The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Summer by the Shore 2016

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jun 18, 2016 08:17AM) (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
I live in New Jersey so summer always means spending some time on a sandy (usually overcrowded) beach. (Usually covered in SPF, huddled under a big umbrella, reading a book, but I'm there.)

Mission: Read one book with a beach or shore town setting before August 31.

For example:

Beaches
16 Lighthouse Road
The Saving Graces

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1535 comments Mod
I am going to read Dogwood Hill by Sherryl Woods. It takes place in a Chesapeake Bay town called Chesapeake Shores.

message 3: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Jun 11, 2016 09:22AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I could use some more suggestions for this one. I'd like to read something that really feels like being at the beach since I'm landlocked here in Colorado! Any recommendations?

message 4: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

One potential I have is The Sea King's Daughter, set on a Greek island.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Of course All the Light We Cannot See fits this category but since that's the world lit read, I think I'll go with Tart as it takes place on an island.

message 6: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Hmm you know Allison, I have never read a realy beach-y book haha. Even for this challenge, it takes place in a town on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. .. Hmm maybe a story about a sailing ship....

message 7: by Marla (last edited Jun 12, 2016 07:27AM) (new)

Marla Harris | 17 comments Allison, I too am in landlocked Colorado, but grew up in S. Cal reading beach books in the summer. Check out Kristin Hannah. Her books are typically set in the Pacific Northwest and on the beach

message 8: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Thanks, Marla, that led me to a whole bunch of options for vicarious beach experiences!

message 9: by Marla (new)

Marla Harris | 17 comments Glad i could help, Allison Hope you enjoy your trip to the beach

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Gah! I've finished this mini with The Beach House by James Patterson, which may be the stupidest book I've ever read. I cannot stress enough how intensely I DO NOT recommend this book to anyone.

(I can whole-heartedly recommend any of the beach novels listed as examples in the original post for this challenge. All were easy summer reads.)

message 11: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Noted!

I've had a couple false starts myself for this challenge. Still trying to settle on something!

message 12: by Candy (last edited Jun 18, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

Candy Tiley | 86 comments Allison wrote: "Noted!

I've had a couple false starts myself for this challenge. Still trying to settle on something!"

I was reading this thread and I thought of a book I enjoyed. Stephen King's Duma Key is set mostly in Florida near the water. I thought it was a fun read compared to some of his more gruesome books so you might like it.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie The 2016 Reading Challenge Group

Mini Challenges > NEW! Summer by the Shore 2016

June 2016 to August 31, 2016

A Trip to the Beach: Living on Island Time in the Caribbean by Melinda Blanchard sounds good to me!

A Trip to the Beach Living on Island Time in the Caribbean by Melinda Blanchard

message 14: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Candy wrote: "I was reading this thread and I thought of a book I enjoyed. Stephen King's..."

Thanks, Candy! Since none of the Chick Lit beach reads are appealing to me, maybe this will!

message 15: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Finished Dogwood Hill. Set in Chesapeake Shores, with a little fishing thrown in with a lot of family and love. Pretty good read.

message 16: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I finished Klee Wyck by Emily Carr - a non-fiction book which takes place in Ucluelet and the Queen Charlotte Islands. She travels to all of the different locations by canoe!

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great going, Guys! Hopefully, your summer reading has given you a trip to the seaside even if just in your imagination.

message 18: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Sam, that sounds like a good book. Did you enjoy it?

message 19: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments Jenny wrote: "Sam, that sounds like a good book. Did you enjoy it?"

I really did - it was a quick read but interesting to see how she connecting with the First Nations peoples on the West Coast. It gives insight into her fascination with totem poles, something that is seen through her art work. She wrote the book after she was no longer able to paint.

message 20: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

There's still plenty of time for a beach book.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Summer By the Shore deadline is August 31.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.