Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Elric Of Melnibone
This topic is about Elric Of Melnibone
Elric of Melniboné, by Michael Moorcock

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jun 11, 2016 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea | 379 comments Elric of Melniboné was my Week 38 reading choice. I recently learned that its author, Michael Moorcock, received recognition as a renowned writer in one of my favorite genres. I was mortified when I discovered this fact for I had never heard of him much less read his work. Noticing this book on the suggested antihero reading list, I jumped at the chance to rectify my oversight.

Elric is the new Emperor of Melniboné but feels unfit for the position. He is an albino who relies on medication for survival, seeks knowledge over power, and wearies of traditional ways. Yyrkoon is his cousin who is more representative of the ancient rulers and seeks the throne at any price. With Melniboné's supremacy faltering, strong leadership is essential. Elric has to decide what is best for the future of his realm and take action.

Oh my! Elric definitely does not fit into the typical hero mold. In fact, his initial whining and persistent negativity are barely tolerable. These traits do, however, wonderfully enhance the character and story development. I am glad that I sampled Mr. Moorcock's fast-paced, finely constructed, and abnormally short fantasy adventure.

message 2: by J (last edited Jun 11, 2016 11:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 673 comments Michael Moorcock is also well known for having been a lyric writer for the 70's psychedelic hard-rock band Hawkwind and the 70's Metal band Blue Öyster Cult.

BOC has a song about Stormbringer called "Black Blade".

There's also a big, obvious influence of these books on A Song of Ice and Fire, in my opinion. The ancient magical swords in that series also have black blades, for one, but the story of the white haired lineage of rulers who have become weak and mad due to inbreeding and also have close ties to Dragons...

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea | 379 comments Your supplemental information is so interesting! I cannot say that I ever listened to Hawkwind, but I have listened to BOC and will look for the tune.

It's confession time. I am one of the few who has not read A Song of Ice and Fire series nor watched the television show. There is really no excuse for this because I have a beautiful leather cloth collection of the books sitting in front of me. They are so thick . . . Elric's Saga/The Eternal Champion Sequence series, on the other hand, is way less intimidating with its shorter, bite-sized adventures.

Your assessment of Elric's influence, though, seems quite feasible, and I will keep it in mind when I finally tackle Martin's work. It will make my read much more fun! Thank you :)

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2526 comments I'm listening to this book on audio. It's great! It even has music in the background, making it feel more dramatic. I love the story and the author's writing style AND the narrator is fantastic! I have a couple of Moorcock's other books but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Glad I started with this one!

message 5: by Sophie (last edited Sep 22, 2016 10:05AM) (new) - added it

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Great to know the audiobook is good, I noted it down for next year! Audible doesn't have it yet, I hope it's going to be available soon.