Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Six, Episode Eight: No One *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amie (new)

Amie Pfeiffer (TheDrownedGoddess) | 249 comments So what does everyone think is Arya's fate?

I was thinking this morning about the paths of the Stark children (& Jon) and how some of them have come so far. Three-Eyed Raven, Lord Commander, King of the North, Wardeness of the North, and possibly a Faceless Man. If Cat and Ned could see them now!!

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments You're right. I guess I never looked at the big picture before but they really are making it in the world even if it is the hard way!

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments I cannot wait for this episode! It had better be good. I'm begining to believe, " what is dead,may never die" with the return of The Hound, and BenJen, I can only hope for the return of Serio.

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Omg....i think I need to watch this again.....( I had a feeling they were going to thread Clegane back to the Banner boys but didn't know how because they fecked it up a few seasons ago) anyway...gotta watch this again. Wowzer!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Well, I liked the episode but was underwhelmed at the same time, if that's possible.

I was pretty disappointed that Arya's story didn't result in something epic. Yes, she won and took back her name but...come on! I wanted her to be reborn into some kind of faceless goddess/assassin. Sigh Guess it's time to start writing some fan fiction.

Jamie just...I still like book version more. But at least he let Brienne head on. RIP Blackfish. :(

Danerys, was she mad or just overwhelmed?
I have a hard time reading her. I did enjoy Tyrion trying to get everyone to loosen up. And now we have a war. But maybe when one has dragons they can win faster?

I called it with the trial! No trial by combat. Take that Cersei! Let the crazy madness and paranoia commence leading to a massive self destruction in wildfire!

Scenes from the next episode...I think it will be a good one. I'm actually looking forward to the battle although I'm nervous about whose lives will be lost. Any predictions?

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments 2nd viewing:
Had a feeling Arya would hide within the acting troupe, and seal Lady Claire's fate. It's understandable she would have a fear of milk of the poppy'.
Clegane on a rampage, was to be expected. I had a feeling as I said above to be woven into the Banner boys for continuity.
It's good to see Tyrion and Varyes again.( the most famous dwarf in the world...indeed!)
Violence, ......im sure that little outburst led to the ending of trial by combat. Cerci has a way of messing things up for herself. The Queeen of Thornes told her to get out of Dodge...she didn't listen...
Brienne and Pod, welcome back! I just really wanted Jamie to muckle onto her and kiss her, but alas....not meant to be.
And Ed....held captive by the Freys for how long now???? Good grief. The whole mess is just a castle cluster feck! Jamie and Brienne wave goodbye....so sad!
Glad Dany finally returned
Damned waif....relentless nasty, vile, little thing, I think it was a set up,I don't think it mattered who came back, not to Jaquen anyway.
I think he was actually proud of Arya regaining her Starkness!
That's all I can handle for now.

message 7: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments I'm a bit disappointed at the Blackfish dying off-screen for no reason. Such a stupid end to such a badass character. Barristan Selmy level of stupid and unnecessary way to die.

I was expecting a bit more out of Arya's story, but I guess it was ok.

I never truly supported the Cleganebowl theory until last week when I see the way they where reintroducing the Hound in the show. But now, with the prohibition of trials by combat, seems like we won't get that fight... at least not in that context.

I'm guessing Cersei's new plan related to the rumors Qyburn mentioned, has something to do with the wildfire the Mad King hidden in the city? So, no Cleganebowl but the Mad Queen theory seems more and more likely. I'm hoping Jaime will return victorious from taking Riverrun only to find himself in the same dilemma he was more than 15 years ago... only now, much harder with Cersei in Aerys's place.

I'm curious about the conversation between Berric, Thoros and Sandor. What did Berric meant when he said "cold winds are rising in the north"? Is the Brotherhood planning on help in the fight against the White Walkers? It sounded like that, didn't it?

Speaking of the North, from the preview of next episode, it seems like we're having a ninth episode like the battle of Blackwater and the battle in Castle Black. Meaning, a full episode in one location. Which is always cool because those always feel like a whole movie.

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments I am disappointed with Arya's story as well. I mean I love the outcome!.... but how we go there just doesn't add up. Letting the waif attack her on the bridge, healing well enough to take some big tumbles and slides through Braavos, the waif slowing down in her pursuit of Arya....

