Our Shared Shelf discussion

1639 views
Jun—Persepolis (2016) > Feminism and Women's Rights in Iran

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Tina Ahmadi | 4 comments Hi everyone!
There were a lot of thought-provoking instances in the reading that I'm interested in discussing (and doing further research on) to try to better understand both the feminist movement in Iran and how the status of women can be equalized not only through removing unfair laws, but also through gradually changing people's beliefs.

I think Marjane Satrapi's character accurately portrays the modern, feminist Iranian woman who demands equal rights and respect in an unfair regime and a culture that still exhibits behaviors I would coin as "cultural sexism." Some discussion questions I thought of covering the topics of feminism and women's equality in Iran that I would love to hear ideas on are:

1. What are the legal inequalities women face in Iran that you noticed in the novel? How do you think these can be mitigated or improved?

2. What are some of the "socially imposed" inequalities presented in the novel that women face in Iran? I'm not sure if "socially imposed" inequality would be the correct term, but in this case I mean for it to refer to ideas that seem the be ingrained in the people's beliefs but aren't necessarily imposed by law.

3. What are some similarities and differences between inequalities women face in Iran versus the Austria? How about Iran versus the United States, the UK, or another country that you are familiar with?

4. What are some instances of feminism that you noticed in the novel, and what makes these instances fit the label "feminism?" This depends on how you would define feminism as well - is a feminist someone solely believes in gender equality, or someone who actively advocates for gender equality?

5. How is the experience of Mehri (the family's maid) different than Marjane's? How did this make you feel, and how do you think social class and wealth affect the inequalities that women face both in Iran, and outside of Iran?


message 2: by Tina (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Tina Ahmadi | 4 comments Two additional questions I have that I would be interested in hearing perspectives on:

6. How did you perceive Iran and a woman's status in Iran prior to reading the book? Did your opinion change after reading the book?

7. Compare women's rights and equality in pre-revolution and post revolution Iran. Consider socially constructed equality, education, and socioeconomic status in addition to the laws and restrictions that are presented in the book (this may require some independent research).


message 3: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Hi Tina! Those are some interesting questions and I really like that you put in some effort to come up with questions to discuss! Thank you. I will definitely put some thought into those questions and answering them.


message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Ahmadi | 4 comments Hi Bunny! Thank you very much; looking forward to hearing your ideas! I will do some additional research and answer some of them as well.


message 5: by Sascha (last edited Jun 12, 2016 10:01PM) (new)

Sascha | 391 comments 1. & 2.
For me it's hard to separate legal inequalities from the "socially imposed" inequalities because I think that one is connected with the other. There is oppression and inequality by law but it affects the way how society handles with inequality. For example the veil is obligatory for women in Iran. And this affects how people, especially men, think about women. It causes victim blaming as women are made responsible to hide behind the veil because otherwise men would be "seduced" by their hair and body. Another inequality is for example that men in Iran have the right to annul a marriage but women don't.

3.
Obviously, one difference is that women can wear any dress they want and use make-up in Austria and Europe - but they have to adapt to strict regulations of what to wear in Iran. Women can go to parties, drink alcohol and play cards in Austria - all those things are not allowed in Iran. Women can have a dissident attitude and voice in the public in Austria - but they are oppressed and in the worst case even murdererd when they oppose the regime in Iran.

4.
For me Feminism means not only equality but also autonomy. And I think autonomy is a very strong argument in "Persepolis" because Marjane Satrapi is a women who speaks her mind, stands up for her rights and tries to lead an independent life although society makes it hard to do so.
So I guess, Marjane Satrapi is a Feminist in the best way. She doesn't accept the norms and restrictions - both in Iran and in Europe - and she fights for her rights.

5.
I think that social class is an important factor and it determines your chances to live the life you want to live. Although Marjane is oppressed for her gender and for her dissident attitude, the situation is even worse for people who don't have the money to for example leave the country. Marjane's family decided to save their daughter by leaving Iran for Austria. That's a privilege Mehri doesn't have.

6.
I knew some of the things women experience in Iran before. But I also learned new things. What I already knew was that women in Iran are often quite rebellious as you can see for example when they don't accept dress norms or when they resist against authorities. And I also knew that the veil is a constant field of struggle in Iran.

