What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fiction, Ireland, seaweed, soap

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brocklette (new)

Brocklette 1990s early noughties - Adult - paperback. a chap goes to Ireland on behalf of his father's company - meets seaweed gatherers for the soap making industry. Mother and young daughter, different lives. Something about the famine, or clearance? Very poignant - no idea how it ended, perhaps it just sort of stopped...

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
When was it set? Mass market fiction, or literary fiction? Author male or female? Remember the cover? From where does the chap go to Ireland?

message 3: by Brocklette (new)

Brocklette Set in 19th century, literary fiction, author I think male... He is sent from his home in England to do something or other with the family firm in Ireland - the person who would normally do it isn't available for some reason.

What I remember very clearly was a total lack of food or cat hair on the pages, and the font was only average. :-)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Brocklette, did his father's company/firm produce other products in Ireland or just soap?

How do the seaweed gatherers react towards him?

Can you tell us more about the main characters (e.g., "mother and young daughter")?

message 5: by Brocklette (new)

Brocklette I only remember the soap. The mother and daughter are poor, scratching a living, gathering seaweed to go for soap making. was there a husband or brother? I don't recall. The chap is drawn to the daughter, but I don't think anything comes of it. All awkwardness...

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Brocklette left the group. Moving to Abandoned.