Why not skip the stomach attack from the waif and just have that scene on the bridge lead to the chase and then the dark hidey-hole so Arya could play the blind ninja?! I'm going to imagine it that way in my head instead :) Just seems to make more sense to me since she is a trained assassin (although a beginner).

I missed some of the middle of the episode (4 year old wandering in in a sleepy stupor!!!) so I can't completely lay out all my feelings. I think I've said this before but I think the dialogue is a little lacking. I just feel like it was so, so strong when they had GRRM to follow and now that they have to make it all up it just feels a bit forced and a bit off. Case in point: The Hound's discussion with that BWB fellow he axed in the crotch. Although it was funny.... If GRRM was writing that scene the dialogue would go down completely different. More eloquent. More stylized. Probably less swearing. Just putting that out there if anyone else is feeling the same!

message 9: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Let's chat about varys.

Anyone else this it is sketchy that he leaves meeren right before the siege ships arrive?

Also, is he off to kill Kevan?

message 10: by Amie (new)

Amie Pfeiffer (TheDrownedGoddess) | 249 comments All in all, I was also disappointed with this episode. maybe it was our fault we got too hyped for Arya's story, but man, it turned out to really be a let down. I agree- I like the end result, but BAD storytelling. Just so basic and expected, and those are not two words I'd use to describe the books....

OK, Varys. I am curious as to what he's up to, and I also thought it was fishy that he split right before that enormous fleet arrives. Are we really supposed to believe his birds didn't sing about that?? I would've liked to see Arya and Varys possibly have an exchange on the way back to Westeros. I wonder if he makes it back to KL, and is out for Kevan or possibly Qyburn.

Honestly, I've never been as bummed to see a character as I was to see Beric. To me that's just solidifying that Stoneheart really won't be in the show. So lame!

And no Cleganebowl? Really?? I'm still holding on to a shred of hope for that one. We may still get a Sandor vs Gregor fight, it just may have nothing to do with the plot.

Maybe I had my hopes set too high, but I was expecting more from No One.

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "Let's chat about varys.

Anyone else this it is sketchy that he leaves meeren right before the siege ships arrive?

Also, is he off to kill Kevan?"

One would hope so, at least that would bring us back to the books. I hope not so much 'sketchy' as a 'contingency plan'...
All told, one of the more disappointing episodes, went nowhere, offered little, but then as noted by a few compadres previously, D&D are shockingly bad at dialogue.
Now we just have dramatic battle to come all leaving no resolution, most disappointing...

message 12: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Actually if you checked the. credits, I believe GRRM was part of the production staff on this particular episode, so that is the way it goes my friends.
It is what it is.
The D&D boys do what they do, and we get what ever they want. Us to get. We shall have to wait for the book to see what GRRM actually had in mind for this particular part of his epic.
I too am having a difficult time separating the 2 mediums, but that's what they are, 2 separate mediums. I am working on just "sucking it up " and taking it for what it is! ENTERTAINMENT!
And ill read the book for the art it will, no doubt, contain

message 13: by Maureen (last edited Jun 13, 2016 03:45PM) (new)

Maureen | 248 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "Let's chat about varys.

Also, is he off to kill Kevan?"

That was pretty strange timing for Varys. Honestly, the stuff in KL is going so badly with Kevan at the helm Varys doesn't really need to! The Faith Militant seem actually in control and Kevan is just standing back, glad that it isn't Cersei! But it sounded more like he (Varys) was going to get allies rather then kill/make more enemies... Right? But maybe a short stop on the way to off a few :)

Can I just say how much I love Brienne!? And Brienne + Jaime is just so good. I want more of them. I wish. The more and more I see of Gwendoline Christy the more and more I fall in love with her.

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments It always takes me a few episodes to differentiate show/book every season, as I'm sure I've said before, but they're getting increasingly easy to separate, which has me yearning for tWoW ever more!!! Grr, as Amie said, poor storytelling. Too many shortcuts.

message 15: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Possible plot twist varys executes the sparrow and/or tommen instead? That would be one heck of a fallout if ceresi loses the trial but the king and tommen are killed. It would send ceresi into a spiral and keep KL unbalanced until the younger more beautiful queen arrives.

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Well, the money is on Margaery's true colours coming to light and Tommen topping himself as a result... Gods know what that'd do to Cersei's fragile hold on normality...!!!

BURN THEM ALL!!!!

