Cozy Mysteries discussion

Authors needing help > Goodreads quotes question

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Authors: have you added a quote from one of your own books to your Goodreads author page? Or do you only choose quotes by other authors?

Readers: do you enjoy reading quotes on a Goodread author's page? What strikes you as an intriguing quote?

All: any opinions on optimal length?

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 151 comments I did put one of my own up as well as quotes from others. When my protagonist, a Realtor named Regan McHenry, breaks all her rules about pre-purchase home inspections and a partially mummified body is discovered in a wall anomaly as she gets ready to remodel, her policeman friend says, "your house, Regan, your murder." I like that phrase, and so does amateur sleuth Regan who takes it as an invitation to start poking around the unsolved murder.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Weber (tracywe) | 345 comments I put up a few. But I think I left off the best. The first line of my novel made it to Mystery Scene Magazine as a notable first line, but I never put it on Goodreads. I still wonder if I should.

message 4: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17338 comments Mod
Nancy ~ Good quote!

Tracy ~ Go for it!

I do sometimes browse quotes on author/book pages, and have even added a few when I didn't see one I like already posted. I try to keep them short, though, no more than a couple lines. I've seen a few instances where it looks like the author (or reader) has posted an entire page or more from their book, and that, IMO, is a complete turn-off.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Heather L wrote: "Nancy ~ Good quote!

Tracy ~ Go for it!

I do sometimes browse quotes on author/book pages, and have even added a few when I didn't see one I like already posted. I try to keep them short, though,..."

I totally agree with Heather - try to keep the quotes short. I think a lot of GR librarians also delete ones they feel are too long - they stop being quotes and start becoming excerpts.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Tracy wrote: "I put up a few. But I think I left off the best. The first line of my novel made it to Mystery Scene Magazine as a notable first line, but I never put it on Goodreads. I still wonder if I should."

Yes, you should!