Chicks On Lit discussion

The Beach House (Beach House #1)
This topic is about The Beach House
Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > The Beach House (by Mary Alice Monroe) July schedule

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments July 1-7 read chapters 1-7,
July 8-14 read chapters 8-14 & discuss ch1-7,
July 15-21 read chapters 15-21 & discuss ch 8-14,
July 22-28 read chapters 22-27 & discuss ch 15-21,
July 29-31 complete discussion.

message 2: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Sounds good Irene. Thank you for posting! Who will be joining us for this one in July? I've ordered myself a copy of the book, so I will be in. :-)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4841 comments I plan om reading this one.

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 93 comments I'm planning on it.

QueenAmidala28 Just ordered the book! Excited!!!

message 6: by Daniale (new) - added it

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments I'm back! and reading!

Patricia I read this book years ago & actually still have my copy. Since I was going to the beach (in SC), this past Sunday, I decided to bring it with me. So, I've gotten a head start. Probably a first for me in this group; I'm usually a month or two behind.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 42 comments who is the author?

message 9: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol wrote: "who is the author?"

Mary Alice Monroe. (I know, there are several books with this exact same title! )

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 42 comments I bought the book tonight and looking forward to getting started. It will be my first trip participate in a book discussion on Good Reads.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Carol wrote: "I bought the book tonight and looking forward to getting started. It will be my first trip participate in a book discussion on Good Reads."

Welcome

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just got started on this one last night and I think I am going to enjoy it. I like that is seems loggerhead turtles are going to play a big part in the story! :-)

message 13: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3941 comments Just borrowed my copy.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments arghhhh I got the wrong book. LOL.

message 15: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renee wrote: "arghhhh I got the wrong book. LOL."

Oh no! Which one did you get? James Patterson's? Or Jane Green's? Or someone else. I know there are multiple books with this exact same title.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe its this one

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Happy 4th of July.

Janet (janet428) | 11 comments Hi Irene and everyone else. This will be my first group book read. Just started it!

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Janet wrote: "Hi Irene and everyone else. This will be my first group book read. Just started it!"

Welcome!!!

QueenAmidala28 Janet wrote: "Hi Irene and everyone else. This will be my first group book read. Just started it!"

Hi Janet!!!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4841 comments welcome Janet

message 22: by Irene Del (last edited Jul 08, 2016 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Hello readers,
Q1- What do you think about the way the author begins each chapter?
Q2- Is there a connection between the information given and the characters?
Q 3- What do you think Cara's true struggle is?
Q4- Do you see a metaphor between the houses and the siblings?
Q5- What would you do about the situation if you were Lovie?

message 23: by Daniale (new) - added it

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Nice questions, Irene! Thank you!
Q1: I love they way the author begins each chapter. I like the information about the loggerheads and they way that information connects with the surrounding information of the plot as well as the connections between the characters. I tend to like when authors connect seemingly unrelated information together.
Q2: I see the information at the beggining of each chapter as paralleling the struggles of both Caretta and Lovie. I question which woman is being represented by the loggerheads at times. The loggerhead mothers are stubborn and headstrong, and both Lovie and Caretta are, too. Also, the loggerheads are wary of danger, and have "false starts" before they can settle down. So perhaps, while Lovie is the Turtle Woman, the information presented is really representing Cara's struggles to find herself and where she truly fits in in the world?
Q3: I think Cara's true struggle is being at peace with herself and the decisions she makes. She has a past that haunts her, but she doesn't seem really happy in Chicago, either.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Hi Daniale,
A1-I liked that technique, too. Did you read the prologue? Caretta is a sea turtle. Ch 1 starts with the drive home which is similar to the loggerhead's journey home. Cara is reluctant about going home, it's a chore, just like the struggle the sea turtle has to get to the nesting place. She finds someone else in (Toy) her home and sizes her up, rivalry. What do turtle do if another turtle is nesting in her nest area?

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Who goes anywhere without their cellphone?

Rebecca | 2 comments I loved the prologue made me want to plunge into it.

QueenAmidala28 Just got the book cant wait. Majored in zoology in college so it will be interesting to see sea turtles from others perspectives.

