Play Book Tag discussion

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
This topic is about The Professor and the Madman
Archive: Other Books > The Professor and the Madman / Simon Winchester. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8017 comments The Professor and the Madman / Simon Winchester
3.5 stars

This is the story of how the Oxford English Dictionary was put together. It is also part biography of the editor (the “professor” in the title) and the convicted murderer living in an insane aslyum, who was one of the most prolific people helping find quotations for the dictionary.

It was quite interesting to learn how early dictionaries were compiled. I guess I'd never really thought about how much work it took to take on such a task. Also, very interesting to learn about Minor, the man in the asylum. I didn't rate it higher because I was too easily distracted at some points while reading, so I did tend to skim a bit and miss a few things. At the same time, I did find other parts quite interesting. Overall, I'm rating it “good”.

message 2: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 406 comments This is on my "to read" list.

Anita Pomerantz | 6248 comments LibraryCin wrote: "The Professor and the Madman / Simon Winchester
3.5 stars

This is the story of how the Oxford English Dictionary was put together. It is also part biography of the editor (the “professor” in the t..."

I pretty much had the same take on this one as you did. Good.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2207 comments This was my introduction to Simon Winchester's books and I loved it. I have a friend who's a lexicographer on the current OED, so it was particularly interesting to see the history of how it all started.

LibraryCin | 8017 comments Kate wrote: "This was my introduction to Simon Winchester's books and I loved it. I have a friend who's a lexicographer on the current OED, so it was particularly interesting to see the history of how it all st..."

Oh, that would make it especially interesting!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments Already on my TBR - I've read other books by Winchester and I like his writing.

LibraryCin | 8017 comments This is the first I've read by him. Depending on the topics, I might be interested in trying another.