Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Jacks may

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (last edited Jun 12, 2016 08:47AM) (new)

Jack | 179 comments Good reads all round
The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1) by Robert Bryndza the girl in the ice robert bryndza
Good series opener with DCI Banks, a dectective on the rise coming back to a high profile case after bad end to previous arrest operation. Liked her style bit like harry bosch - do what needs to be done doesnt care who she pisses off. A few good twists and enjoyable ending. 4/5
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #5) by Michael Connelly trunk music michael connelly

Good followup from previous in series but took a bit of time clearup what happened since end of last book which was a bit frustrating. Liked the new partnering and head of the department, looking forward to continuing the series. 4/5

To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3) by Spencer Quinn to fetch a thief by spencer quinn
Chet the jet! Really enjoyable read although some of the jokes get a bit repetitive, like bacon references. Loved the scenes with chet and peanut. Really keen to find more of the series but not a lot in my local library. May have splurge and buy them. 4/5.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments The Bosch series by Connelly is one of my all time favorites. You have some good reading ahead of you. That said, I'll definitely have to look into The Girl in the Ice!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments TRUNK MUSIC was one of my favorite Bosch stories.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments I like the atmosphere connelly creates about LA and Las Vaga. I wonder if LA and Las Vagas are really the way he portrays? Im sure things have changed a lot since it was written. LV sounds like a place to visit and not live.
Dawn, i hope youre coping ok after losing your dad recently. The girl in the ice's Last chapter gets a bit emotional with a character development i hope you wont find difficult at the moment.

message 5: by Melodie (last edited Jun 12, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Jack wrote: "I like the atmosphere connelly creates about LA and Las Vaga. I wonder if LA and Las Vagas are really the way he portrays? Im sure things have changed a lot since it was written. LV sounds like a p..."

IMHO, Vegas is definitely a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there! I'm not even that crazy about visiting there anymore! My nephew's MIL lives there and she's looking to get out.

message 6: by Ann (last edited Jun 12, 2016 03:30PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Great list Jack!
I started the first Spencer Quinn Dog on It and my library loan ran out of time before I got too far into it ( the group read books have really had my reading all booked up) I will try it again soon, i liked the start. Thanks for the tips on how good the books are.The Girl in the Ice also looks good.
I think Michael Connelly has a good handle on the feel of LA, not sure about Vegas, but probably there too. He was a Crime Reporter in LA for many years giving him a good perspective and I've seen him speak at a book event where I was quite impressed with his research and style of writing.
Jack wrote: "Good reads all round
The Girl In The Ice the girl in the ice robert bryndza
Good series opener with DCI Banks, a dectective on the rise coming back to a high profile case after..."

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments good list. any month with connelly in it, is good! i like the spencer quinn books, too. they are fun reads.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Jack wrote: "I like the atmosphere connelly creates about LA and Las Vaga. I wonder if LA and Las Vagas are really the way he portrays? Im sure things have changed a lot since it was written. LV sounds like a p..."

Jack you are so kind. Thank you for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind when I finally get around to this book.

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Ann i know what you mean, im trying to catchup the passage and bill hodges series to get to this months books. So far enjoyed the passage and a quarter though the twelve. Mr mecedes is next if i get to it before loan runs out.
Will hopefully find a copy of the fireman soon too.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Jack: I've seen people posting that they reread the first two Cronin books and felt it added to The City of Mirrors. I didn't do that but remembered quite a bit of them due to the previous group discussions. Good reading either way, both those books and the Steohen King are really good trilogies. Enjoy!!
Jack wrote: "Ann i know what you mean, im trying to catchup the passage and bill hodges series to get to this months books. So far enjoyed the passage and a quarter though the twelve. Mr mecedes is next if i ge..."

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments I thought City of Mirrors did a fine job of reminding you what went before sufficient to enjoy the story.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments I agree Barry, a very fine job; there was only one moment reading City of Mirrors when I wished I remembered something better. I don't think reading out of order is a good idea, but reading again might not be necessary. Good books!

Barry wrote: "I thought City of Mirrors did a fine job of reminding you what went before sufficient to enjoy the story."