Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - End of Watch > Group Read - End of Watch pages 208- 328 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments This third segment is called Badconcert.com The first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Spoilers Welcome.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Brady is escalating his rampage after years of planning. We learn how he took over Dr Babineau and how Freddi Linklatter came back into his life and for money to hack for him.
Bill in pain continues to investigate. The prevalence of Zappits at suicides is ominous. Bill gets Barbara's friend Dinah's green Zappit and terrified me when he tried it out. Later Jerome tried it, both with chilling results.
Brady as Al and as Dr Z is having a great time, he kills Cora Babineau and shoots Freddi and in a quick switch commits suicide and leaves in Dr Babineau. He starts activating ZEETHEEND and the teen suicides begin.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments The cold way Brady gets into someone's head and goads them to suicide is horrible. Like Bill and Holly come to feel, it is unbelievable yet compelling that Brady is manipulating events. Who could believe it. Chilling and quite suspenseful.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments The hypnotic aspect of the Zippit actually seems feasible, especially coupled with subliminal messages. The taking over the minds of the Dr and Library Al and able to see while sitting in the hospital, I only accept it from King because the supernatural/unexplainable is part of his genre. Accepting that, the possibilities open to Brady are terrifying.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments They were terrifying Dawn!
As my daughter and I waiting for the Stephen King event to begin we briefly talked about which of SK's books terrified us the most (It topped her list; Pet Semetary topped mine but it is a precarious top of a list of many many books that do for such various reasons.)
We hadn't read the final book at that point, but this final book certainly starts to terrify as we read of Brady's growing power while he lies in that hospital bed.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Ann wrote: "Bill gets Barbara's friend Dinah's green Zappit and terrified me when he tried it out. Later Jerome tried it, both with chilling results. ..."

This was truly spooky. I worry that Jerome is so susceptible to Zappit; if Brady learns that he could do some serious damage.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Ann wrote: "Brady as Al and as Dr Z is having a great time, he kills Cora Babineau and shoots Freddi and in a quick switch commits suicide and leaves in Dr Babineau. "

I found this section rivetting, the stakes are escalating. I thought it was extremely risky for him to kill his original body. It felt like he didn't have enough experience yet totally in habiting a stranger's body to risk that; what if something goes wrong? I guess he could keep body hopping but.... if this were another kind of novel there would be a physical consequence to leaving his original body.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Ann wrote: "They were terrifying Dawn!
As my daughter and I waiting for the Stephen King event to begin we briefly talked about which of SK's books terrified us the most (It topped her list; Pet Semetary toppe..."

I have to agree with you about Pet Semetary! That's one book I could never re-read.

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Ann wrote: "They were terrifying Dawn!
As my daughter and I waiting for the Stephen King event to begin we briefly talked about which of SK's books terrified us the most (It topped her list; Pet Semetary toppe..."

Pet Semetary is definitely the one for me, too. I don't even like THINKING about parts of that one. Hits far too close to home!