Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
TC Trivia Answers Archive > This Will Probably Be Too Easy

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments Why is it undesirable to be a "yobbo," and what relationship does this curious word have to the word "Gaf"?

message 2: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Oh goodie. An easy? I hope so.

A yobbo is a stereotypical aussie; beer drinker, alcoholic parents, loves meat pies, drives wrecks for cars and has a load of children. They all have mullets.

The relationship with Gaf would be stereotyping people.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments I am actually thinking of the use of the word in England, so...BZZT! You are so very much in the right ballpark, however.

message 4: by Shelley (last edited Jun 13, 2016 05:43AM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Yob is the form of the word used most in England. Yobbo is used in New Zealand and Australia.

Yob is boy spelled backwards and means everything a good boy shouldn't be like. A yob is rude, obnoxious, violent and stupid.

So I guess both are derogatory terms. I guess some people would say gays (gafs) are everything a good boy shouldn't be. :(

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments That's funny, because I have mostly seen the word "yobbo" used in England, contrary to expectation, because they seem to add an "o" to the end of everything in Australia when they wax slangiferous.

The commonality is something FAR more obvious, though. And you didn't actually say why it's undesirable to be a yob.

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments "when they wax slangiferous" lol

The only thing I can think of is that people call others those names who they think they are "lower" than themselves; worthy of being picked on, robbed, etc.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments BZZT!

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments Keep trying peeps! ANYONE is allowed to answer!

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jun 14, 2016 07:20AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3348 comments Mod
I read that GAF is used as a less derogatory / offensive way to speak about gays, maybe it's the same case with YOB, except I don't know what a YOB is.

message 11: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

bzzt, ding, or comment Eileen?

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments Yob is a juvenile delinquent, usually of the male gender.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments Beth wrote: "Yob is a juvenile delinquent, usually of the male gender."

DING DING DING DING DING! That is the exact answer I was looking for. But what is the relationship between the words GAF and YOB? What do they have in common?

(I guess this wasn't too easy after all, huh?)

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

They are both euphemisms

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments BZZT!

message 16: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Giving up now.

message 17: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments If you read each one of them backwards, they tell you what the acronym stands for.

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments OMG, I can't believe I didn't notice what gaf was spelled backwards. I mean, really! I knew about yob spelled backwards!

Good job, K.A.! That's just gotta be the answer.

message 19: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments I'll wait for a GNID! GNID! GNID! from Fish before I start feeling satisfied.

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11839 comments !!!GNID GNID GNID!!!

message 21: by Shelley (last edited Jun 30, 2016 05:18PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments

Yay, K.A.!

message 22: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments

message 23: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.