Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Opinions > Adults reading YA

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronny (new)

Ronny (shadowpay) | 4 comments As a 44 year old male i often get comments on my taste in books, the fantasy/sci-fi and specially YA category has a poor standing in the adult reading community. I read “normal” adult books as well but they never give me the same good feeling and hope for the future as YA books. I often feel that the YA genre has a sweet innocent vibe that is lacking in adult books. The “coldness” in adult book relationships (often with lack of faithfulness) , the brutality of the world (cruelty and blind violence), I read books to get away from our imperfect world and dream of a better one :). It might be that im a wuss or that I have a reading midlife crisis. Kind of tired that most of my reads 2016 might be categorized as “guilty pleasures”

Any other “adult” YA readers feeling they have to hide this genre from friends and colleges :D.

Best regards
Ronny

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Casser | 13 comments I agree that YA sci-fi is generally more optimistic than adult sci-fi, but I don't think there is less brutality. The difference is that the YA books often have lots more hope of overcoming the brutality and short-sightedness and building a better world. Almost Ayn Rand-ian.

Perhaps your taste-commenters have never read the better YA books, but only know about the silly/vacuous ones. Of course, the more "literary" YA "coming of age" sci-fi is often considered YA/Adult crossover, like "Lord of the Flies," "Space Cadet," "Ender's Game," and my book, "No Child Left Behind." :)

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
I wouldn't worry about what they say. How many of them went to see or have seen Hunger Games, Divergent and even Twilight. Most of the time they don't understand what YA is.

message 4: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 433 comments Ronny

That is exactly how I feel when I read YA and "Normal Adult Books".

I read to escape reality and the good feeling that I get when the characters over come their issues. I'm living in this crazy world, I really don't want to read anymore about it. The few Adult Novels I've read I never get the same feelings I get when I read YA/Adult, and I do torture myself at least once a month and read a "normal adult book". I like the way I feel when I read YA, so those that criticize because I'm soon to be a 44 year old female (September 22) can go suck on an egg. They probably haven't picked up a YA/Adult book, heck they probably haven't picked up a book in their life or they would know never to judge a book or the person reading it by it's cover or genera!

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssayuri) | 35 comments I started reading a lot when i was 18... Pretty late if you ask me. I always thought to myself that the reason why i keep on reading YA is because it's to compensate for what i missed when i was a teenager. But i'm pretty sure that's not the whole truth. My co-workers are readers too. When they asked me what i read i said with some embarassment, "i read sci-fi, romance... Mostly YA..." And they asked me, "what's YA?" All of us knew we had different tastes in books.. *sigh* i read adult novels too but sometimes i just feel like they're too boring for me and sometimes the plots are not interesting enough... I still love YA... And just so other adults won't judge me, i would always think that the people who write YA are mostly adults!

message 6: by L.S. (new)

L.S. May | 15 comments I'm only 24, so most aren't too harsh on me for reading it, but I pass all my favourite books onto my mother, and I think she only reads the books I give her. She likes them.

I've always found YA faster paced and more interesting than adult stuff.

message 7: by Ronny (new)

Ronny (shadowpay) | 4 comments Thanks a lot for a your views, always feels a bit better not feeling totally alone :)

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm 39 and have started steering more towards YA now rather than the books I've always read. I find the YA books are more fun and clean. My daughter wants me to read the James Patterson series Maximum Ride as she just finished the whole series and loved it.

message 9: by C.L. (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:05AM) (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 5 comments I don't hide my YA choices but then again I also frequently read things like Roald Dahl and EB White in public too.

I like YA because I love young love. I love the sweetness of falling in love with someone for the first time, all those firsts. Adult books have so much jadedness, because we do get jaded. A book about thirty or forty year olds falling in love would be unrealistic if it didn't have disappointments and ex husbands and kids and general exhaustion.

