World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Writing as legacy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 14973 comments We rarely ask ourselves these questions, because of their too philosophical essence, but I think it's something worth dedicating a minute or two.
Are we destined to have 10-15 years of school/uni, 40-50 years of work, unpredictable number of years for retirement, 2.5 children (on the average), a mortgage repaid longer than children raised and that's basically it?
I bet some think of writing a book or a few as a little something to leave behind as a lasting memory (and maybe a source of income for some years to the heirs). On a source of income - there is even a movement or petition spread around here against proposed shortening of copyright expiry term in Australia or something like that.
Now, my own writing as a prospective legacy is probably of a dubious cultural and income-generating value, but still.... -:)
What about you: Do you hope to leave a mark with your writing, cause some change or is repayment of a mortgage more meaningful? -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Great topic! I absolutely see my book as a legacy - I wrote it while coming to terms with my mother's death from cancer. It was a bittersweet labor of love that had her heart-print all over it. My family and friends think I did something miraculous by publishing a book and it's funny how being seen as a hero can brighten your day. It's a simple parenting guide but a book I am infinitely proud of. It will not pay my bills but it has already given me so much more than I could ever withdraw from the bank.

message 3: by Mehreen (last edited Jun 11, 2016 07:19PM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Well, of course. We owe it to the literary world. Something we need to give back. I pursue a writing career relentlessly not to become famous or anything, but to leave my spots in the sands of time. Whether or not the world values it or will value after I'm gone is not in my control. But I do, what I think, I need to do.

message 4: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 687 comments When I think of writing as a legacy I think of the classics (Steinbeck, Poe, Shelley, etc.) and that's not what I write so I've never thought of any legacy. Nor do I write for money. My reason is simple. I have a story to tell. It's importance will be decided by others but it's importance is not of my concern. I write because I can and will until I can't. End of story ☺

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14973 comments Good motivation, Eldon. Hope 'can't' never happens. Beware of that legacy effect though -:)

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14973 comments Anyone sees writing as such?

message 7: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments I've had 5 people who have taken the trouble to contact me who have told me that my book has spurred them to tackle their debts straight away. That's what I hope to achieve, to guide people away from the misery that I went through. I haven't even had sales that mean that I have broken even on it yet, but that matters less to me than the help that I hope to give to others.

message 8: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Apart from being an enjoyable hobby for me, I see my books as a way to make my ideas stay around longer than myself. If those ideas inspire other people or push them into spreading their own ideas, then it will all have been for a good cause.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10769 comments Two of my books, "Planetary Formation and Biogenesis" and "Guidance Waves" were written to a archive my scientific work, and I suppose that means they are "legacy intended". My novels, well, it would be nice if they keep going after me, but I am secretly hoping people willed them now.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Fattorosi | 477 comments I guess for me its legacy since 5 of my 6 novels in the series will be about actual family history.

And there are 5 other authors in my extended family so Im adding to the list.

message 11: by Marlo (new)

Marlo Johnson (marlojohnson) | 2 comments I write unusual creativity self-help books. My hope is to contribute to more authentic, inspired, and compassionate ways of thinking and being. I believe that learning how to overcome fear and think for ourselves, to truly learn creativity as a skill, is crucial to human progress (and survival) right now. I don't know if my work will reach enough people to leave any legacy beyond my death, but knowing that I'm doing something I feel is important now is enough for me.

message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14973 comments Marlo wrote: "I don't know if my work will reach enough people to leave any legacy beyond my death, but knowing that I'm doing something I feel is important now is enough for me. ..."

Hope it does, Marlo! And if it brings satisfaction, that's what matters

message 13: by Marlo (new)

Marlo Johnson (marlojohnson) | 2 comments Nik wrote: "Hope it does..."

Thanks, Nik! Indeed, I write primarily for myself. I never dreamed of being a writer, yet it's what I feel most compelled to do.

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14973 comments Can writing be viewed as a legacy of a sort?

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10769 comments I don't see why not. I never thought of it that way, but I did write my ebook on planetary formation and on Guidance Waves to archive my work in those areas, so I suppose writing to archive is something similar.