7.
Oooh, sorry, but I have no idea of how to answer this question. Maybe some research would help. But in the moment I don't have the time to do research.


message 6: by Kytriya (new)

Kytriya Luebeck | 49 comments :Sascha Your answers are spot on! I agree with you fully, and can not add here.
Here is a good link in answering number 7 http://iranprimer.usip.org/resource/w...

QUOTE: Iranian women made considerable progress during the Pahlavi era (1925-1979). Education for both girls and boys was free. When Tehran University opened in 1936, Iran’s first university admitted both men and women. In 1963, women acquired the right to vote and run for parliament. Under the Family Protection Law, women won the right to petition for divorce and gain child custody. A husband could no longer unilaterally divorce his wife or automatically gain custody of the children. The marriage age for girls was raised from 13 to 18. And men needed the court’s permission to take a second wife. By 1978, on the eve of Iran’s revolution, 22 women sat in parliament and 333 women served on elected local councils. One-third of university students were female. Two million women were in the work force, more than 146,000 of them in the civil service.
End quote (from that link)

It used to be that muslim women were allowed to "read approved books" and to go to women's only spas. That was the only activity they were allowed. However, in Iran, even this may not be true because in Iran, they try to ban women from learning how to read. As long as the female can not read, then she is more easy to control because she can not fend for herself.

Please note: IF you are a female who is born, raised in the same house and ONLY your mother and father ever know you exist in that house. You never see another male, and no other people, male or female ever know you exist EXCEPT when father allows you to marry and only HE (your husband) knows you exist (he does not tell his family, nor does he tell anyone else). But then, some fool breaks into your house, and finds you. Guess what? If he rapes you, then the evil government of Iran will stone YOU because YOU are at fault for his raping of you. Yes, he too will most likely be stoned, but he has a chance to argue out of it. You have no chance, and no rights. They assume you are evil and not a proper muslim woman and have violated Iranian laws.

This is why I believe that those who can, must and should educate ALL Muslim women in private, and teach them how to read and how to protect themselves. They must be taught self-defense, and how to kill when provoked (and absolutely necessary). And, I think that the Iranian and Iraqian women should just quietly learn and teach their daughters and then when the timing is right and warranted (in that change won't come soon enough unless an outright war exist - see last resort), then and only then, perform a mass revolution and murder every single male in their country that supports the evil treatment of women. Yes, this is radical, and a pascifist approach is usually preferred. I would also support the reeducation of any male that is alive and then if he refuses to accept that education, then death. Thus, I would still give men a 2nd chance (not instant death, except where absolutely necessary). However, so many women are raped, molested, beaten within inches of death, slammed against walls, denied the basic rights to vitamin D!!!!!!! I think a revolution is warranted. Again, this revolution is not an outright instant war, but a cautious "war" where by, taking over and reeducating first, then killing only when absolutely necessary to save a Women's life.

(And no, I will not argue this further! Feel FREE to DISAGREE with ME! :D I won't be offended! However, as always, I will read all comments that follows, but will not answer because I'd rather just see what you all think.)
BTW, I see what happened to the Jews when we practiced Passifism to the nth degree. Millions of Jews were murdered due to Jews and Gentiles refusing to go to war when we should have. This is what motivates me. Thanks!


message 7: by Tina (last edited Jun 19, 2016 08:08PM) (new)

Tina Ahmadi | 4 comments I appreciate the long and well thought out responses.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the idea that a revolution is warranted, however. In 2007, 60% of those enrolled in Iranian universities were women. I agree that several laws currently in place are cringe-worthy and should be changed, but a lot of what is publicized is a strong exaggeration from reality, and I don't think a revolution is the answer to their problems. I think it's best for Iranians to work within the system legally. I haven't lived in Iran, so I can't attest to the experiences of women or even try to understand what they face, but I know that life in Iran is peaceful compared to other countries surrounding it, and violence will only lead to death, confusion, and set the country back decades. This book depicts Iran directly after a revolution, when there was a lot of turmoil. When more time passed following 1979, women and men advocated for their rights peacefully and within the legal confines of the government system, and things started to improve.

