What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book from late 80's early 90's; A girl, her father (and I think brother) move to a new house. I want to say it was a lighthouse, but I can't remember. She finds old love letters and pictures.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments I'm looking for a book I read late 80's early 90's. A girl, her father (and I think brother) move to a new house. I want to say it was a lighthouse, but I can't remember. She finds old love letters and pictures. When she looks at the pictures the image starts moving as if she can see what was happening when the picture was taken. Then she smells roses and faints. I want to say The Boy in the Lake or The Ghost in the Pond, something like that. The boy is a ghost and can talk her I think. If memory serves, the cover was foggy blue and had a boy standing in a small body of water (lake, pond, etc.) and he was looking at a big house. I sure hope someone can help. I have been looking for this book for about 15 years. I'm starting to think I imagined it.

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments I remember something else... Her mom wasn't there. I think she died and that's why they moved. And I want to say the boy was in the military or something.

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jun 12, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Kris | 32100 comments Mod
Dustie, what's the time period of the girl and the ghost boy when he was alive? Does she find photos or paintings/sketches?

How old are the heroine and the ghost boy?

What's the tone - e.g., mysterious, romantic, scary, thrilling, angsty, sad, etc.? No time travel involved?

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments Any chance it could be Dreadful Sorry? I don't remember all the details, but the family is at a new house or vacation home in Maine ad the girl almost drowns and sees like a vision or something of another girl who drowned, and there is a boy who knew the drowned girl or also saw the vision, something like that.

Also, you might want to change your subject line to have more details in order to get more people to look at it. Maybe something like, "YA ghost story from late 80's early 90's with a lighthouse and letters".

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Hi Kris. The time period of the girl is present (late 1980's early 90's), she finds photos, heroine is around 16/17 and I want to say the ghost boy was about the same age. The tone was mysterious.

I want to say he was in the war and the letters and pictures were between him and his fiancé. No time travel. It was more the heroine was having visions when she looked at the pictures. The ghost boy was trying to get a message to his fiancé through the heroine.

I only was able to read the first few chapters of the book so I don't remember a lot. Sorry I can't be more help. I have always wanted to finish it.

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Hi Mariam. Sorry. That's not the book. Thank you for trying.

Also, I don't know how to change my posting.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32100 comments Mod
To edit your post/message, click "edit" below that message - if you're on the desktop (not mobile) website. Please add a note like "Edited: June 6/16".

To edit your topic header, click "edit" beside the header - again, if you're on the desktop website.

message 9: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4839 comments It sort of reminds me of Appointment with a Stranger, but I can't remember if she found letters. It's been some decades since I've read it.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
Dustie L McClain, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Dustie L McClain (new)

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Dustie L McClain, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Still looking. Funny, I did another Google search and got really excited to find a post that had the description of what I was looking for. Come to find out.. It was my own post from 3 years ago. LOL!!!

message 12: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2376 comments Maybe The Mill Pond Ghost and Other Stories by Pamela Oldfield? It was originally from 1991.

The Mill Pond Ghost and Other Stories by Pamela Oldfield

message 13: by Dustie L McClain (new)

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Juels wrote: "Maybe The Mill Pond Ghost and Other Stories by Pamela Oldfield? It was originally from 1991.

The Mill Pond Ghost and Other Stories by Pamela Oldfield"

Thank you, Juels. I downloaded that. It's not the one. I really appreciate your help though.

message 14: by Dustie L McClain (new)

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Tab wrote: "It sort of reminds me of Appointment with a Stranger, but I can't remember if she found letters. It's been some decades since I've read it."
I bought the book from Amazon and it came in yesterday. It's not the one. Seems like a good story so I'll read it anyway. Thanks for the help.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15725 comments Still looking, Dustie?

message 16: by Dustie L McClain (new)

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments Yes I am.

message 17: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15725 comments There's The Ghost Wore Gray, but I think the kids are too young.

The ghost boy was a soldier? Can you remember what war?

message 18: by Dustie L McClain (new)

Dustie L McClain | 9 comments I don't remember the war. But I want to say much older than her time. WWIish. And yes, I believe she was more like high school age.