Play Book Tag discussion

The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy
This topic is about The Bassoon King
Archive: Other Books > The Bassoon King by Rainn Wilson- 3 for Beets, Bears, and Battlestar Galactica

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3778 comments This book was quite different than what I expected. I expected a fun memoir a la Bossypants, Yes Please, maybe a bit like Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography. This was a funny book at times. But it wasn't based around humor. It was based on faith, his upbringing, and his acting career. Not a bad thing- just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

I LOVE The Office, but it doesn't surprise me he didn't have much about the show in the book. We already know about that. Rainn Wilson has used his fame and stardom to educate those reading on an insiders look at finding your own voice in the acting world, what he has had to do in the past to find his, and the world of the Bahai religion. We see his strange geeky childhood, growing up and getting into theater because girls were in those classes. How he survived trying to be a theater grown up. Finally at the end we see the Rainn Wilson that is known now.

The book is written with a humerus tone. It's kind of weird mixing faith and philosophy into it as well. Doesn't mesh well, and makes the book seem a little disjointed. The book also jumped around way too much. It vaguely goes chronologically from birth to now- but there is so much "let's skip to the future so I can say this funny anecdote and tell this funny story that is relevant here, but won't be relevant later on the book". I loved the "between chapters" notes though- really showed off his humor and skills as a comedian.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6888 comments I had a friend whose parents were B'hai, and they had some mixture of philosophy and faith, too. She didn't follow it, but used to like to listen to a group who were, at least at that time (not sure if they continued) following the B'hai faith, Seals and Croft.

Judging from your review, this doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in.