Iran definitely isn't perfect, neither is any other country in the world, but violence will not change anything and only give birth to more hatred and injustice.


message 8: by John (last edited Jun 26, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

John Gordon | 11 comments Tina I also enjoyed reading this book and your questions. There is a fascinating, beautifully written novel that addresses many of these questions especially #7... "Butterfly Stitching" by Shermin Nahid Kruse". Shermin, like Marjane grew up in Iran.
I can't help but think that the abuse and subjugation of women is often tied to having fundamentalist religious beliefs and that this is tied to a very dramatic sexual ignorance or immaturity. It's not found just in Islam or Iran, you can find for example Southern Baptist or Orthodox Jews with a "Beavis and Butt-head" mentality. It just happens that these type of men are in charge in Iran and have many followers.
Aside from shooting them all as Kytriya suggest "we" can effect change by supporting in every way native Mideastern women who are changing their country's from within, and there are plenty of them. These strong women are changing the culture.
Men all over the world can help by declaring out loud that they support women's rights. Many men do favor gender equality they just don't understand how important it is to tell other men. Say it out loud! To me this is the point of HeForShe...imagine what it would be like if the men in Iraq would stand and be counted...well if they didn't get shot by the butt-heads in charge.


message 9: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 21, 2016 10:05AM) (new)

Stephanie (vanase) | 10 comments 1 & 2. Like Sascha, I don’t believe that I can completely separate legal and social inequalities in Iran because of how the government is structured and how Iranian women can get arrested for behaving in a way that can “tempt” men’s sexual desires (as she mentioned she could have been arrested because of her hair showing outside of her head scarf, wearing makeup, or after telling the officers off for staring at her butt while she was running). However, Marjane does point out some social inequalities that weren’t entirely quantified in the law, like when she went to speak with the government official about her Iranian folklore themed theme park that had many strong, female characters depicted in different ways around the park. The government official said that it was a great idea barring the inclusion of those female figures that would make men feel “uncomfortable.”

3. I can speak more to the United States, since I live here, but some of what Marjane experienced, I definitely experienced living in the United States, just without the legal consequences. Socially, girls are shamed for any sexual expression, for wearing makeup outside of their age range, and for “tempting” and “distracting” boys with the way they dress, as Marjane was in Iran. The main difference that I’ve seen in my generation (I’m 23) is that, by the time people hit 20, the only people overtly shaming the girls are frat boys and older, more religious generations, while Marjane’s own peers shamed her for her sexual openness with Reza (not saying that doesn’t happen here with people my age, as I have seen it happen, but it’s not nearly as common as Marjane depicts it in Iran back in the ‘90s). Also, there aren’t any explicit legal consequences for the three examples that I listed, while Marjane could have been arrested by the morality police.

4. The way Marjane’s parents, especially her father, treated her was extremely feminist behavior. The fact that her father allowed her to make her own mistake in her marriage, rather than forbidding her to marry, shows the character that she was raised by and that influenced Marjane during her childhood. She grew to be the independent, resilient, intelligent person that she was because of the influence of her parents.

5. Besides the point that Sascha brought up (the privilege of escape), Mehri didn’t have the privilege to even court the person that she was interested in, and rather had to pretend that she was of an entirely different social class. As soon as she was discovered, the boy rejected her. Another privilege that Marjane had that Mehri didn’t was that she was taught how to read, which opens up many different opportunities in life by itself.

6. Prior to reading Persepolis, I read Until we are Free, by Shirin Ebadi. Before reading both of these books, I knew that Iranian women didn’t have the privileges, opportunities, and freedoms that I enjoy in the USA, but reading about two women’s experiences in Iran gave some substance to that knowledge that I didn’t previously have.

7. I don’t have time to do too much research on this topic, but in pulling from Until we are Free again, Shirin Ebadi was a judge in Iran before the Iranian revolution. Afterwards, she was stripped of her judgeship because the new government believed that women weren’t objective enough and were too emotional to be a judge. This is just one example of entire careers that were inaccessible to women after the revolution.


message 10: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 391 comments John wrote: "Tina I also enjoyed reading this book and your questions. There is a fascinating, beautifully written novel that addresses many of these questions especially #7... "Butterfly Stitching" by Shermin ..."