I have lots of that in real life (well, not an ex husband, I am happily married, but from friends etc) and sometimes it's nice to revisit the sweetness of the younger years.

At the same time, I think that it is genuinely awful to be a young adult. Being a teenager or early 20s adult SUCKS. And sometimes YA reminds me of that, too.

And finally, sometimes YA is simply the best age choice for exciting things happening in the story. The Hunger Games would have been totally different if Katniss were a thirty year old with two toddlers. Divergent wouldn't have worked with divorcees.

Once you have fully fledged adults as the protagonists, things get encumbered and messy and there's kids and stuff thrown in.

Young adult is where the new exciting things are happening.

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssayuri) | 35 comments Exactly!!! I feel like adult books are so full of drama and reality, and we already have those in real life. I mean YA books, have drama too but i actually learn something from that drama... But yeah, the freshness of experiences of the characters, the first loves and all that, i truly find amazing and mesmerizing!

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Jenn wrote: "I'm 39 and have started steering more towards YA now rather than the books I've always read. I find the YA books are more fun and clean. My daughter wants me to read the James Patterson series Maxi..."

I'm slightly older than 39 Jenn and I loved The Maximum Ride series! Was so sad when it was over.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Alyssa wrote: "Exactly!!! I feel like adult books are so full of drama and reality, and we already have those in real life. I mean YA books, have drama too but i actually learn something from that drama... But ye..."

Exactly Alyssa! That is why I love YA. The drama, for the most part isn't something that is devastating and I would rather read about that than the stuff that's in the news and our real lives.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

C. wrote: "I don't hide my YA choices but then again I also frequently read things like Roald Dahl and EB White in public too.

I like YA because I love young love. I love the sweetness of falling in love wi..."

Couldn't have said it better C.

message 14: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 42 comments At 67 I have just entered the world of YA. I have spent a life time of reading sci fi , fantasy and crime novels. So far twilight series, vampire academy series , Becca Fitzpatrick, Cassandra Clare.

I do understand Ronny and the misunderstanding of friends. I too try not to let them know what I am reading. But then again many of my friends find my sci fi and fantasy world a bit strange.

Having a sister who is an English teacher and talks about my "shallow" books is annoying .

BUt so be it, I love this new genre

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose I've always read YA I don't think I can quit. Some people say I'm to old that I should be reading Adult, but the ya genre is to vast and has to many books to miss.

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Kateb wrote: "At 67 I have just entered the world of YA. I have spent a life time of reading sci fi , fantasy and crime novels. So far twilight series, vampire academy series , Becca Fitzpatrick, Cassandra Clare..."

I wouldn't worry about your sister much because a lot of people don't understand. I read to get away from life and YA is a good getaway. Not as much sex and language and many times there is a good lesson to them.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Lexie wrote: "I've always read YA I don't think I can quit. Some people say I'm to old that I should be reading Adult, but the ya genre is to vast and has to many books to miss."

It does Lexie.

message 18: by Kateb (last edited Apr 11, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

Kateb | 42 comments ta to all, reading lots now I am retired!!!!! a bit of skiting there. I have worked since I was 18 when I started to work and didn't have any time off except for a few months for each child , so enjoying the break.

picking up some really good books here, what about Fitzgibbons?

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Kateb wrote: "ta to all, reading lots now I am retired!!!!! a bit of skiting there. I have worked since I was 18 when I started to work and didn't have any time off except for a few months for each child , so en..."

I need to retire and move to a tropical island!

message 20: by Kateb (last edited Apr 11, 2017 02:56PM) (new)

Kateb | 42 comments Tracy wrote: "Kateb wrote: "ta to all, reading lots now I am retired!!!!! a bit of skiting there. I have worked since I was 18 when I started to work and didn't have any time off except for a few months for each..."

books get all soggy on an island, what is better than sitting in the sun in your garden, or in a comfy chair in the house with music in the background.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading my children's school novels. Mainly to check what they were reading and discuss it with them. I've just kept on with the young adult genre ever since.

