Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
This topic is about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Book Discussions > I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2016 07:51PM) (new)

This is the discussion hub for our discussion of the Harlan Ellison Short Story collection...

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in the Harlan Ellison IHNM&IMS Stories folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content below.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole or the author.

CONTENT
I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream
Big Sam Was My Friend
Eyes Of Dust
World of the Myth
Lonelyache
Delusion For A Dragon Slayer
Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic (linked above)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This collection was originally published in 1967. This time around I'll be reading the version Ellison revised in 1983. It's a relatively thin book with a mere seven stories.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2158 comments This was one of the first SF anthologies I read, not counting the pulps. It really made an impression on me as a youngster, especially the title story. I think it was the first one that I really noticed sex in. I guess I probably read it around 1970 since my original copy came from my father's books that were in storage when he died & I got them then. It was pretty edgy for the time.

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Bought this one today. First time reading Ellison.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2158 comments You're in for a treat. Mind blowing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "It was a good reread, but I'm dropping it by a star. There were a couple of real stinkers in here that I'd conveniently forgotten about or maybe I liked them at one time & just don't any more...."

Like Jim, I thought a bit less of this collection the second time around. It's not because the science has become obsolete.

Partly it's because this New Wave, more literary style of writing, which seemed almost unique in 1968, has become commonplace in SF/F, especially in short stories. So that's a case of appreciating the historical context of the stories less.

Partly it's also because there've been a lot of societal changes since, especially with regards to the role of women, and the 60's nature of it seems out of place today.

Michael | 152 comments Well, I've finished the third story in this anthology and I think I'm going to call it done. Ellison's writing just seems very flat and dated. I might feel different if I had read it as a teen when it first came out but now it's just not my cup of tea.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

G33, you didn't put the TM after Harlin's name...he's gunna sue....

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2158 comments LOL! Good one, Spook.

Michael, I'm sorry to read you're stopping. "Eyes of Dust" was one of the stinkers IMO, too.

Michael | 152 comments Jim wrote: "Michael, I'm sorry to read you're stopping. "Eyes of Dust" was one of the stinkers IMO, too."
Honestly, I didn't like any of the first three stories which leads me to believe I won't like any of the rest.

I used to be rather obsessive about finishing every book I ever started but these days I've got so many unread books on my Kindle and on my bookshelf that I just can't be bothered to force myself to read a book I'm not really enjoying.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2158 comments If you're not enjoying any of them, there's no need to torture yourself. Too many books, not enough time. I was let down reading this collection this time.

It's been interesting reading the comments to see just why. The writing isn't nearly as sophisticated as I thought it was. Actually, it's clunky. I recall the stories as subtle with a lot of meaning. Now I feel like they're slapping me over the head with a couple of obvious points, though. The title story, "Pretty Maggie Money eyes", "World of Myth", & "Delusion For A Dragon Slayer" were the best stories in the collection.