Don't Say That discussion

Talk About It > Adoption

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments Start

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, the fact that adoption has to exist makes me mad.

"Oh, she was a mistake, I can't keep her."

So, some people abuse their kids and have to give them up, which is even worse! Ugh!

Adoption does benefit couples who can not have children, but how did the adopted child end up in the arms of their new parents?

message 3: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Whatever/Joey/Kassi/Aphrodite/Ninja/Harry wrote: "Okay, the fact that adoption has to exist makes me mad.

So, some people abuse their kids and have to give them up, which is even worse! Ugh!

Adoption d..."

Some teen mothers knoe that they could not support their child lol. I mean, they're still in school for crying out loud. They love their child so much they give him or her up so they can have a better life.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, that's a good point, but once again it goes back to the "mistake" thing. She got pregnant probably knowing she couldn't support the child.
My one exception for this is rape. I understand giving up a child if you were raped and ended up pregnant.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Whatever: Du kan ikke gemme mig fra mig selv wrote: "Okay, the fact that adoption has to exist makes me mad.

Adoption d..."

Here's what i have to say. I do disagree with the 'mistake' thing. its just wrong. We agree there. But as soon as you say parents have the "option" to give their kids up for adoption if they want makes you mad, i get getting ticked off. I take it you were never abused, and I'm guessing you have never met someone who was. So let me clean it up for you. Those kids are living in mentally, physically, and emotionally scarring situations. They wake up every morning getting ready for elementary school and wondering if their going to die today because of the abuse they get. And verbal abuse is no better. It triggers depression, anxiety, and some times similar side effects such as eating disorders and self harm. They live in a world so dark they can love their parents like normal kids. Some find it strange to hear other kids say "I love you, mom/dad". I have a friend and she suffers from depression, bulimia, I'm starting to suspect anorexia lately but that one hasn't been diagnosed, bipolar, self harm, and some other things. Her mom constantly calls her fat and on more than one occasion she's confessed she's been starving herself a few days and i have to get her back to three meals a day, or she's wound up in hospital on suicide watch. Why? Her dad constantly gets more abusive, I'm pretty sure her parents are divorced but whoever she's with constantly sucks. Today she messaged me. "I finally have some good news. I'm in foster care." Honestly, I've never seen her happier. honestly if this had happened sooner and she'd been adopted, she'd be a much happier person, more confident, more "stable" for lack of a better term. And it wasn't her parents choice, their "option". This is the beginning of a new life for her, and if her happiness makes you mad, then you make me mad.

Finally, what if a kid's parents died? Shouldn't they have a right to a new stable home and family without the risk of being chucked to a new one like foster care?