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I'm sticking with Cersei creating her own end. It's set up perfectly to show her epic downfall of her own design. I still think she's going to cause her own death and possibly Tommen's just because of her madness...and the wildfire.

Varys is always up to something. I never trust him or Barlish. They both are always 5 steps ahead of everyone else.

I was more concerned that his dealings with Tyrion + the too perfectly timed exit meant he has been setting Tyrion up to fail/be captured? Cersei still wants his head. We shall see. But it was way too fishy.

As for Clegenbowl...I'm not sure why people were excited for that. The Mountain is no longer the mountain and no one can beat what he has become. The Hound would've lost in 5 seconds. Seems like the opposite result of what people were wanting. Am I missing something?

@Maureen I agree the dialogue is lacking. Has been for a while. There's a certain smarty assery and cleverness missing. Finish the book Martin!!!!!!!

message 18: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 15 comments Tommen will most likely meet his end this season whether by accident through whatever Cersei has planned or another way.

Disappointed with Arya's storyline but I guess I can hope that she will reunite with Jon and Sansa. It would be nice to see the Starks back in Winterfell.

I really wanted Brienne to be in that battle for Winterfell but doesn't look like she's there. :( I was hoping she'd kill Ramsay. Don't let me down Jon.

Wondering if the season will end with the Greyjoy ships meet Dany in Meereen.....

message 19: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Yip, I reckon the Lannisters and by default Martells are f*cked. I think that Jon, if he takes command of the battle is too honourable to execute Ramsay unless in combat, which would be great to see, but will hold him prisoner, to be surreptitiously bumped off by another...
Arya's arc has to get more interesting, especially now the Hound is back in the fold, I've been really disappointed with it in Braavos.
Which set of Greyjoy ships Kayleigh??
I also reckon that Dany could turn out to be a real narcissistic antagonist for those in Westeros fighting more than petty battles amongst houses, dragons or not. And Varys...
Oh and we need to know what happened to sam and Heartsbane, oh and Bran, oh and the TOJ.
Quite a bit to pack into two episodes....
Never mind, D&D are professional corner cutters!!!

message 20: by mark (last edited Jun 13, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments I agree with the disappointment over Arya's storyline. very annoying and went on too long with a lame resolution and the Waif was just too one-note. ah well.

also very disappointing: resolution of Blackfish & Edmure. so the point of all of that Riverrun stuff was to let Brienne & Jaime have a meet-up? I did love the Jaime-Brienne scene together (and I love the actors playing Blackfish & Edmure too), but I don't think it was worth such a lengthy digression.

loved everything else though. those great shots of Mereen under attack and Dany's entrance. everything with the Hound and Beric. I completely rooted for Cersei during her face-off with Lancel (Mountain was great and I loved Qyburn's expressions too) and I was really sympathetic towards her during the Kevan-Tommen scene. Lena Headey is such a good actress. also pretty pleased at Tommen's outlawing trial by combat because hopefully that means I will never have to hear about Cleganebowl again!

looking forward to Cersei up to no good with wildfire, Varys getting his murder on (Kevan totally annoys me), the Greyjoys coming to Mereen, an awesome battle at Winterfell, and hopefully Ramsay FINALLY exiting the show.

message 21: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Is Cersei crazy or stupid? There's a fine line between genius and insanity and she's definitely not a genius.
Could a case be made that ceresi has already been a reaped the rewards of her own machinations? The high sparrow has her pretty well entangled. And she will eventually die as a result.

But I don't know if people in this world really get what they "deserve".

Does anyone think removing the trial by combat was more marghery's idea instead of the high sparrow's? I wonder who has more sway over Tommen.

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Is Danaerys going to finally grow a pair??? Maybe so....
I still think Margaery's machinations will be her downfall, with subsequent Tommen and Cersei downfalls, but, hey, that's just me!!

message 23: by Ben (last edited Jun 14, 2016 10:58AM) (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Two deaths I am not happy about, one I'm wonky with.
1- Brynden, a waste of a character alive in the books, and to do it off screen even denied him the dignity of Barriston selmy.
2- Lady Crane. Although we all knew she had to meet her maker, and despite that she was a good egg, and a great character who didn't deserve to go like that, and no, despite what may've been intended, it detracted from the Arya storyline.
Others- not THE Others!!!
Waif- could've been a great battle after a great chase, meh offscreen and ambiguous
TBWB- deserved to die, good to see sandor back and fired, however using some of the most stalwart, such as Lem seems a little churlish. OK so they're brigands, but not dishonourable, ever. And Beric, WTF, he's gone, gi'us stoneheart.........