John, you seem to confuse something here. I have not suggested anything like that as you claim. The idea of killing men for not respecting women came from Kytriya. I strongly disagree with this idea. There can be no legitimation for murder.


message 11: by John (new)

John Gordon | 11 comments Sascha I see that you are correct and I apologize for the mix up.


message 12: by Parnian (new)

Parnian | 68 comments wow what a thought provoking thread. we'll need to steal your questions for our monthly meetings in Toronto Tina. i hope you don't mind!


message 13: by Parnian (new)

Parnian | 68 comments Sorry this got really long really fast cause there were so many great questions. Here are my thoughts:

1. Women face all sorts of legal inequalities in Iran. When I was in high school some 10-12 years ago, I wrote a detailed essay on the status of human rights in Iran. Here's what I wrote about women's rights, which is still true to date: "Women in Iran are treated as second class citizens with their lives valued as half of that of a man which, incidentally, is equivalent to the value of a man’s testicle. So the life of a professional woman with higher education who provides added value to society is equivalent to testicles of an illiterate violent man who may get himself hurt in a bar fight (Ebadi, 87). A woman’s testimony in court is also valued as half of that of a man’s. While a man can have four permanent wives and unlimited “temporary” wives, a woman accused of having extramarital affairs may be fiercely punished by whipping or being stoned to death (Zadeh). For this reason, rape outside marriage goes unreported because the woman may be judged by the court as a willing partner in the rape (Amnesty International, 2003, 132). Moreover, women are unable to leave a marriage without the permission of their husband unless under very rare and unusual circumstances. "

There are other unusual legal issues a woman may face. For example a married woman cannot book a hotel room by herself; she must be accompanied either by her husband, parents, or brother.

Women also face legal issues when it comes to gaining custody of children, regardless of the reason for the divorce. They are often denied custody of children except under very unusual circumstances which are often difficult to prove. If I remember this correctly, women will generally be allowed to care for the child until the child can be weaned off her breasts (up to 5 years of age). At that point, the father will maintain sole custody of the child with no visiting rights granted to the mother.

There are of course many more issues, the most obvious of which is that a woman must cover herself because a man is basically an uncontrollable animal. Also, it is needless to say that "family planning" is a huge no-no; but then again even the West is still struggling with this basic right so let's not pretend Iran is any worse than the rest of the world.

Property in Iran is very much in the name of the person it belongs to. It is basically as if you have a renewing prenup. Depending on who is the wealthier, this could be good or bad for the woman.

2. Marjane does a beautiful job of bringing light to all the ridiculousness that is the life of women in Iran. There are some movements going on but they are largely driven by the wealthy and the educated; in the lower social classes with generally lower education, the religious Islamic beliefs dominate. The men enjoy having the powers they have so they continue to get in the way of progress for women. Unfortunately, without the ability to read and think critically, these people rely largely on the government to direct their actions. The ultimate solution is education and the minimization of the gap between social classes in my opinion. The women are slowly and steadily fighting for their rights though. I am hopeful they will gain some of these rights soon.

3. I'm still working my way through the book, but I can easily speak from personal experience. There is a huge number of social issues for women, but here are a few:

Since women haven't held positions of professionals since the revolution, the new generation has trouble imagining how a female judge might actually be capable of doing work to the quality a man can do. This is an unfortunate issue that has been created since the revolution. It is difficult to change that mindset. If you have never seen an ant lift an object 100 times its weight, you will have trouble believing me if I said it can do it. So women are often automatically considered to be disqualified. In any case they are believed to be too "soft" and "gentle" for most professional roles such as engineering, management, in the judiciary system, or politics.

The workplace is, not surprisingly, vastly dominated by men with women being the automatic candidates for secretaries. In fact I have yet to meet a male secretary. This creates 2 problems: 1) it reinforces the belief that women can't do anything because if they could they would've been hired and 2) it makes it very difficult for a professional woman to permeate this big wall of men as she will be subject to catcalling and typical things you will hear from men who cannot control themselves; plus she is already believed to be inferior per above.

There are simpler issues too. For example women are not believed to be able to drive. A poor driver is automatically flagged as being a "woman".

Once a woman has children, it is her automatic social obligation to give up life and go raise her children. If she doesn't do it, at the first opportunity that a child misbehaves, society will blame the mother for being absent. Fathers take a huge huge backseat in domestic responsibilities in Iran. The child is her mother's problem, as is the cooking, the sewing, the cleaning, the appeasing of her husband, and management of all social responsibilities such as inviting guests etc. If a fight broke out, it is the woman's responsibility to be patient, to apologize to her husband, to console the children, and take the blame. In practice many women run off to their parent's place with the children, but are often driven back home in consideration of custody issues per above.

