Doggie Book Club discussion

Future Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Pao (stephiepao) | 35 comments Mod
If you have any suggestions for books we can read together next month please share!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

I was in Seattle this weekend for a friend's wedding and went to an awesome independent bookstore where there were book recommendations throughout the store and found a bunch of books I really want to read. Putting them here as suggestions:

- My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante by Elena Ferrante
- The Only Ones by Carola Dibbell
- The Ice Twins by SK Tremayne
- The Clasp by Sloan Crosley
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Chime by Franny Billingsley

message 3: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments just reading through the names quick the ice twins sounds interesting

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so down for any of these! I've already read My Brilliant Friend, and while I absolutely LOVED it (plus, there's sequels!) I know a lot of people found it long and hard to get into at times. But, again, I adored that book.
I'm adding all of these to my long-term to-read list!

message 5: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 12 comments What about No One Knows by JT Ellison?

message 6: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 12 comments I also think the ice twins sounds like the most interesting on the list there too!

message 7: by TresCameron (new)

TresCameron | 3 comments Hi. I've read "The Ice Twins" already and it was good. I'll take a look at the others on the list

message 8: by TresCameron (new)

TresCameron | 3 comments Ok, out of the list above I'm most interested in "The Sympathizer." I started but DNF "my brilliant friend" because I wasn't enjoying it. "Clasp" is second on the list. I'll keep an eye on what's chosen.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

I'm also such a sucker for books marketed as the next
"Gone Girl". Found this list today and was very intrigued by a couple of the books on this list: https://media.bookbub.com/blog/2016/0...

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 12 comments From Stephanie's list I think these 3 sound interesting:
Ice Twins BUT a few people have already it
The Clasp & Chime

From the BookBub link these were my top 4 picks:
Under The Harrow by Flynn Berry
The Girl Before by Rina Olsen
Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

message 11: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments I was reading this true crime blog yesterday and the blogger had written a book a few years ago called "the man from primrose lane" that sounded kind of interesting

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

A few suggestions from one of the IG discussing included:
Still Missing
No One Knows

message 13: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments what about one of the books we looked at for last month?

message 14: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Holland | 9 comments I agree with Marissa. What about another one of the books you had when we first started or I would be interested in any of the books in your link associated with Gone Girl except for The Girl in Cabin 10.

message 15: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Holland | 9 comments The Man from Primrose Lane sounds interesting too!! I will go along with the consensus of the group whatever it is!!

message 16: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments @marsha right? I just happened to stumble upon that guy's true crime blog and, after reading it for a while, saw he mentioned he wrote a book.

message 17: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Holland | 9 comments I saw that and I thought it sounded fascinating as well but it hadn't gotten any votes on our poll so I voted for Under the Harrow. Have you voted yet?

message 18: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments not yet. I'm out of town for the day so I'm going to look up the books when I get home tonight

message 19: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 12 comments I must be really dense because I had no clue what poll you guys were talking about... The mobile website for goodreads is definitely not very complete. How do you guys find stuff? Do you log on a computer? Or is the app a lot more detailed? I have an iPhone and the mobile site seems to leave a lot of stuff out. Maybe I'm just dense?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

@Jeni I'm online as well, I don't use the mobile app because it's super glitchy, and I also couldn't find the poll. Oh well. =)

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Sorry friends! I thought I invited everyone to the poll, but it was also on the home page of our group. I don't think it works on the mobile app. I'll make sure to share the poll in this discussion for the next book too.

message 22: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments Has anybody been thinking about new books for next month?

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

I was just going to post that same question! Does anyone have any suggestions? I can start another poll and let everyone know to vote :)

message 24: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 12 comments I won a copy of Ruth Ware's 2nd book, so I'm excited to read that, if anyone is interested,, Otherwise, I think there were a few good suggestions for last month that not everyone saw. But here's a few more suggestions:
No One Knows by JT Ellison,
After Dark, My Sweet by Jim Thompson
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

message 25: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Swartzwelder (goodreadscomuser_jesse) | 3 comments How about reading The Lost Girls,that looks like a really good book.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 12 comments I'm good with any of the above suggestions, I want to read all of them and I already bought three of them.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Just created a new poll for August! I'll let it run through Tuesday 8/2 so everyone has a chance to vote. Here is the link if you aren't able to find it: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 28: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Stambol | 20 comments I spent far too long at the book store today (running in to pick up one thing really fast ((a wedding coloring book as a gift))) and ended up talking to two women by a "psychological thrillers" section they had just set up. I recommended they buy "In a Dark Dark Wood" and also found a few books that sound really good. The winter people, Perfume, and What she forgot all looked really interesting. The woman working recommended Before I go to sleep

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Marissa wrote: "I spent far too long at the book store today (running in to pick up one thing really fast ((a wedding coloring book as a gift))) and ended up talking to two women by a "psychological thrillers" sec..."

I loved Before I Go To Sleep

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard The Couple Next Door is great!

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Oh man, I just saw your recommendations! Let's save these for January :) I just posted our last book for the year.

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo Ho (jo_ho) | 1 comments Wanted
Wanted by Jo Ho

​"A runaway girl. A grieving vet. A super intelligent dog who has escaped from a sinister lab. Thrown together by a ​chance encounter, they find themselves running for their lives as a team of mercenary soldiers ​- ​contracted by a mysterious billionaire known only as The CEO - pursues them across the country​.​"

I'm a screenwriter by trade (I created the BBC action fantasy kid's show, SPIRIT WARRIORS) which stars Jessica Henwick (Game of Thrones, Star Wars:The Force Awakens and Marvel's upcoming Iron Fist) and Benedict Wong (Doctor Strange, Marco Polo). I've also several movies in development including a big budget family fantasy, and a supernatural thriller, but I'm now trying my hand at self-publishing and my first novel, a YA thriller called WANTED has just been released :)

It's already generating 5 star reviews from fellow book and dog lovers like yourselves. If you fancy reading a heart-warming, emotional and thrilling story starring a genius dog and three lost souls, fighting to stay together, than please give WANTED a try.

Thanks All! - Jo

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

My friend just finished Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin, it's supposed to be a thriller for people who love Gillian Flynn and my friend said it was good so this is always an option for future months. =)
Of course, I'm also a fan of The Couple Next Door...

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 12 comments -A Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
-Harvest Home by Thomas Tyron
-The Other by Thomas Tyron
-The Sister by Louise Jenson
-Still Missing by Chevy Steven
-Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
-Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Lynn wrote: "-A Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
-Harvest Home by Thomas Tyron
-The Other by Thomas Tyron
-The Sister by Louise Jenson
-Still Missing by Chevy Steven
-Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Ha..."
I'm good for any book! I've already read Luckiest girl alive and A kind worth killing, but the others sounds great!

message 37: by Gracie (new)

Gracie Bradford | 1 comments Let's read "June the Prune and Lady Bird - Cancer Stinks! by Gracie Bradford" June the Prune and Lady Bird Cancer Stinks! Kids and Pets Cracking the Power Code by Gracie Bradford

Lady Bird is a Beagle.
http://amzn.to/2hav66c