Play Book Tag discussion

Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
This topic is about Neverwhere
June, 2016: Fantasy > Neverwhere/Gaiman - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Jun 11, 2016 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments I can see completely how a reader who loves fantasy would really enjoy this book. Gaiman's writing style is very engaging . . .and it just made me wish he applied toward something other than fantasy because honestly, I found the first three quarters of this book to be pretty boring. I've not read a whole lot of fantasy, and yet somehow, the plots of the few I have read all seem uniform. A group of people (creatures, weird things) are on some kind of quest (for a key, a ring, something) and it's hard (evil doers are trying to kill them). Now, arguably, this plot could be done in a thousand different ways, but I didn't really like it the first time . . .

On the flip side, I enjoyed the last quarter where the action really ramped up, and I finally felt like I knew a couple of characters well enough to give a damn. There were a few elements that I thought were highly creative, and the end was fresh and unexpected.

So, I wasn't sorry I read it, and I would definitely try Gaiman again. But, I think this is more of a genre thing . . .I don't want to read about quests no matter how creatively done. Also, I did think this book struck me as more young adult despite Gaiman's protestations to the contrary as opposed to say The Sparrow which is more science fiction, but also in some regards a quest and read more adult.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments I can't say I'm particularly surprised. Neverwhere was my favorite but I like fantasy. He just came out with a non-fiction. You could try that because I suspect his books aren't going to be ones you typically love.

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments Jen wrote: "I can't say I'm particularly surprised. Neverwhere was my favorite but I like fantasy. He just came out with a non-fiction. You could try that because I suspect his books aren't going to be ones yo..."

The other Gaiman I read was Coraline, and I rated that five stars so it isn't that I'm totally close minded to fantasy. I really do appreciate how he writes and the creativity . . .but it feels very arms length to me in the sense I can't really get "into it". I guess I'm too cynical or something . . .but I find my inner skeptic to be very loud while I'm reading lol!

annapi | 4862 comments I just can't get into Gaiman. Neverwhere was just ok for me, and though I liked Coraline, still he's not really my cup of tea.

message 5: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I got half way through the audio and threw in the towel. I loved his narration, but I found the story to be ho hum. It started off well but dwindled and at half way I just didn't care what was happening, and I found myself drifting more than usual and obsessing over which book to read next. I have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane and really enjoyed it, although I understand it is one of his lesser enjoyed works. Maybe I'm not a Gaiman fan either? I'm going to give it one more go with American Gods because I want to watch the Gillian Anderson adaptation. Maybe I'm growing out of fantasy?

Karin | 6884 comments Susie wrote: "I got half way through the audio and threw in the towel. I loved his narration, but I found the story to be ho hum. It started off well but dwindled and at half way I just didn't care what was happ..."

I didn't like this book much, either.

Karin | 6884 comments Anita wrote: "I can see completely how a reader who loves fantasy would really enjoy this book. Gaiman's writing style is very engaging . . .and it just made me wish he applied toward something other than fantas..."

Yes, at least he doesn't have quests.

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments Karin wrote: "Yes, at least he doesn't have quests. "

Really, I thought this book had a quest . . .I won't say much about it for fear of spoiling . . .but to me, it was basically a quest for a key.

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments Susie wrote: "I got half way through the audio and threw in the towel. I loved his narration, but I found the story to be ho hum. It started off well but dwindled and at half way I just didn't care what was happ..."

I own American Gods too so I'll probably read it sometime.

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Interesting that it took you 3/4 of of the book to feel like you got to knowthe characters well enough to care. In my opinion unique and interesting characters are what Gaiman does best.

Nicole D. | 1470 comments not surprised. don't bother with American Gods Anita. Seriously.

message 12: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole wrote: "not surprised. don't bother with American Gods Anita. Seriously."

I agree although American Gods is much less traditional fantasy. I didn't really care for it too much

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments My feeling is that Gaiman's characters were creative and interesting, but I did not necessarily feel a whole lot of empathy for them. They didn't seem completely multi dimensional to me. I definitely liked his descriptions, whether character related or otherwise. I think he is very good at evoking a mental visual . . .which I liked.

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments So noted on American Gods, Nicole!

message 15: by Karin (new) - rated it 1 star

Karin | 6884 comments Anita wrote: "Karin wrote: "Yes, at least he doesn't have quests. "

Really, I thought this book had a quest . . .I won't say much about it for fear of spoiling . . .but to me, it was basically a quest for a key."

I must be mixing this up with a different one of his books. I've read two of his books, and am done with Gaiman. Just not my cup of tea.