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Ruby wrote: "I started reading my children's school novels. Mainly to check what they were reading and discuss it with them. I've just kept on with the young adult genre ever since."

That's a really good reason Ruby.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Kateb wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Kateb wrote: "ta to all, reading lots now I am retired!!!!! a bit of skiting there. I have worked since I was 18 when I started to work and didn't have any time off except for a few m..."

Oh but my island would have a garden Kateb.

message 24: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 42 comments Tracy wrote: "Kateb wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Kateb wrote: "ta to all, reading lots now I am retired!!!!! a bit of skiting there. I have worked since I was 18 when I started to work and didn't have any time off exce..."

look me up then , there could be nothing better than reading there.

So many books to read so little time, people expect me to actually go out a lot.

Currently reading Kylie Chan

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kateb wrote: " So many books to read so little time, people expect me to actually go out a lot.."

I agree. My daughter asked what we are doing on the weekend. I said I just want to stay home and read my book.

message 26: by Jenny (last edited Apr 12, 2017 08:52PM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1075 comments I never hide what I read. I really don't care what others think. I don't really get shamed much for it, either.

My family is all a bunch of readers, and we read EVERYTHING. There's never been any shame in what we read, even if I am the one who mainly reads YA. I do pass on the really good ones to my mom, and she has gotten in to them now.

I actually work at a senior assisted living facility, and I talk about YA books to some of the residents. They think its fascinating and really awesome! Several of them actually read YA. They think they are way more entertaining, and nice quick reads. When you get older, its sometimes a lot harder to hold onto a dense plot. Its easier for them to have something entertaining with a lot of action and a fast moving plot. So they completely get it!

I also go to lots of author events and signings, and have done a ton of online events and socializing with several authors, not to mention beta reading and book reviews, so everyone I talk to thinks that's pretty cool.

If they do "look down on what I'm reading" I probably wouldn't even know about it. I give them no room to dis what I read. When I talk about it, I own it, loud and proud. Most people will rarely criticize someone who is truly passionate about something.

So own it people! Shout out what you love!! :)

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1075 comments Ruby wrote: "I started reading my children's school novels. Mainly to check what they were reading and discuss it with them. I've just kept on with the young adult genre ever since."

That's how I got started too :)

message 28: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 42 comments I suppose the idea of hiding what I read is not what I meant. I just get soooo sick of explaining the joys of what I read. I worked in a science background, research, teaching , computer programming.

So it is easier to just put the book down face down, or turn off the kindle and enjoy friendship without trying to explain a side of myself that they don't understand.

I would get a bit techy if someone told me those books indicated something bad about my personality or intelligence.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1075 comments Kateb wrote: "I suppose the idea of hiding what I read is not what I meant. I just get soooo sick of explaining the joys of what I read. I worked in a science background, research, teaching , computer programmin..."

I was actually responding to the first comment on this thread that originated this discussion :)

message 30: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 42 comments it is so great to find so many adults enjoying the same books that I do. Can we have a suggestion list please.

has anyone read the Cassandra Clare series>

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Kateb wrote: "it is so great to find so many adults enjoying the same books that I do. Can we have a suggestion list please.

has anyone read the Cassandra Clare series>"

Almost all of them have read Clare's series and loved it. We have a book shelf that may be helpful to you Kateb.

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 12 comments I suppose I still count as NA since I'm 23, but most of my bookshelves are YA or YA/NA crossovers. I know my teenage/early adult years aren't that far behind me, but I find a lot of complexity in the characters I read about, and understanding about so many issues. Plenty of YA books have helped me in my real life in various ways and that's just one reason why I love them so much.

Adult books seem to care more about what we get in real life and I don't want to have to deal with or think about that anymore than I currently do. YA gives me a break to escape it.

message 33: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) As a writer who still writes the YA and NA genre, it's important for me to READ that genre too!