Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
This topic is about A Court of Thorns and Roses
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maas, Sarah J. - A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) - Informal Buddy Read, Start Date Jun 12, 2016

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Book synopsis:
A thrilling, seductive new series from New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas, blending Beauty and the Beast with faerie lore.

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 5: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) Have you guys started it or were you waiting? I just assumed and I got started on Friday. I'm on chapter 12, I think? Enjoying it so far!

Anna Nesterovich | 189 comments Can I join?

Claudia | 435 comments How are we doing this? Will we be reading like 5 chapters a day or just as much as we want?

message 8: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) Of course, Anna!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

better get started and catch up to Ally :p Really glad you're liking it so far.

message 10: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) Haha, I'll hold off on reading it for a bit.

Claudia, I'm not sure. The way I've always done buddy reads is everyone reads at their own pace. And if you have something spoilery to say, you just put it in a spoiler tag for those who haven't read that far. But if y'all want to come up with a schedule that's fine too. I'm up for anything.

Tammie Tackett i started this book already and loving it so far

message 12: by Roseena (new)

Roseena Peralta | 295 comments I'm going to join you guys, I only read up to chapter 5

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 422 comments I'm behind. I'm going to start today and I'll try to read five chapters a day.

message 14: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 422 comments Claudia I agree with Ally since everyone may not be able to read as many chapters as the next person. Spoiler tags help with not giving details away to others that haven't made it to where you are yet.

I'm starting today and I'm reading 5 chapters a day, so if you want to read 5 chapters a day with me then we'll be right at the same part every day.

message 15: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) For everyone who's started, how are y'all enjoying it? What do you think of Feyre and her family? (Spoilers for first 2 chapters) (view spoiler)

Claudia | 435 comments Brianna wrote: "I'm starting today and I'm reading 5 chapters a day, so if you want to read 5 chapters a day with me then we'll be right at the same part every day. "

Awesome It'll be great the know for sure someone's on the same page.

Claudia | 435 comments Ally wrote: "For everyone who's started, how are y'all enjoying it? What do you think of Feyre and her family?

I'm not liking her family so much. Her sisters come off as spoiled and selfish. She's the youngest but she's the one supporting her family. That totally goes against my instincts of the oldest look after the younger siblings. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I think I'm going to have to drop out of this one. I've heard that the second book contains explicit sex scenes, and that's just not for me. Sorry!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

That's too bad, maybe we'll see you in another buddy read.

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nesterovich | 189 comments Am I the only one who finds the first chapters and the family completely improbable? I just can't believe that a bunch of people, whoever they used to be, can't learn in eight years to do household chores. Or still not store dried meat, vegetables, herbs, and fire wood for the winter. Isn't hunting easier in autumn?

Tammie Tackett happy reading everyone

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Anna, I mean how beyond lazy, and incompetent would you have to be to not know how to live. I mean background aside, even children would know how to do these things if they had the desire to learn. So I guess that's what it comes down to for her family, they are perfectly content to complain about their lot in life and let our girl do all the work

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nesterovich | 189 comments Amy wrote: "I agree with Anna, I mean how beyond lazy, and incompetent would you have to be to not know how to live. I mean background aside, even children would know how to do these things if they had the des..."

I can buy it that the author tried to portray the family in that way - lazy, content and not caring enough. But what about the heroine? What prevents her from storing provision for winter, rather than hunting every week (or even every day) all winter long relying on questinable luck?

message 24: by Claudia (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Claudia | 435 comments Anna wrote: "What prevents her from storing provision for winter, rather than hunting every week (or even every day) all winter long relying on questinable luck? ."

I dunno i think it probably goes back to her family maybe they don't take the rationing seriously? From the way she describes them it wouldn't surprise me if they ate more than they should expecting her to continue to provide for them once they run out. Or it's also probable that even in the non winter months game is scarce.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah, that is a possibility as well. She could be storing things away only to have her family eat more than they need. But I see what Anna is saying, if her family is unwilling to help and store then what is stopping our heroine from doing so?

Tammie Tackett this book started out to be good then went down hill and i had to stop reading it will not be reading the 2nd book

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

oh no, that's too bad you didn't like it. I haven't gotten very far yet but it's ok so far.

Claudia | 435 comments So is anyone still reading this book? I had put it down after chapter 5 due to annoyance with the characters but just picked it up again. I recently picked it up again and am now on chapter 13 and its picking up and becoming more interesting. I know many have set it down due to hearing that the next book has too much sexual content but was curious if anyone else was still reading it or had already finished reading it on their own?

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nesterovich | 189 comments I already finished it. And the next one (I wouldn't say it has too much sexual content, just a little bit and quite plain). But it doesn't mean we can't discuss it :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Court of Thorns and Roses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah J. Maas (other topics)