Play Book Tag discussion

Only in Naples: Lessons in Food and Famiglia from My Italian Mother-in-Law
This topic is about Only in Naples
Archive: Other Books > Only in Naples, Katherine Wilson. 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments A young American woman goes to Naples for an internship at the American Consulate. From the beginning, she's befriended by an Italian family with a son, Salvatore, who is around her age. Through a humorous series of misunderstandings she believes Salvatore wants her to call him every day, which leads to some misconceptions on his part.

Of course we know from the memoir's title that there's a romance and where it leads, but in the meantime, there's a fun story to be read. It didn't take me long to love and be in awe of the mother-in-law myself. I never felt like I got to know Salvatore though.

The book is written in an easy to read, conversational style and is very enjoyable. There's a bonus at the end of the mother-in-law's favorite recipes, adapted to American kitchens.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5339 comments Margarette wrote: "A young American woman goes to Naples for an internship at the American Consulate. From the beginning, she's befriended by an Italian family with a son, Salvatore, who is around her age. Through a ..."

Sounds like a fun light read. I always need a few of those on hand.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5539 comments This sounds delightful - on the TBR it goes...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I will also add that the audio of this was quite good! It was fun to hear the Italian pronounced properly instead of my inner botched pronunciation. It was read by the author and she did a good job.

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Booknblues wrote: "Margarette wrote: "A young American woman goes to Naples for an internship at the American Consulate. From the beginning, she's befriended by an Italian family with a son, Salvatore, who is around ..."

It's also short, as well as being light and humorous, BnB

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Book Concierge wrote: "This sounds delightful - on the TBR it goes..."

Hope you enjoy it if you get to it, BC

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Nicole wrote: "I will also add that the audio of this was quite good! It was fun to hear the Italian pronounced properly instead of my inner botched pronunciation. It was read by the author and she did a good job."

Audio is a great idea, Nicole, and is probably one of those cases where the audio is better than the book. I forgot to mention that it was your recent review that prompted me to read this, so thanks for that.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Awww, you are welcome. I love when my reviews inspire others to pick up books that they then enjoy :)