Janet (janet428) | 11 comments Hi Everyone. I have to say I am enjoying this book.
I think the beginning of each chapter also represents one of the characters. the most obvious (to me) is the first chapter that describes the loggerhead going to shore after 20 years to nest. This to me is very similar to Cara. Also Chapter 2 when the author writes about imprinting or genes that prompt behavior, this can be all 4 of the main characters so far. Lovie who acts differently with her children then her "thoughts" come across in the beginning of the book. Cara's reaction to everything so far, Toy's ideas about returning to her previous situation and Palmer who appears (so far) to be following genetics.
I am still unsure of Cara's true struggle so far. It seems as her reason for leaving her home at a young age and not returning for 20 years should be because of a very deep/bad/? experience. It appears Lovie thinks of the reason she left from a different perspective.
As far as the houses go, the Beach House seems like a safe haven for Lovie and Cara. The past has no unpleasant associations. The large house represents the life the are trying to get away from. Palmer sees the Beach House as an investment and does not appear to have any attachment towards it. The large house might be the "success" he wants and it gives him the appearance that he wants to show the world.
If I were Lovie, I am not sure that I would be able to change much. She does not appear to be a strong character as far as breaking from her tradition. We will see??
Sorry this is so long. Hope I didn't ramble too much. First book discussion on Goodreads.

message 29: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Irene wrote: "Who goes anywhere without their cellphone?"

I found this amusing too. She just left her house with no phone, no computer, nothing. Really? LOL

message 30: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am enjoying this book, and love how each chapter starts with a paragraph about the turtles. I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot of secrets about all these family members as this story progresses.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Janet your input is awesome. It's what a book study is.

message 32: by Irene Del (last edited Jul 09, 2016 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Sheila, in Ch 6 we learn, Palmer and she had suffered a long series of insults and sad incidents that curled thick and musty around her like the fog on this gunmetal-gray night.

Janet (janet428) | 11 comments I agree about the cell phone but if her whole life was her career and it came tumbling down maybe she would run away from everything. But it's not realistic for her character. That being said, it's fiction so I'm going to go with it!

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 93 comments I didn't read most of the chapter headings because I wasn't that interested in the life habits of turtles until later in the book I became more intrigued. I knew they probably related to the chapter but I was enjoying the story too much to stop and figure them out. I am enjoying everyone's insights tho.

message 35: by Daniale (new) - added it

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Irene wrote: "Hi Daniale,
A1-I liked that technique, too. Did you read the prologue? Caretta is a sea turtle. Ch 1 starts with the drive home which is similar to the loggerhead's journey home. Cara is reluctant ..."

I did read the prologue, but didn't connect the loggerheads solely with Cara. Like the loggerheads, Lovie is also returning home in a sense. Without giving out spoilers (becasue I ripped through this while camping!), by coming back to the beach house, Lovie is coming back to where she was metaphorically born: the time when she identified her true self as a woman.

message 36: by Daniale (new) - added it

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Irene wrote: "Who goes anywhere without their cellphone?" Yeah, I thought this was pretty out of character for Cara. Perhaps if she had just left her charger it would have been more realistic. I just ignored it though, while mentally rolling my eyes :)

Janet (janet428) | 11 comments Irene wrote: "Janet your input is awesome. It's what a book study is."

Thanks!

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Good point Daniale.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Thank you Blueberry

message 40: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3941 comments I am afraid that I may be an outlier on this one. I read the first two chapters last night and it feels as if I know where the story is going already. It is not only that I assume this is going to be a story of mother daughter reconciliation, but I think I see the shifts each character is going to undergo. Cara is being described with adverbs that imply anger and defensiveness: slouching into the rocker, jerking her head around, muddering under her breath while Lovie is given adverbs that convey openness and grace: flinging wide, slipping into the chair, tenderly touching, etc. Toy is also coming across as a stereotype. Her parents are pure meanness, filthy house, no family meals, no care for their daughter, total rejection in her time of need, and let's throw in empty Christian moralizing because that adds hypocrisy. Meanwhile Toy is all light and goodness. I can't count the number of times in chapter 2 I was told that she was grateful and appreciative. This young teen with no example of healthy family living easily and automatically adapts to Lovie's home, no distrust, no rebellion, no scared retreat. I need more nuance in my characters than I have gotten so far.

message 41: by Daniale (new) - added it

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Oh yeah, I could totally see where this was going. I found it very predictable and the characters fairly simple. That's not to say I didn't enjoy n the read though. I need some brain candy towards the end of the school year!