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Ben wrote: "Two deaths I am not happy about, one I'm wonky with.
1- Brynden, a waste of a character alive in the books, and to do it off screen even denied him the dignity of Barriston selmy.
2- Lady Crane. Al..."

Yeh, sorry, out of character for me, but this one left me cross!!!!

message 25: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "Is Cersei crazy or stupid? There's a fine line between genius and insanity and she's definitely not a genius.
Could a case be made that ceresi has already been a reaped the rewards of her own mach..."

Yeah, Cersei is in trouble. I am interested to see where Jaime will fit in with whats going on in KL. He should be on his way back soon... Will he be there for the trial? Will there be a trial or will Cersei maneuver out of it somehow (wildfire, the mountain, something else?)?

Margery very well could've sway Tommen to get rid of the trial by combat... Although I don't know that she would. I know she doesn't like Cersei, but does she really want to see her killed? Now that I'm thinking about it.. Is her sentence death if she if found guilty? Or does she renounce her titles, etc like they want Loras to do? I can't remember now!

message 26: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments That's an excellent point Maureen. I have no idea what her penalty would be.

message 27: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "That's an excellent point Maureen. I have no idea what her penalty would be."

I think it is her head
I think Tommen thows himself off a tower as a consequence, and Cersei, having lost her last child, goes a bit, well, um, Aerys on us...

message 28: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Ben wrote: "JaphiaHart wrote: "That's an excellent point Maureen. I have no idea what her penalty would be."

I think it is her head
I think Tommen thows himself off a tower as a consequence, and Cersei, havin..."

I thought so too but couldn't remember. I mean she was charged with having sex with Lancel, killing Robert... Maybe even the kids being bastard born? I can't remember but seems serious enough for death.

I think there will be somedeaths in KL to end the season. Excited to see who it will include!!

message 29: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Or maybe I'm just being optimistic for an outcome that is more than a *BIG BAD BATTLE*
shoot me now.

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments I apologise again for ranting.
I guess I'm upset by this episode not tying up loose ends it could've, and leaving others open, or tied badly.
All they, D&D, want is *A BIG FOOKIN' BATTLE* to draw people in.
Oh, and Rickon dies, sorry.
But hey, he's alive in the books

message 31: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Venting spleen and vitriol. but it was without doubt the worst episode since Dorne.

message 32: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Ben wrote: "Venting spleen and vitriol. but it was without doubt the worst episode since Dorne."

Speaking of... I can't believe how quickly and suddenly they cut the story with Dorne. I mean I guess in TV when there is a break in between filming you CAN do that but I would think if you thought it was a good enough story to include in the first place you would stick with it. BUT, I guess I was wrong. Were they only in 1 episode this season?

I wasn't that upset at the episode but your reasoning why (those awful, meaningless deaths) is a good enough reason to be. I think the battle this week will turn out to be awesome. And it looks like Davos finds out about Shireen.... So there will be a bit more drama than just a battle!

message 33: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Maureen wrote: "Ben wrote: "Venting spleen and vitriol. but it was without doubt the worst episode since Dorne."

Speaking of... I can't believe how quickly and suddenly they cut the story with Dorne. I mean I gue..."

As I understand it, he finds the wooden stag he gave her.
I DO like the way he's been developed on the show, even if it were a bit awry!!!!

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I'm pretty sure Dorne has been nonexistent because they have gotten such horrible reception for it. It upset a lot of people not just us. This past episode was up there for sure with some of the more terrible plot writing.

Two episodes to crane writhing in? I'm with @Ben it's not going to write well. Sorry it's just not. It's not ranting if it's the truth. At this point they are going to (most likely) kill a lot of people off to make the writing easier. Less characters to deal with and all. Ugh.

message 35: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments When are we going to see bran again?

message 36: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Well we do have 2 episodes to tortures us till next season and we've been on one hell of a roller coaster ride so far.my predictions!
First: Yeah I think Poor Tommen may have an appointment with the unforgiving laws of gravity!
Second: Cerci is probably secretly being measured for a jacket with extra long sleeves that wrap around and buckle in the back.
Third: Someone is mixing up an extra strong potion of " the strangler" for what used to be the Mountain.
And lastly: Marge, will be THE QUEEN. Till Dany shows up.

message 37: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Ah, but Marge will be dead......

message 38: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "When are we going to see bran again?"

