The Sword and Laser discussion

Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)
This topic is about Updraft
Updraft > UD: Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 473 comments Is it just me, or does the illustration on the book cover come nowhere close to capturing the wings that are described within the book?

In my mind's eye they are something much more graceful. More like an integrated extension of the flyer's own limbs.

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3489 comments Mod
They look like a hang glider on the books cover.

The alternate cover wings look more like I imagine them.

description

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 473 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "The alternate cover wings look more like I imagine them.

"

Ah! I hadn't seen that version. Yes, that's a bit more like how I had pictured them.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2446 comments I have a problem with the idea you could control the wings and shoot a bow at the same time.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 633 comments I pictured them more like wings on the back like a hang glider, with a pulley type system that you used your hands and feet to adjust in a way that still left your hands free to carry/use other items.

Like a more complex version of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVrM5...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, love the new cover art much more!

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments It's got the beads in her hair!

Lara | 24 comments Leesa wrote: "I pictured them more like wings on the back like a hang glider, with a pulley type system that you used your hands and feet to adjust in a way that still left your hands free to carry/use other ite..."

Leesa, I think the wings are more like that it since they are described as articulating and being locked into position. However, there is clearly a hang gliding type of harness as well as there are finger controls and a foot bar.

The towers on the alternate cover look more like I would have pictured them as well. It seems the ones on the image used for the US hard cover are too narrow and too close together.

terpkristin | 4117 comments I also envisioned the wings more like the "alternate" cover, but I assumed they were bat-like from the beginning, probably because I think bats are great (I even have a tattoo of one!). (view spoiler)

Paulo Limp (paulolimp) | 164 comments I have trouble picturing the wings as well. I do tend to think about them as having the size of a hang glider, but there are several examples that seem to hint at them being much smaller, and foldeable. Sometimes hands are needed to control it, but sometimes they can be freed to hold someone or wield a weapon.

The cover art helps a lot!

Shaunesay | 13 comments The towers on the US cover definitely give a feeling of vertebrae, in my opinion, I'm only about 100 pages in, so I'm interested in how the whole bone thing came to be, and how it's grown. I also feel like the US wings are not at all how they are described, especially when it is mentioned that they are furled and unfurled, that contraption doesn't look like you do anything like that with them!