2016 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge discussion

Big Books Completed/Reviews

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 85 comments Mod
If you don't have a blog (or if you want to in addition to your blog review), you can use this discussion thread for Big Books you finish this summer - just to announce you finished and/or to post a short review for others.

If you have a blog, then post your Big Book Reviews on the 2nd linkup list on the Challenge page so that others can find them & visit:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/2016...

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 16 comments I've now finished the first two books in the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and The Answer. Reviews will be up at my blog in July--most likely!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 16 comments And I just finished reading/reviewing Bleak House by Charles Dickens. This chunkster is over 900 pages long. It is an intimidating but satisfying read. I highly recommend the miniseries ;)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Due to a NOOK glitch, I was forced to finish Ship of Fools sooner than I had planned. Boy, this book is terribly hateful, petty, cruel, misogynistic, and classist on the eve of World War II. Many of the characters are Germans returning to "home" after living in Mexico. The steerage is overflowing with more than 800 migrant workers forced to return to their homeland And the four Americans have issues of their own.

As hard as it was to read this 500 page 1956 version (as in, this book I have is as old as I am) is actually quite a character study and considered a "masterpiece". As for me, I'm glad I read it, but it was very upsetting at times

message 5: by Suzan (new)

Becky wrote: "I've now finished the first two books in the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and The Answer. Reviews will be up at my blog in July--most likely!"

As I said in the other thread, I loved this trilogy! My reviews are about a month behind, so no worries! Be sure to add your Big Books to the Bookshelf in this group.

message 6: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Due to a NOOK glitch, I was forced to finish Ship of Fools sooner than I had planned. Boy, this book is terribly hateful, petty, cruel, misogynistic, and classist on the eve of World War II. Many o..."

Wow, those kinds of books can be really hard to get through, Andrea. Good for you for persevering. Thanks for the overview!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) My NOOK is backup and running almost 100%. My bookfunnel / overdrive won't let me in though....AAAARGH!

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (clutterbug89) | 14 comments My review of The Luminaries: I was really looking forward to reading this book and while it has a good plot it did seem to drag on at points. I also had to remind myself of the relationships between certain characters at various times. I would have given it a higher rating if the book had been more concise.

message 9: by Suzan (new)

I finally posted a review of my first Big Book of the Summer! It was The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, the fourth & final book in her Raven Cycle series, which was excellent from beginning to end. It's a YA series. Here's my review:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2016/0...

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky | 16 comments I've reviewed the fourth book I've read for the challenge: a nonfiction title called War of Two.

http://blbooks.blogspot.com/2016/07/w...

message 11: by Suzan (new)

Becky wrote: "I've reviewed the fourth book I've read for the challenge: a nonfiction title called War of Two.

http://blbooks.blogspot.com/2016/07/w..."

Wow, you are really tearing through those Big Books, Becky! Good for you! Don't forget to add you link to the link-up page i the review links :)

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/2016...

message 12: by Heidi'sbooks (new)

Heidi'sbooks | 1 comments I finished Middlemarch! The review is posted here and on my website.

message 13: by Deb (new)

Deb Finished Whistling Women. My review is posted on Goodreads!

message 14: by Suzan (new)

Heidi'sbooks wrote: "I finished Middlemarch! The review is posted here and on my website."

Wonderful! That was incredibly quick! Did you like it? I thought it was very clever & witty. Thanks for adding your link to the Challenge page!

message 15: by Suzan (new)

Deb wrote: "Finished Whistling Women. My review is posted on Goodreads!"

Wonderful, Deb - you're off to a great start!

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna (clutterbug89) | 14 comments I've just finished the omnibus of the first three lost library books and posted a review on goodreads.

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 11 comments I finished Blonde a week ago, but haven't found time to write a blog post yet.

message 18: by Deb (new)

Deb Happy Monday! I just finished Flight Patterns review up on Goodreads.

message 19: by Suzan (new)

Donna wrote: "I've just finished the omnibus of the first three lost library books and posted a review on goodreads."

