Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - End of Watch > Group Read - End of Watch pages 329 - 432 end Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments This fourth and last segment is called Heads and Skins. The first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Spoilers Welcome.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Heads and Skins was such an odd segment header, it's a hunting lodge like place where Doctors hunt and party. Deep off road in a snowstorm Brady in Dr Babineau goes to fulfill his dreams of killing as many people from the concert as he can. His suicide inducing powers are gaining effectiveness.
Bill and Holly set out to stop him sending Jerome to his family as the one to explain if they fail.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments One of the best parts of this segment was having Bill, Holly and Jerome working together again. Freddi helping them out was very illuminating and her assertion that Brady was still alive convinced Bill, Holly and Jerome,; but who else would believe them.
Bill and Holly's trek to stop him was nailbiting. Jerome's rescue was great, I found myself not so sure that he was going to be stopped when Dr B was killed.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Ann, I too was afraid that Brady wouldn't be able to be killed. So glad Jerome didn't listen, or actually that Barbara could sense that Jerome needed to go.
Was hoping for a miracle when it came to Bill.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Dawn: as the book and Bill's symptoms progressed the possibility of a miracle started to dim, but hope held on for me too. I think the ending was in a way a miracle, that Bill saw the Mr Mercedes case to the end, and was able to find (we hope) some happiness in the time he had left. He had to have been glad that Pete was going to work with Holly. While that seemed a bit of a neat package, it allows Holly to potentially continue to grow in independence and to thrive. He got more time to see his daughter, and we hope, to leave on his own terms not Brady Hartsfield's. This was an important facet underlying the story - how we deal with dying.
As for Brady- he was the counterpoint. Take over any and every body to continue to live no matter the cost, or to be like Bill and put others welfare ahead of your own, over and over.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments I was ever so glad when the Zappit Zero went into the fire!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments I don't know if it was this segment or the last one but it was a sweet moment when they shut down the server or the website or whatever to stop Brady's access to those operating the Zappits.

You are right, Freddie's validation that Brady was bodyhopping was a plus.. no one would have believed them and maybe they would have second-guessed it themselves, it was so improbable.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments I figured someone would come out of the blue to rescue Bill and Holly but I didn't expect Jerome. I thought maybe the guys back at the gas station or Pete and Izzy, having been told by Jerome that they were in trouble.

It was nerve-wracking when Brady first intercepted them coming into the camp, and then when he was firing into the cabin.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments I didn't see how Bill could survive his cancer but I was holding out hope that a miracle could happen as well. I wonder if I would have been happier if it ended after their rescue and leaving the question unresolved. Maybe not, it was sort of nice to know what became of Holly. She was the one in all of this who I thought might not survive Bill's death.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Carol: That's an interesting point, where to end the story. I think knowing how Holly is doing offsets not being able to imagine Bill made it. I think I prefer epilogue endings over abrupt resolutions.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I didn't see how Bill could survive his cancer but I was holding out hope that a miracle could happen as well. I wonder if I would have been happier if it ended after their rescue and leaving the question unresolved.."