Yeah, no kidding. Where is the end to TOJ? There is so much that should happen in just 2 more measly episodes. How will they fit it all in?! Especially if 1 whole episode is The Battle of Bastards?!?!

message 39: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm pretty sure Dorne has been nonexistent because they have gotten such horrible reception for it. It upset a lot of people not just us. This past episode was up there for sure with some of the mo..."

It has become apparent that the 'non essential' characters are killed off, see selmy, blackfish, House Martell, in the show, books all are alive, with convoluted plotting with them.
It makes one wonder, having deviated so far from the books yet purportedly playing to GRRM's 'final plan', which characters will take a role in it....

message 40: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Yes well...nip and tuck...plastic surgery....can go wrong...botched is a very popular show!

message 41: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments I've mostly started to see the show as fan fiction. It's basically a well researched fan theory. I think a few people have mostly surmised how the story will end. the primary mystery is how grrm gets there. And I'm pleased that I don't feel that D&D aren't spoiling grrm's work.

message 42: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Oh, I just realized. If the 3 guys Beric hung were the only ones that went rogue, doesn't that mean that the hound killed 4 innocent guys for no reason?

message 43: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments grrr

message 44: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments m

message 45: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "Oh, I just realized. If the 3 guys Beric hung were the only ones that went rogue, doesn't that mean that the hound killed 4 innocent guys for no reason?"

far from it, they were feral

message 46: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments I've just assessed why this episode bugs me so much. It is simply that it takes, but offers nothing

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments The biggest mistake was building up the hype over Arya VS the Waif & then they botched it...But we do get something out of it, Arya now knows how to take a face...other than that it was dismal.

Jaime in the Riverlands, I actually didn't mind these scenes, at least Jaime is away from Cersei.....

Brienne travelling all that way to Riverrun just to deliver a letter? Why couldn't they have the Blackfish escape with Brienne & Pod and die fighting for Sansa in the North?..Instead he dies off screen....what a waste of a good actor.

Lancel gets to live another day, even though he betrayed Cersei....Septa Unella is still alive(I thought she'd be the first to die)

I am not looking for violent confrontations every five minutes or even epic sword fights..I want good writing!

Some of the best scenes in the show don't even involve violence.

Every scene between Littelfinger and Varys is pure Gold!

Tyrion and Daenerys conversation as they size each other up, exceptional.

Arya watching her father kneel to have his head cut off....heartbreaking!

Sansa walking across that bridge, ready to throw Joffrey to his death...Perfect acting.

Tyrion and Cersei, every scene is riveting...

Jon & Samwell bro love at its best. Jon & Thorne you can feel the hate long before the knives came out. Jon holding Ygritte as she dies in his arms....

Jaime & Brienne when he tells her why he stabbed the mad King. Amazing acting.

Catelyn begging for her sons life....Hauntingly tragic.

Theon & the burnt children & his expression, knowing it's too late to go back & his betrayal of Robb...Brutal reality of choices gone wrong.

Is it too much to ask that they give us, the audience, the one's who have made them wealthy some, bloody quality...

Is that asking too much?!

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments They have announced that the last episode of this season is going to be 90 minutes long...I believe.

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments You know what it is Rebecca? The scenes mentioned were originally written by GRRM in the books. They had something to guide them stylistically and it helped focus their writing. I think it's really showed (badly) the books not being finished for them. Honest opinion here. The flair and gut wrenching scenes and the blunt emotion has been vacant except for Hodor which they did discuss with Martin.

message 50: by Eyehavenofilter (last edited Jun 15, 2016 08:40AM) (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Rebecca/ Jessica: You both always bring it!
GRRM wrote such great stuff, and when these boys deviate from his story the whole thing goes to hell in a handbasket on fire!
But this is all we have, unfortunately.
We have to appreciate the snippets of genius, the scenes with Tyrion, the banter between Cerci and the Queen of Thornes, etc
I think there are still 2 more seasons left, and 2 more books.
I'll wait for both to be finished and hope no one in the real world dies before all of those are finished, ( mostly me and GRRM!),

« previous 1