Wow, you're on a reading streak!

message 20: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "I finished Blonde a week ago, but haven't found time to write a blog post yet."

Can't wait to read your review - I've heard good things about it!

message 21: by Suzan (new)

Deb wrote: "Happy Monday! I just finished Flight Patterns review up on Goodreads."

Great, Deb! I'll go check that out...

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna (clutterbug89) | 14 comments Finished The Warded Man (US)/The Painted Man (UK) today. Here is my review. I will admit that at points during this book I had to flick back to remind myself which of the characters narrative I was now reading but the reason I gave this books 5* is that through that this book is still a page turner. When the three main characters come together in the final chapters is where this book makes the page flicking worth while. I cannot wait to start book 2.

message 23: by Suzan (last edited Jul 17, 2016 03:35PM) (new)

Donna wrote: "Finished The Warded Man (US)/The Painted Man (UK) today. Here is my review. I will admit that at points during this book I had to flick back to remind myself which of the characters narrative I was..."

Wow, you're really tearing through the Big Books this summer, Donna! This one sounds intriguing - glad you liked it well enough to want to read the sequel! I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks for the description.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky | 16 comments Finished Hamilton Affair a day or two ago. My review will be posted on my blog later this week.

message 25: by Suzan (new)

Becky wrote: "Finished Hamilton Affair a day or two ago. My review will be posted on my blog later this week."

Great! I look forward to it!

message 26: by Linda (last edited Aug 19, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Linda Gill (lloudle) | 6 comments I have finished "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and should have my review up later this week. It was a tough book emotionally but a powerful read. I am so glad I read it, even at age 68! Just took me time to decide to read it.
My review is @ https://thereaderandthebookreviews.wo...

message 27: by Suzan (new)

Linda wrote: "I have finished "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and should have my review up later this week. It was a tough book emotionally but a powerful read. I am so glad I read it, even at age 68! Just took me time to d..."

Congratulations, Linda! That's a great accomplishment. I've always wanted to read it, too, but had no idea it was such a long book.

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 11 comments Here's my review of Blonde, by Joyce Carol Oates, first of my summer big books: http://janegs.blogspot.com/2016/07/bl...

message 29: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "Here's my review of Blonde, by Joyce Carol Oates, first of my summer big books: http://janegs.blogspot.com/2016/07/bl..."

Thanks for the review, Jane, and congratulations on finishing your first Big Book of the Summer!!

message 30: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) I finished The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro. I do like reading a historical fiction novel and learning something about a historical person, event or subject I knew little about. In this novel, I learned much about perfumeries.

message 31: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) I am currently reading two "big books", The Secret Place by Tana French and The Fireman by Joe Hill.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) John wrote: "I finished The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro. I do like reading a historical fiction novel and learning something about a historical person, event or subject I knew little about. In this n..."

I loved that book John. I love Coco Chanel and anything perfume for a larger sized person is a way of wearing designers we can't fit into

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Actually reading :" The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years" which comes in at 577 pg in the kindle edition.I hope to get the second volume read as well.....oh, and Ithaca is in, but its been too blessed hot to do much to go get it

message 34: by Suzan (new)

John wrote: "I finished The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro. I do like reading a historical fiction novel and learning something about a historical person, event or subject I knew little about. In this n..."

I've heard that novel is interesting. Congratulations on finishing a Big Book, John!

message 35: by Suzan (new)

John wrote: "I am currently reading two "big books", The Secret Place by Tana French and The Fireman by Joe Hill."

Oooh...my husband and I LOVE the Tana French novels! In fact, I've only read the first one so far, so #2 is on my Big Book Summer stack, too. My husband has read the first 4 & can't wait for the next! He also enjoyed NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. Enjoy both!

message 36: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Actually reading :" The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years" which comes in at 577 pg in the kindle edition.I hope to get the se..."

That sounds like a fun one, Andrea! Enjoy!

