What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Early to Mid 90's, Urban Fantasy, Half human half (demon or supernatural being) private eye. Paperback.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DarkWinger (new)

DarkWinger | 7 comments What I remember is this private detective, being half human and half demon (or supernatural being) was only half as strong magically as a full-blooded supernatural being/demon. He mentions this in the book a couple of times. Read it back in 94 or 95, I forget, but it could've been published in 91 or 92.

There might have been two books.

One I do remember somewhat. First scene was the private detective was at the complete mercy of the Big Bad, who had disabled him by magically silencing him. Of course said Big Bad is all monologuing and so the private detective responds the only he way he can...

"I couldn't speak so I gave him the finger."

The Big Bad says something along the lines of "Whatever peculiar magical gesture that is, it won't avail you now." Or something like that.

I know kinda vague but if it strike a chord in anyone's memory, please let me know... Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 245 comments Storm Front may not b what u r looking for but is still an excellent read. Also I think it's up to 17 books in the series now.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
A guess - Daemons, Inc. series by Camille Bacon-Smith which includes Eyes of the Empress? https://www.goodreads.com/series/4994...

DarkWinger, is this series for young adults/teens or older adults?

Can describe some of the private detective/investigator's cases?

message 4: by DarkWinger (new)

DarkWinger | 7 comments Hey Kris, I took a gander at Daemons Inc, and while it does sound similar to the book that I'm looking for, I'm afraid it isn't. The private detective has no partner and the book is all from his viewpoint. But thanks for the reply though! Much appreciated!

It might be for adults... and I am sorry, I don't remember any of the cases...

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 8 comments The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. He's a professional Wizard and p.i. in Chicago.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
DarkWinger, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Did you check out the Dresden Files series?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.