What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Spurs for Suzanna
This topic is about Spurs for Suzanna
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA book-city girl goes to live with family with horse farm. Read in the 1970s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Jun 16, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Rachel (rachelbrosswalsh) | 7 comments It was about a girl (probably a young teenager) from the city who goes to live with a family who has horses. I think it was just for the summer. I'm not sure what precipitates the move and if they're her family or just a family. There is another girl in the family near her age.

Miscellaneous tidbits I remember: in beginning she stops to talk with a policeman and his horse in the city and some of her would-be friends see her and sort of mock her. After she walks away she sees the girls' laughing and knows they're laughing about her and "something to do with the policeman's horse."

At the farm at one point, she takes it upon herself to trim the mane of one of the horses because it's uneven. Of course, it's an ill-advised move because she cuts way too much and her uncle or someone says "What have you done to his mane? Bobbed it?" She's ashamed and her girl cousin is all embarrassed to ride the horse with the shorn mane.

There is some kind of show or gymkhana in the book (maybe the day she trims the horse's mane?). Later in the book she and her girl cousin have found common ground and become friends. I think they go clothes shopping together.

As I remember it was the near the beginning of the fiction section at the library so the author's last name probably begins with an A or B. Also I read it in the 70s and I have a feeling it was probably written in the 60s or maybe 50s. Cannot remember any names from the book at all.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Rachel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelbrosswalsh) | 7 comments Hi. No; never figured it out.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32283 comments Mod
Rachel, does she move with a sibling (e.g., Hundred Horse Farm by Blanche Chenery Perrin - "After their parents are killed in a car crash, twelve-year-old Ann and her brother Roddy move to their uncle's horse farm in Virginia." Description from www.worldcat.org)

message 5: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1164 comments Maybe Spurs for Suzanna by Betty Cavanna? Published in 1965, I think. Not an A or a B but a C is pretty close :-)
I found it searching online so I don't know if it matches your description...
"Suzanna Scott, fifteen years old and the only child of loving parents. Sue lives in an attractive home in downtown Philadelphia, goes to school in the suburbs, rides horseback and has many friends. In spite of all these good things, Sue feels very sorry for herself. Her mother works, her father is ill, and there isn't much money. She faces the dreary prospect of spending her summer holidays all alone in hot Philadelphia while her friends are away having fun. Sue sulks. The horrid truth is that she is somewhat spoiled and lazy. She has a lot to learn and she learns it with the help of the lively Ballantine family. Besides Mother and Father Ballantine, there are Jigger and Missy, who would rather ride than eat; Poke, who shares Sue's enthusiasm for books; and little Stevie, whose great passion is trucks. The Ballantine's three fine horses- Calico, Highboy, and Brandy- also help Sue to learn to grow up, contributing greatly to what turns out to be a wonderful summer. Teen-agers will love this thrilling tale of how Suzanna earns her spurs."

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelbrosswalsh) | 7 comments Your description of Spurs for Suzanna sounds as if it might be it! I'm going to try to get hold of a copy and will report back here. Thanks.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelbrosswalsh) | 7 comments Mai wrote: "Maybe Spurs for Suzanna by Betty Cavanna? Published in 1965, I think. Not an A or a B but a C is pretty close :-)
I found it searching online so I don't know if it ma..."

I got the book from interlibrary loan, and you are correct: it was Spurs for Suzanna. You can move this one to the solved shelf. Thank you so much.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Oh that's great.

message 9: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1164 comments That's great! Thank you for letting us know after you got the book. One of the moderators wrote in another post that "we crave closure". That made me smile when I read it and she's so right :-P