3. I've already mentioned one, in that family planning is a big no-no, but then again even the West struggles with this. Abortion is not unheard of but is hidden in much the same way that Caitlin Moran explained in her book. It's like a secret society. You will only know about it if you are one of them. Abortions are often done in secret dirty basements by people who are the furthest thing from doctors. But this happens in the US too; see the John Oliver video on abortions to learn more about that. This is slowly changing with the wealthy educated families of this generation, but not for the poor and uneducated.

4. I think it is beautiful that Marjane's own family was such a positive advocate of the typical "well-off" family of pre-revolution era. These people were often very modern, they believed in equal rights, their wives worked and their children were educated regardless of gender. The men treated women with respect, and the women took a large part in the revolution that took place to send the Shah into exile. In fact I believe pre-revolution Iran was closer to gender equal status than today's UK, Canada, or US are.

5. Again, I'm not done with the book so I'm going by what I know so far. You may have gleaned from previous comments that before the revolution, Shah had many unusual measures in place that were basically discriminatory to Muslims. So I think that Mehri's experience pre- and post-revolution will be different because the revolution empowered the uneducated and the poor who basically advocated Islam without understanding what that religion is actually about. So some of the poorest people pre-revolution became very wealthy after, or took positions of power. This is a little bit by what I've heard, but not from personal experience so I could be wrong here; just an opinion.

Social class plays a big role in the gender-equality concerns in Iran, as you may have already seen from my comments above. The educated and wealthy CREATE rights for their women, despite the restrictions of the government. They bribe their women out of ridiculous restrictions, such as not being able to book a hotel room by herself. The poor can't do that.

The poor also have the perpetual issue of being largely uneducated. These families are often very large with 6-7 children. Since the parents cannot provide for all of them, the boys will be forced to work from a very young age (maybe 6-7) and the girls may be married off as early as 8-9 years old. So neither gender is educated. They go on to repeat the cycle generation after generation until someone intervenes to help.

6. To me Marjane's story was a reflection of the life of most people who grew up in that era. It was the story of my parents and their friends. It hasn't changed how I feel about women's status, but it was told beautifully and for that I am so thankful that Emma recommended it for June.

7. I think I already answered this above so I will stop writing now!

I hope you find the above at least insightful if nothing else.

cheers


message 14: by Sandy Bergeson (new)

Sandy Bergeson Tina wrote: "I appreciate the long and well thought out responses.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the idea that a revolution is warranted, however. In 2007, 60% of those enrolled in Iranian univer..."

If you haven't lived in Iran, how can you disagree so strongly wiht someone who has? It is much different to read about life conditioins for women than it is to experience olife conditions for women.


message 15: by mary (new)

mary tahmaseby | 3 comments I am an Iranian woman.
I live in Iran & I have a Master of Entrepreneurship Education.
I wear hijab.I have husband and we were friends for 5 years before we get married.
I saw a lot of judgment while none of them have been here. I read the book. Their contents were completely impartial.
Some of the cases was somewhat correct, and many are not. Then many of woman had hijab even before the revolutionary Islamic government... And is now much less radical such that.
Someone said in Austria they can play a card party and we cannot
Claiming that, we play cards, go partying, learning, makeup, we're dating the romantic views, We can make hotel reservations by our own and do not have to get married at an early age, even in poor families.
Many of our scientists were from poor families. We can educate both women and men. Me and mu husband introduce from university, we also obtain high professional passion, Here many women believe to have veil and many do not believe and do not wear.
But the rigor that people are much more freely than before
But most people of my country believe in covering our self not full hijab but dressing appropriately

If you have sex with someone it not like that they shout you stone Instantly, it have hard condition to prove you are guilty, and mans and woman's both will be punish

But we have our own problem too
Yes, it's good to have all chosen to wear hijab or not no to force. Yes we have problems in Masculism, patriarchy at home and & at work places and some of them it's so bothering us,

Yes there is a lot of discrimination Because of this I think the whole world is like this that is why there is feminist, because of the inequality in the world, even in the more advanced societies.

Please do not judge people in other country with poor information

Thank you all

Thanks to Emma for bring this up so I can explain about my country


message 16: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg5qd...
Young Iranians were arrested for dancing to "Happy." Comments?


message 17: by mary (new)

mary tahmaseby | 3 comments Gayle wrote: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg5qd...
Young Iranians were arrested for dancing to "Happy." Comments?"


