Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] Suggestions for 2nd Mini-Poll [Closed]

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process in 2015 so much that we have decided to create another list for 2017.

The Process:
The topics for the 2017 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Suggestions for each poll will be open until 20 suggestions are received and then opened up for voting for one week. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics in each mini-poll, resulting in 4 challenge entries from each (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

The Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total suggestions
- If you made a suggestion in the first round, please wait two days before making a suggestion in this one (Monday at 8AM EST)
- New rules may be added as the polls progress so please be sure to check the rules in each post!

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 suggestions are received.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2016 04:59AM) (new)

Current Challenge Themes:

- A book by an author you haven't read before
- A book in the middle of your TBR list
- A book from someone else's bookshelf
- A book with a strong female character

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2016 05:01AM) (new)

Breanne: A book recommended by a family member

Peter: A book written in first person perspective

message 4: by maja (new)

maja | 15 comments a book from the Goodreads list "Top 100 YA books of all time" (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...)

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments A category from another challenge

(you could borrow a great prompt from Popsugar, Bookriot, etc, without doing all of the challenge)

message 6: by Katie (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:18AM) (new)

Katie | 2369 comments A book with a family member word in the title (eg. wife, father, daughter, etc.).

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading

message 8: by Marleen (new)

Marleen (marleenanna) | 29 comments The book on your TBR with the most pages.

message 9: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments A book by a "local" author (resides at least part time in your city/state/region)

message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra | 374 comments A book with a number in the title.

message 11: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 1 comments A book chosen for you by another member of the group.

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 549 comments A book with an animal on the cover or in the title.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2159 comments A book by an author from Asia

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (goodreadscomwolfesmith) | 2 comments I book that is important to a significant other in your life (partner, parent, sibling, best friend)

message 15: by Clare (last edited Jun 11, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments Epistolary Fiction
(Fiction told through letters, emails, diary entries, etc.)

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (myeerah) | 125 comments A comic or graphic novel

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Clare wrote: "Epistolary Fiction
(Fiction told through letters, emails, diary entries, etc.)"

That's funny, I was thinking something very similar but I didn't know how to word it in a way people would understand. I was planning something like "A book written in a non-traditional format" (ie. in verse, Tweets, Facebook messages, emails, letters, etc.). Good to know what the actual name for it is.

message 18: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 5 spots left

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Tattersall (mothgender) | 29 comments A book by an author from a country other than your own.

message 20: by Astrid (new)

Astrid | 28 comments A non-fiction book

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 99 comments A new to you series

message 22: by J (new)

J Austill | 674 comments A book published the year your grandmother/grandfather was born.

message 23: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

For the sake of inclusivity, I'm going to change the family member ones to be more broad.

J: A book published the year a significant other was born (sibling, parent, grandparent, partner, close friend)

Breanne: A book recommended by a friend/family member

One spot left!!

message 24: by Leona (new)

Leona A book translated to English.

message 25: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

I know that we are at 20 suggestions and that it was previously marked as closed. As I was creating the survey, I realized that two of the suggestions are extremely similar.

- A book recommended by a friend/family member
- A book that is important to a significant other in your life (partner, parent, sibling, best friend)

There are small differences in these two suggestions I don't foresee the members being happy about both being in the final list. For that reason, I am merging these two suggestions and opening the suggestions back up for one more suggestion.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Sorry, I feel like I've been stirring up trouble by complaining in the other thread about topics being very similar...

Here is my suggestion:
- A collection of essays

message 27: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

No worries, Rachel, they really were very similar.

Posting the poll now :)

message 28: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Final list:

A book recommended by a friend/family member
A book written in first person perspective
A book from the Goodreads list "Top 100 YA books of all time" (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...)
A category from another challenge
A book with a family member word in the title (eg. wife, father, daughter, etc.)
A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading
The book on your TBR with the most pages
A book by a "local" author (resides at least part time in your city/state/region)
A book with a number in the title
A book chosen for you by another member of the group
A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
A book by an author from Asia
An Epistolary Fiction (Fiction told through letters, emails, diary entries, etc.)
A comic or graphic novel
A book by an author from a country other than your own
A non-fiction book
A new to you series
A book published the year a significant other was born (sibling, parent, grandparent, partner, close friend)
A book translated to English
A collection of essays

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.