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Just finished "Fifty Year Mission...." vol 1. I posted my review with the book on the shelf. Hoping Ithaca will join it soon.

In the meantime, I have read Fallen Light, Ship of Fools, and now "50 year Mission", all just around 600 pp

message 38: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Just finished "Fifty Year Mission...." vol 1. I posted my review with the book on the shelf. Hoping Ithaca will join it soon.

In the meantime, I have read Fallen Light, Ship of Fools, and now "50 ..."

Wow, you're doing a lot better than I am! Just 1 Big Book so far :( Too many book group & review obligations got in the way. Devoting August to Big Books solely!

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Sue, I don't have a life for part of the year...if its too hot or cold, I don't go anywhere because this weeble wobbles and I can't breathe in this weather....so....I read...and read.....~135 books so far this year

message 40: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Sue, I don't have a life for part of the year...if its too hot or cold, I don't go anywhere because this weeble wobbles and I can't breathe in this weather....so....I read...and read.....~135 books..."

I totally understand - I have a chronic illness. And really can't stand the heat! I m fortunate to have found some treatments that help me, so I function OK (albeit with a daily nap & early bedtime!). Enjoying reading definitely helps when I'm wiped out, though!

135 books so far this year is amazing! I usually read about 70 a year. Then again, I still have 2 sons (young men now but still around) to keep me busy!

message 41: by Andrea (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:00AM) (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) I have two zebra finch and g'children far away. Spouse is a former librarian w/NYPL and I'm a retired minister...both pre-internet....we have about 14 5- shelf bookcases between us and that's AFTER culling this year;) Stay cool everybody

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda Gill (lloudle) | 6 comments Linda wrote: "I have finished "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and should have my review up later this week. It was a tough book emotionally but a powerful read. I am so glad I read it, even at age 68! Just took me time to d..."

I have written my review on my blog - The Reader and the Book @ https://thereaderandthebookreviews.wo...
and on Goodreads @ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Thanks for the challenge. A long awaited challenge, to say the least!!

message 43: by Suzan (new)

Linda wrote: "Linda wrote: "I have finished "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and should have my review up later this week. It was a tough book emotionally but a powerful read. I am so glad I read it, even at age 68! Just too..."

Great! Way to go, Linda! I am waaaay on my Classics Challenge for this year, so good for you!

message 44: by Suzan (new)

I was getting frustrated that I wasn't reading my Big Books due to obligations for book groups & reviews...then I realized the one I just finished for my family book group was 460 pages! Yay! An unexpected Big Book!

Here's my review of Snow Falling on Cedars:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2016/0...

message 45: by Deb (new)

Deb Just finished The Fireman! Review up on Goodreads.

message 46: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) I just finished The Secret Place by Tana French (★★★★). The author enlists the reader as the latest member of the Dublin Murder Squad. As the detectives investigate a recent clue from a cold case, the reader joins with them exploring leads and discovering red herrings. (452 pages)

message 47: by Suzan (new)

Deb wrote: "Just finished The Fireman! Review up on Goodreads."

Oooh...it sounds so good! I gave my husband NOS4A2 last year - will have to get The Fireman, too!

message 48: by Suzan (new)

John wrote: "I just finished
The Secret Place
by Tana French (★★★★). The author enlists the reader as the latest member of the Dublin Murder Squad. As the detectives investigate a recent clue from a cold ca..."

Oh, that sounds like a unique approach, John! I know my husband enjoyed that book. I have only read the first one so far, so I have some catching up to do!

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky | 16 comments I finished TESTAMENT OF YOUTH last night. I wanted to do a victory dance--but didn't. I have written a review on GoodReads, but it won't publish on the blog for a few more weeks.

message 50: by Suzan (new)

Becky wrote: "I finished TESTAMENT OF YOUTH last night. I wanted to do a victory dance--but didn't. I have written a review on GoodReads, but it won't publish on the blog for a few more weeks."

Way to go, Becky! I look forward to your review - remember to add the link to the links list on the challenge page :)

« previous 1