What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Fantasy: A librarian, who is jinxed when it comes to magic, works in underground magical society.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexi (last edited Jun 25, 2016 03:52AM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments In this book, magical creatures of all kinds live underground because there is little magic on the surface. The main character is a librarian at a underground library full of magical books, but she herself is a disaster at magic. She has a pixie friend who watches over her and she lives aboveground. The book starts off in the library, when she somehow casts a spell. The pixie helps her either escape or cover it up, because magical usage is closely guarded in this society. One of the odd things about her is that she has these vivid dreams of a guy, who feels real to her although she has no idea of his identity.
I read this book digitally sometime in the last two years. I believe it was a kindle unlimited book, but I tried searching amazon and couldn't find it with my search terms.

Additional Info: June 14, 2016
I remember more about the beginning of the book. The spell she casts that gets her into trouble is a spell that made the books fly off her cart and return to the library shelves.
The reason the pixie looks out for her is because she believes the main character will fulfill some kind of prophecy about saving magic. She also has a female cousin who looks like her, but can successfully cast magic, so there are others who think she will be the one in the prophecy.
There are also shapeshifters in this book, but they are side characters and fall more on the feral side of shapeshifter lore. Shapeshifters are kept locked up behind some kind of barrier. I remember a scene from the middle of the book, where the main characters are being chased and have to hide behind the barrier. They end creating some kind of alliance with them.

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments The Library at Mount Char was a recent library based fantasy. I can't remember enough details to see if it fits on all the parameters, but the librarian and the magic for sure.

message 3: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Hillary wrote: "The Library at Mount Char was a recent library based fantasy. I can't remember enough details to see if it fits on all the parameters, but the librarian and the magic for sure."

That's not the book, although it looks like an interesting read. Thanks for responding! :)

message 4: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Some additional details I remembered:
-The main character has red hair.
-Magic runs in her family but she is considered a failure.
-There is corruption and a conspiracy in the magical government and law enforcement, though I can't remember specific details.
-She has been having those vivid dreams since she was a child.
-While she has magic, it never does what she specifies and goes haywire. She is not trusted to do the simplest spell.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33331 comments Mod
A guess - Life Reader by K.M. Shea?

Nyxia, is this book for young adults/teens or older adults?

Is her friend definitely called a "pixie" or possibly another creature?

What's the tone - mysterious, funny, scary, thrilling, romantic, etc.?

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 5 comments The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow?

No pixies, I don't think, but most everything else.

message 7: by Kris (new)

The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow for Ellie's suggestion.

message 8: by Lexi (last edited Jun 12, 2016 08:36PM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Kris wrote: "A guess - Life Reader by K.M. Shea?

Nyxia, is this book for young adults/teens or older adults?

Is her friend definitely called a "pixie" or possibly another crea..."

I have read Life Reader, but it is not the book I am talking about although it is a good one.
The book I'm describing has several scenes where that main character is running or hiding from corrupt government officials. This book is a mix of romance, mystery, and adventure. The guy in her dreams is also on the bad side of the same individuals chasing her.
I'm not sure if her friend was called a pixie, but I do know she was tiny, humanlike, had wings, and could use magic.
Thanks for the reply.

message 9: by Lexi (last edited Jun 12, 2016 08:37PM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Ellie wrote: "The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow?

No pixies, I don't think, but most everything else."

No, the Demon's Librarian isn't it. That book is darker in tone then the book I'm thinking about. Thanks for the reply.

message 10: by Lexi (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:01PM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments I remember more about the beginning of the book. The spell she casts that gets her into trouble is a spell that made the books fly off her cart and return to the library shelves.
The reason the pixie looks out for her is because she believes the main character will fulfill some kind of prophecy about saving magic. She also has a female cousin who looks like her, but can successfully cast magic, so there are others who think she will be the one in the prophecy.
There are also shapeshifters in this book, but they are side characters and fall more on the feral side of shapeshifter lore.
Thanks for any suggestions! :)

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Kind of reminds me of "Lireal" by Garth Nix...but some major differences.

message 12: by Kris (new)

Lirael by Garth Nix mentioned by Jamie

message 13: by Piper (new)

Piper Taylor | 4 comments I believe it's Marked by the Dragon King by Catherine Hale.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Marked by the Dragon King by Caroline Hale for Piper's suggestion.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (tadyena) | 8 comments it sounds a lot like Casually Cursed (Southern Witch, #5) by Kimberly Frost - but missing some main points

message 16: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Lirael, Marked by the Dragon King, and Casually Cursed look interesting, but are not the book I'm looking for. Thanks Jamie, Piper, Heather, and Kris for the suggestions and the links. :)

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hale | 1 comments Lexi wrote: "Lirael, Marked by the Dragon King, and Casually Cursed look interesting, but are not the book I'm looking for. Thanks Jamie, Piper, Heather, and Kris for the suggestions and the links. :)"
Hi Lexi! You are describing the events that take place in the Kissed by Fire series. Piper and Kris were correct. I am the author and you are describing my story spot on. There are four books in total or you can borrow the omnibus, they are all in kindle unlimited.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Lexi, did you take a second look at the "Kissed by Fire" series? Looks like this got moved to Possibly Solved.

message 19: by Sharni (new)

Sharni (sharnibear) | 61 comments Maybe, Frey