (rmaseles) | 9 comments Does anyone here share my love for fiction with protagonists that are unabashedly masculine? Examples from my favorite books include:

Shibumi by Trevanian- hero (shorter to type than protagonist) is, in one person, a world-class assassin, lover, Go master who takes on the world's oil companies and their lackeys in the CIA. Guess who wins?

The Last Kiss by James Crumley- alcoholic PI hired to find a best-selling author who is even more of an alkie. Some violence, some gratuitous sex, great writing (Crumley graduated from the Iowa Writers Workshop before it got too precious), ending that sucks the air out of the room.

Savages by Don Winslow- discovered Winslow when he wrote the sequel to "Shibumi," which I was not that dazzled by, but so many good reviews for this one made me read it. High-end marijuana growers in SoCal, one intellectual, the other an ex-Navy Seal who misses war in the "Stans," have their business taken over by a violent Mexican drug gang. They fight back. Wild, hilarious writing. Check out chapter 1 if nothing else. I bet you'll read chapter 2.

Hungry as the Sea by Wilbur Smith- this is even older than "Shibumi" (I think); it was a book I discovered working offshore in the, er, 70s. Deposed shipping tycoon becomes captain of a salvage tug, saves lives and ships, then the world.

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell- former mob hitman changes identities, gets medical degree, is a talented intern whose previous life comes back in subtle ways at first, then really unsubtle. There's a sequel, "Wild Thing," which I didn't enjoy as much.

The Dave Robicheaux series of James Lee Burke- as with all series, earlier books are usually better than later. Robicheaux is a good cop with lots of problems- Vietnam, liquor, a propensity to have too much in common with the criminals he deals with. Burke is another immensely gifted writer; even his less-wonderful books still contain splendid description.

The Travis McGee books of John MacDonald- Trav lives a boat bum's life on a houseboat in Florida, only coming ashore to solve problems for people when he needs to top off his cash stash. Big, savvy, competent, catnip for women. Pure escapist fun.

So pour that chardonnay or Grey Goose down the drain, curl up with some tequila (or, better, mezcal, worm and all), and get back in touch with your id.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff K | 10 comments take a look at EATING TREES: comedy with some very funny guy stuff in there.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Boo | 7 comments Jeff - is that your book, or is the name a coincidence?

message 4: by Oz (last edited Jun 13, 2016 10:42PM) (new)

Oz | 5 comments Christopher Moore...select books (especially "Lamb")...ask and I'll tell my favorites. Some I didn't care for.

Reacher books....all good !

Any suggested westerns ?

My tastes are all over the place... I like to change genres. Not a fan of hard SF, Vampires, etc, I'm always looking for a good book or series.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff K | 10 comments J. wrote: "Jeff - is that your book, or is the name a coincidence?"

Er, yes. Shameless self promotion but it seems that it's a guy book, which is not what I intended.

message 6: by J. (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:22AM) (new)

J. Boo | 7 comments Richard Connell's often-filmed short story "The Most Dangerous Game" is terrific. Available for free here and many other places.

message 7: by Oz (new)

Oz | 5 comments Jeff wrote: "J. wrote: "Jeff - is that your book, or is the name a coincidence?"

Er, yes. Shameless self promotion but it seems that it's a guy book, which is not what I intended."

Jeff, no need to apologize...you should be proud...! I love to read...I just wish I could write ! The only thing I've written is my autobiography....messy and I haven't touched it in months. It's more of a diary for my sons....just to let them know about their dad's life. I wish my dad would have done one...

message 8: by Oz (new)

Oz | 5 comments Jeff wrote: "take a look at EATING TREES: comedy with some very funny guy stuff in there."

Where can I find the book? What part of Upstate NY are you from? I lived in Cooperstown for a couple years....loved it ! (except for the winters!)

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff K | 10 comments Oz wrote: "Jeff wrote: "take a look at EATING TREES: comedy with some very funny guy stuff in there."

Where can I find the book? What part of Upstate NY are you from? I lived in Cooperstown for a couple year..."

The book is available on Amazon: ebook, audiobook, and paperback. I live on Long Island but attended Syracuse U for six years. Still have friends there.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff K | 10 comments Wondering why you thought I was from upstate NY?

message 11: by Oz (new)

Oz | 5 comments Jeff wrote: "Wondering why you thought I was from upstate NY?"

Sorry Jeff....I have no idea where I came up with that... Probably got it mixed up with another webpage... My head is firmly in that dark and stinky place.. :)

message 12: by KEVIN (new)

KEVIN | 3 comments You can keep your testosterone levels up by reading Brannan's Run and Brannan’s Chase. If you enjoy two-fisted actioners with clever twists and cliffhanger endings in exotic locations that is. Pure escapism fiction and all the more worthwhile for that.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.