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments I was hoping there was no disappointment in this novel. Once in a while I like reading simple stories.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Hi Irene, im going to reread chapter 2 because I didnt get that impression from Toy's family life. I thought she was a rebellious teen doing what she wanted when she wanted and being disobedient to her parents. Now she is in trouble because she followed her whims of sexual lust instead of waiting to build a foundation in the relationship.

message 44: by Irene Del (last edited Jul 10, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments I reread it, Toy's family lives in poverty, not only financial, but emotional and cognitive poverty. It is evident that she is only behaving in the manner the adults in her life behaved, that is displaying distructive behaviors. The house is filthy, there is no food, clothes are dirty. Living with Lovie provides Toy with an opportunity to learn how keep a home. Some people are trapped in that cycle of life and don't get off the merry-go-round because they don't know how to or that they are even on it.

message 45: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3941 comments I do not recall the book telling us that Toy's family was financially poor. I recall the physical disarray, the fend-for-yourself eating, the lact of nurturing by Toy's parents and their rejection of her when she gets pregnant. But, I missed any explicit statement of financial poverty. Whether or not Toy's biological family's poor situation was a result of financial need, intellectual limitations (which was never stated) or simply a different value system, it is rare that anyone can walk out of 18 years of such conditioning and transform into the rules and expectations of Lovie's culture in three months. If Toy's parents were as conditional in their love as indicated, Toy should have some trust issues which I have not seen yet.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Irene, it doesn't specifically state it. I gathered that insight from the details.

message 47: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3941 comments I assumed they were lacy and selfish, not poor.

Irene Del (irene918) | 1016 comments Week 2 discussion questions
Q1-Do you find the story interesting?

Q2-How has the past shaped each character's life and behavior? Cara, Lovie, and Palmer

Q3-Do you find the author use symbols to reinforce important ideas?

Q4-There are various conflicts in the novel, which one do you think creates the greatest tension? Why?

message 49: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3941 comments Starting the first week behind in the reading, I am now caught up.

I find Cara's transformation unbelievable. She comes into the story oozing resentment and defensiveness. One late night conversation with her mother that did not last all that long and watching a turtle lay eggs causes her to wake up the next morning all understanding and openness. I don't buy it.

I also don't believe that the hunk of the high school football team, incredibly built, brilliant enough to be offered several ivy league college scholarships, successful businessman, yet down to earth guy, a man who not only cooks, but goes out and captures the food, a competent carpenter with a sensitive and gentle personality, in short the ideal catch, is sitting around unmarried in his early 40s just waiting for this spark with Cara when she shows up in town. I have a far easier time believing that she traveled to Sout Carolina without laptop or cell phone than that this perfect man is waiting for a romance just when Caraarrives on his doorstep.

message 50: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Q1-Do you find the story interesting?

I am finding the story interesting, though a tad predictable. But sometimes a nice, easy to read, predictable story is just what I feel like!

Q2-How has the past shaped each character's life and behavior? Cara, Lovie, and Palmer

This seems like your typical "dysfunctional family" story, with us slowly being told the dramas and traumas each family member has faced, with past family secrets being revealed. Cara was fierce and independent, and tried to escape the dysfunction, yet it is still with her. Palmer ended up becoming like his father. Lovie has been keeping secrets her whole life from her family, and is just now, at her death, exposing them.

Q3-Do you find the author use symbols to to reinforce important ideas?

I have not had any major articles of symbolism jump out at me, but then again I haven't been thinking about them or looking for them as I read.

Q4-There are various conflicts in the novel, which one do you think creates the greatest tension? Why?

The family tension between Palmer, Cara and Lovie is the one I see as the biggest. There are a lot of secrets in this family. Cara is encouraging Lovie to stand up to Palmer and become independent. Lovie has secrets, and wants to protect her beach house, the empty lots (the secret one of which I believe is hers given to her by the man she loved the one summer) and the turtles.

« previous 1