Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - End of Watch > Group Read - End of Watch pages 118- 207 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments This second segment is called Blackish. The first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Spoilers Welcome.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:38PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Blackish
Bill and Holly discuss finding out about Zappits, he lies to her about his illness, she snoops and finds out.
Barbara Robinso, Jerome's baby sister is walking with a yellow Zappit on MLK in Lowtown, watching t he Fishin' Hole game, eager to walk in front of a truck for being Blackish.
Dr Babineaj visits Brady who is pushing Barbara. A tall boy stops her, but only briefly.
Dr Babineau stops Bill from seeing Brady. Holly calls Jerome in AZ to come home for Bill.
Bill gets info from Nurse Norma Wilmer. Tanya calls Bill about daughter Barbara -hospital. ( a broken leg)

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:46PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Bill interviews the tall boy for details about Barbara's accident, she was out of it, like on drugs.
Nurse Norma tells Bill about Brady and perhaps Dr Babineau gave experimental drugs. Holly talks to Barbara about suicide. One of Barbara's friends also has a Zappit.
Brady experiments with Library Al's mind, and others, depressed until Al gives him a Zappit, and then Frankie Linklatter comes to visit. Possibilities.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments It's xownright chilly what Brady is evolving to do with his mind and to dominate others.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments I'm thinking my edition is different. P.207 was part way through a chapter for me, so I carried on until it ended on p.210. I also noticed that my copy only goes up to p.351 which is different to the sections here. Just wondering how I'm going to post...

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ann wrote: "It's xownright chilly what Brady is evolving to do with his mind and to dominate others."
Yeah, it's certainly unnerving and has created some edge-of-the-seat moments. Yet, I've still not made my mind up about the book. This taking over people's minds and bodies wasn't something I expected. I suppose I was wanting it to be the thriller I'd read in the previous books. I think if I'd read it as a stand-alone I would feel differently. I think I would have been fine if Brady recovered and then escaped from hospital where he would don some disguise. I suppose it would run the risk of repeating a formula but I'd be fine with that :)

message 7: by Ann (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Anne I am sorry about that. I'll add some details about the breaks here and on the general thread. It was hard with the audio too though I had the hardback at home to check. The breaks are subtle when listening.
This segment stops at badconcert.com which starts the next segment after this one and the next one goes up to Heads and Skins.

bAnne wrote: "I'm thinking my edition is different. P.207 was part way through a chapter for me, so I carried on until it ended on p.210. I also noticed that my copy only goes up to p.351 which is different to t..."

message 8: by Ann (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Anne: Yes it is different and I understand your feelings, the investigation was a huge enjoyment in the first t two books . I'll write more later about that after dinner.
Anne wrote:"I've still not made my mind up about the book. This taking over people's minds and bodies wasn't something I expected. I suppose I was wanting it to be the thriller I'd read in the previous books. I think if I'd read it as a stand-alone I would feel differentl"
o

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ann wrote: "Anne I am sorry about that. I'll add some details about the breaks here and on the general thread. It was hard with the audio too though I had the hardback at home to check. The breaks are subtle w..."

My reading got me to the end of chapter 10 in badconcert.com (207 was in ch.9 and I just had to finish the chapter :) ).

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Anne wrote: " This taking over people's minds and bodies wasn't something I expected. I suppose I was wanting it to be the thriller I'd read in the previous books...."

I know what you mean, Ann. As stated earlier I had a hint that this was the direction the book would go in because of the ending of the last book. I accepted it more easily because it's Stephen King, and many of his books build in a supernatural thread.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jul 30, 2016 09:08PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Ann wrote: "It's xownright chilly what Brady is evolving to do with his mind and to dominate others."

It really is. He is truly evil. Interesting way that Stephen King plays on people's obsession with their PDAs/Smartphones.

Also interesting the way in which he focuses on Barbara's insecurity about being in a black neighborhood given her upbringing. Very intuitive, and topical these days.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Anne wrote: " This taking over people's minds and bodies wasn't something I expected. I suppose I was wanting it to be the thriller I'd read in the previous books...."

I know what you mean, Ann. A..."

Yeah, I know what you mean Carol. I've been reading King for decades but kinda wanted the book to stay as a thriller. I read his collection of stories 'The Bizaar of Bad Dreams' not so long ago and I'm sure there was a story in there about how technology can be used to take over people's lives... Certainly a metaphor in this book. King's books often have a hidden meaning to them. I like that.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Carol, I agree 100%. This storyline worked because it was Stephen King. I wouldn't have accepted it so readily from any of the other authors I usually read. I think I was on edge with Mr. Mercedes (not that it wasn't suspenseful enough) but waiting for the supernatural to jump out at me.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Anne wrote: " This taking over people's minds and bodies wasn't something I expected. I suppose I was wanting it to be the thriller I'd read in the previous books...."

I know what you mean, Ann. A..."