Yes unfortunately they arrested and then released. Although in my country women can be an actress but they can sing and dance in front of mans …
According to Islamic law, women cannot singing and dancing in front of strange men s, except their father, father in low, uncle and husband.
Unfortunately, prohibited by the laws of our country to build such clip base on Islamic law


message 18: by Agustin (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:41PM) (new)

Agustin | 223 comments mary wrote: "Gayle wrote: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg5qd...
Young Iranians were arrested for dancing to "Happy." Comments?"

Yes unfortunately they arrested and then released. Although in my country ..."


Oh boy. Like dancing or singing in public would hurt anyone.


message 19: by mary (new)

mary tahmaseby | 3 comments We are not in a position to judge what is best or good or must do, every people in every religious, in every country, have fait on something and its ok as long as it doesnt hurt anyone

My people who believe this enjoy to do whatever Islam said, Those people who do not believe on the Islamic rule like this,
have partly full of mans and women's and dance and sing

But a women cannot be a singer and in forbidden!!!
Most of my people accept this and believe and have no problem
with that like myself…

We show our happiness in other way, we hear music and sing together, we have concert full of mans and women clap sing together, we going to girl and family party and ….

we have Islamic country and the rules its different than the other county,
its better every thing be free and people can choose what ever they want, i have heard in a turkey or french they can allow woman with hijab to study there and it too sad ...


message 20: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
But Mary, even within Islam there is a big controversy regarding music and dancing.
Also, I fail to understand why singing and dancing could be harmful for women. Well, for human beings. It has not a drop of logic. At the very least, there should be places for those of you who do not agree with that rule. Such as the performers in that Happy clip.


message 21: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Yeah! Do what you want with your life, right? By all means, don't listen to a single song if you think that's wrong. But don't force your belief system into others. That's why I believe that religion has to be 100% separated from the state. Not just Islam, mind you. Every single religion.
My apologies, however. I do not wish to hijack this thread.


message 22: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Emma wrote: "Ana wrote: "But Mary, even within Islam there is a big controversy regarding music and dancing.
Also, I fail to understand why singing and dancing could be harmful for women. Well, for human beings..."


i think the real issue here is why does Islam not allow women to sing and dance in public? Is there any logical reason for this? It seems that Islam sees women dancing and singing as if it were at the same level of murder!


message 23: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Out of curiosity I went on yesterday to read as much as I could possibly understand on music and dancing in Islam. It seemed to be a reliable source of information but for a non-believer, and I presume even for your average Muslim, it truly is confusing. The frontier between haram and halal seems to be, other than the obvious content of the lyrics and some other predictable no-no's, on whether the music is played to a gathering with the explicit purpose of providing entertainment. Then again they listed quite the long list of specifications to provide some additional guiding in establishing the criteria.

Something that really struck me was how the web stated that if you were, say, a tourist going through a certain area where such a gathering was taking place and you 'accidentally' heard the music, or even heard it with no intention of stopping there and amusing yourself, then there was no problem. One would think that when you need like one and a half pages to dictate on this-and-that, maybe you are trying to regulate something which is inherent to human nature.

The funniest thing is, there *is* music in Islam. What about the Sufi Dervish? What about Nasheed? Yesterday I saw a Nasheed for children where the girl (we're talking cartoons) danced while singing a song called 'Bismillah'. Why shouldn't she? The song has no particular meaning for me as a non-Muslim, but I can only guess that young Muslim children enjoy those short clips. Music and the joy it brings, from a religious point of view, can be yet another way of getting closer to God. Now, I get that twerking to the latest Beyonce's hit may not be welcomed, but still, just let people be.
Not that other Abrahamic religions haven't had, and still have, loads of crap that they should unload.


message 24: by Nageen (new)

Nageen | 3 comments Guys, I did not read this thread completely. But from what I deduced, Islam does not bind you when it comes to music. In fact while some call it haraam, I myself am a Muslim and a big chunk of us believers believe that Islam encourages you to explore, amuse yourself and not be a preacher to everyone around you. It is not that big a deal as much as people have made it too. I believe it is completely alright to listen to music. Dance is an art and I am talking about proper dance and not how people go clubbing. It is controversial but I do not believe we will be thrown into hell for it. It would be an extreme way of life to abandon music and such things and Islam does not encourage extremism.


back to top