Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
This topic is about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Harlan Ellison IHNM&IMS Stories > "Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes" by Harlan Ellison

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2016 07:57PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story:

"Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes" by Harlan Ellison

This story is part of Ellison's collection I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, part of our group's anthology discussion.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments The cyclical nature of this story wasn't a new idea, but the vehicle was perfect for our times. This was another story that always stuck with me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think "Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes" is the 2nd most popular Ellison story in this collection (after the title story.) It conflates lust for money (or perhaps just the excitement of gambling) with the more carnal definition of the word through a haunted slot machine.

The story is akin to supernatural horror, not really my strong suit, but it's short and makes a decent read even for me.

Historically, the most amusing thing was the value of money. In 1967, $2000 was real money (you could buy a decent, brand-new car for that) and the $36,000 mentioned would buy a really nice house outright. Times have changed. :)

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments This is an old favorite even if Ellison & I are at odds on the point. He wrote this as a condemnation of Vegas. OTOH, I don't believe in blaming the gun for the shot, only the person who pulled the trigger. As an alcoholic sober for 25 years, I have profound personal experience in self-destruction. I KNOW that no one can be saved from themselves & they'll find a means to do themselves in one way or another. IOW, it's not the temptation's fault & there can be too much of a good thing. Even with such a basic disagreement though, this story works for both of us. Fantastic. 5 stars.