Emily March Fans discussion

My Big Old Texas Heartache (Cedar Dell, #1)
This topic is about My Big Old Texas Heartache
Family Secrets > My Big Old Texas Heartache

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paula Radell (lady_lovesbooks) | 2103 comments Mod
Let's share thoughts about My Big Old Texas Heartache, #1 in the Cedar Dell series by Emily, originally written under her former pen name, Geralyn Dawson...ask questions, tell the group what you're loving, and just have fun sharing your reading experience with friends.

message 2: by Lola (new)

Lola  | 1001 comments OK Ladies , I want a Women's Bill of Rights ! What would be one of yours? One of mine would be that the toilet seat should always be put back down so my fanny doesn't get an unexpected bath in the middle of the night. lol Hugs Lola

message 3: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola wrote: "OK Ladies , I want a Women's Bill of Rights ! What would be one of yours? One of mine would be that the toilet seat should always be put back down so my fanny doesn't get an unexpected bath in the ..."

OMG Lola, I almost spit out my coffee! Mine would be: Apples and carrots are cute when fed to horses. However, when husbands chomp on them in bed, it's just annoying.

message 4: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am loving this story so much, but it's breaking my good ol' Virginia heart! Who's your favorite character so far? Who makes you smile? Who makes you angry? Who makes your heart hurt?

Let's hear it!

message 5: by Lola (new)

Lola  | 1001 comments I think Ryan is my favorite, smart kid, knows what he wants and finally stands up to Mom. It is true in real life we put our dreams on to our children and some miss seeing it is not their dream. Hugs Lola

message 6: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola wrote: "I think Ryan is my favorite, smart kid, knows what he wants and finally stands up to Mom. It is true in real life we put our dreams on to our children and some miss seeing it is not their dream. Hu..."

You're right, Lola -- It's easy to think we know what's best for them, and when it comes to their safety, or their health, we never stop worrying. But when they reach a certain age, or stage of maturity, we have to let them grow without hovering -- and that's a real challenge. We want what we THINK is best for them, but we have to let them make their own decisions and deal with the consequences -- good or bad. It's a tough lesson, and as a once-single parent, I think it's often easier said than done. *points at self*

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "Lola wrote: "I think Ryan is my favorite, smart kid, knows what he wants and finally stands up to Mom. It is true in real life we put our dreams on to our children and some miss seeing it is not th..."
This applies to all parents, not just 'single parents', this last week has been a case in point for me with mu 40+ year old son.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments This book is a great reminder of how the choices we make in our lives determine the course of our future. And how forgiveness and knowledge of the truth can bring about understanding and reconciliation.
Emily has a way of bringing the reader into the lives of her characters and making you feel a kinship with the family.
I really enjoyed reading this story.
We should read more of this series if they are available.

message 9: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

They are available and we will continue the series next!! I'm loving it too!!

message 10: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi, reading friends -- I finished Emily's book a couple of days ago, and as always, I loved it. She threw me for a loop near the end, but I loved the way things came together. Do any of you have a favorite quote you'd like to share? I've got a couple of them highlighted - I will add mine when I get back to my iPad.

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Melinda M (Researcher707) | 292 comments
Emily,
I was wondering if when you wrote My Big Old Texas Heartache, did you have a plan for a series about Brazos Bend, Texas or did it come later after the story was written or published?

message 12: by Emily, Author (new)

Emily March (emilymarchbooks) | 113 comments Mod
Hi Melinda!

The small town has always been the same in my mind, but I had to change the name when I changed publishers. Originally, Brazos Bend was Cedar Dell. I wrote My Big Old Texas Heartache and the book now titled as The Last Bachelor in Texas as Cedar Dell. Then I moved publishers and the way my contracts were I had to change the name, so Cedar Dell became Brazos Bend. When I got the rights back to the books, I was able to change it and make it consistent, so I chose Brazos Bend. Not the cleanest way to do things, but it was the best I could do. I made sure to get better contract terms with Eternity Springs, so I won't have this problem going forward. :)

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Emily wrote: "Hi Melinda!

The small town has always been the same in my mind, but I had to change the name when I changed publishers. Originally, Brazos Bend was Cedar Dell. I wrote My Big Old Texas Heartache a..."

Thanks for answering. We get wiser with things after the fact. I am glad that you have made sure to keep Eternity Springs no matter who publishes your work.
I like having the link between the series.

message 14: by Paula, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've seen several authors affected by changing publishers - or worse, having small publishers go out of business, which meant that all of their books had to be re-formatted, with new covers, and re-uploaded (in e-format). When that happens, they lose every one of their former reviews.

I think Brazos Bend is a great name for a fictional place - for whatever reason, I'm so glad you were able to create it and give us more stories!