Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Looking to make cover art for other authors!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonita (last edited Jun 11, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Bonita Martin | 24 comments Hello Joseph,

I have an epic novel about a Cherokee family and their challenges from the removal (Trail of Tears) to the present day, when two of the family members are battling substance abuse. I have a picture in my mind for a cover: an elderly Cherokee man sitting on a rock, facing a river. I want the view to be from behind. He would be wearing a western shirt, jeans and a belt. His white hair would hang down his back in two braids. He would have a lovable mutt at his side. If you are interested, let me know. I can tell you more about the novel if you want to go in an entirely different direction. My idea is not written in stone.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 25 comments I have an idea for one, but have zero graphic arts skills. I'll give you the concept and then explain it in terms of the narrative.

Closest in the foreground is a small boy, approx 8 years old, with brown wavy hair covering part of his downcast face. He is wearing medieval clothing of a wealthy family. His face shows apprehensive loneliness.
Behind him is a young man in full plate armor. Turned slightly to the side, his hand rests on the hilt of the sword on his belt. Through the uplifted visor of his barbute helmet, he looks forward with resigned determination.
Looming behind both of them is a giant icon carved out of stone. It depicts a warrior in ornate armor clutching a long two handed great sword to his chest. The only thing that can be seen of his face are a pair of judging eyes glaring from behind the closed bellows visor of his salet helm.

All three are the same person at three different stage of his life. He is an orphan, blessed financially but cursed with an unfortunate family secret. He is forced into performing tasks for an unforgiving master that wants to conquer the world. When he tries to escape his servitude he becomes an icon that conquers the world through corruption instead of by the sword.

The manuscript is done and I'm editing it now while I run it past some Beta readers. One way or another this thing is getting published. If agents don't want it, I'll just self publish.