Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Use of magic

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Greg Hello! I have just joined your group, so thank you for creating and maintaining it.

I have just commenced my sventh read of book one and have a question.

Apologies if the answer is obvious.
Here it is...

Hey!

If harry got in trouble for using magic outside of Hogwarts when he fought off two Dementors (book 6?) with his patronus charm, then why is Hagrid allowed to use magic TWICE early in book one in front of the Dursleys, once he is confessed he tried to turn a muggle (dudley) into a pig, but failed?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad

Izzy Greg wrote: "Hello! I have just joined your group, so thank you for creating and maintaining it.

I have just commenced my sventh read of book one and have a question.

Apologies if the answer is obvious.
Here..."

Hi Greg,
I'm sorry to say you haven't posted in the group, but have opened a thread on the main page.
In order to post in a thread/create a thread within a group, you need to do it on the group's page: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Greg Ok thanks and sorry.

Izzy Greg wrote: "Ok thanks and sorry."

You're welcome :)

Mitali Greg wrote: "If harry got in trouble for using magic outside of Hogwarts when he fought off two Dementors (book 6?) with his patronus charm, then why is Hagrid allowed to use magic TWICE early in book one in front of the Dursleys, once he is confessed he tried to turn a muggle (dudley) into a pig, but failed?"

Hagrid is an adult. He doesn't have the Trace on him. The Ministry has no way of tracking whether he is doing magic or not.

Harry is a child during most of the books (he turns 17 - which is the age of adulthood in the Wizarding world - at the beginning of Deathly Hallows). He has the Trace on him, which allows the Ministry to track whether any magic is done in his whereabouts.

Greg Ok thanks. Forgot the child-tracking rule.