Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > I need some Alexander the Great novels.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments I think my recent obsession with the Ptolemies has led to an interest in learning more about Alexander the Great...or at least being entertained by him, even if I don't learn much.

Please recommend your favorite novels featuring/about Alexander!

message 2: by Iset (last edited May 08, 2014 02:18PM) (new)

Iset | 31 comments My all time favourite Alexander novels are Fire From Heaven and The Persian Boy by Mary Renault.

David Gemmell did a fantasy duology about Parmenion and Alexander which I was pleasantly surprised by - The Lion of Macedon and Dark Prince.

I'm aware of a few others, but I haven't read them since I've heard bad reports about them.

message 3: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Awesome! I'll check these out. Thanks!!

message 4: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 173 comments Yup, the trilogy mentioned by Isis is my favorite. Just don't forget the third one, Funeral Games, that is set post Alexander's death (and features Ptolemy as one of the characters) and yet is all about him still.

message 5: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments I am currently reading Funeral Games.

message 6: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 173 comments Isis wrote: "I am currently reading Funeral Games."

That's supposed to be the last in the trilogy. If you haven't read the first two, when you go back you'll meet some of the same characters again and see their interactions with Alexander.

I've also read The Afghan Campaign, it isn't strictly Alexander but from the POV of soldiers in Alexander's armies. He only makes a brief appearance but its a worthy read since it focuses on the ordinary soldiers' experiences.

message 7: by Kristine (last edited May 08, 2014 08:37PM) (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments This is more of a biography Peter the Great: His Life and World I have read his Catherine the Great biography but not Peter the Great.

message 8: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments Er, yes, of course I've read the first two in the trilogy. I just recommended them. I know I'm reading the third book.

message 9: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments Okay, here are the other books I've heard of but not read:

Lord of the Two Lands by Judith Tarr (fantasy historical)
Alexander the Great in India: Sunburst Upanishad by Richard Marranca
Alexander Trilogy by Valerio Massimo Manfredi
Alexander and Alestria by Shan Sa
Empire of Ashes by Nicolas Nicastro
The Alexander Chronicles Trilogy by Brent Smith
Alexander: God of War by Christian Cameron
Colossus by Alexander Cole
Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander by J L Taylor
Bring Down the Sun by Judith Tarr

message 10: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Oh! I haven't heard of Bring Down the Sun yet. I read Lord of the Two Lands...interesting and fun, kind of magic-y but it was an enjoyable read. I didn't know Judith Tarr wrote another with Alexander.

By the way, I've been listening to Jamie Redfern's excellent podcast "A History Of: Alexander Remastered"...highly recommended if you want some nonfiction!

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments I'm not sure if this would be to your liking, but it's from Alexander's POV The Virtues of War: A Novel of Alexander the Great

If you saw the film Alexander you might see some similarities as Oliver Stone used it as a reference.

message 12: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments Really? I heard Oliver Stone used Renault as a reference?

Bring Down the Sun is, so I understand, a prequel.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments Isis wrote: "Really? I heard Oliver Stone used Renault as a reference?

Bring Down the Sun is, so I understand, a prequel."

He may have used both? But reading Pressfield, it was like many scenes were right out of the book. T'was a bit surreal.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra I could recommend The Golden Mean. It's told from the point of view of Aristotle but Alexander is a key character.

message 15: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Awesome...thanks for all the great recommendations, everybody! This will be fun... :)

message 16: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments I have to say, reading Renault it felt like many scenes in the film were right out of her book.

I won the sequel to The Golden Mean recently. It's called The Sweet Girl. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forwards to that one. Although I read the preview of it from Amazon and I visibly winced when Aristotle's daughter calls him "Dad".

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra Lucky, Isis!! I'd like to read that one, too.....and would also wince at her calling him "Dad". Much too modern for that time period.

message 18: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue (lisasuej) Of course, everyone is welcome to their opinions, and they certainly are valid, but I truly hated The Golden Mean. If you were my sister or my friend, I would shout at you, "For God's sake, read any book! Just not "The Golden Mean!"

But since I don't know you, I invite you to read my review on Amazon. I am listed as L. Johnson, in case the link doesn't work:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-Mean...

message 19: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Hmmmm...you bring up some interesting criticisms in your review, Lisasuej. I do love a good turn of phrase, though, so I might still give it a whirl.

I can't get enough of Wolf Hall, which I love mostly for its beautiful writing, but my sister hated it because the story bored her. So it might be right up my alley!

message 20: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue (lisasuej) @L.M...."Wolf Hall" rocked, but the other...not so much. Good luck. Maybe you are a deeper thinker than me, and will appreciate it far more than I.

message 21: by Iset (new)

Iset | 31 comments I loved Wolf Hall too, LM. I have friends who loved it and ones who hated it. Lol, I can't understand why, but fair enough. Granted, Mantel's aversion to actually using her character's name is inexplicable - but my goodness does she turn a phrase well. Her descriptions are very inventive.

message 22: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Isis wrote: "David Gemmell did a fantasy duology about Parmenion and Alexander which I was pleasantly surprised by - The Lion of Macedon and Dark Prince."

Ooo, I didn't realize he had more HF out there. I just recently read his Lord of the Silver Bow series...still need the 3rd one to finish up, but it's excellent. I loved his take on the Greek myths. Thanks for mentioning him. When I looked at his author page I only saw his fantasy listed and failed to click for more. You made me a happy girl. :)

message 23: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Lisasuej wrote: "@L.M...."Wolf Hall" rocked, but the other...not so much. Good luck. Maybe you are a deeper thinker than me, and will appreciate it far more than I."

Oh, I wouldn't say I think particularly deep. ;) But I'll try anything once! I might get around to that one, but it's not at the top of my list.

message 24: by Laura (last edited May 09, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments I found Pressfield's Alexander novels very dry. Renault is the only one who really writes him well.