Books on the Nightstand discussion

The Future of Podcasting

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2753 comments Mod
Because of comments/questions expressed on the most recent episode of the podcast, I thought there might some interest in this article that just came into my inbox:

https://stratechery.com/2016/the-futu...

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail | 73 comments Thanks for posting, Linda. Makes for interesting reading. I wonder what way most of us listen to podcasts. I used to use iTunes on my desktop and then transfer to an mp3 player, but now use Player FM on my phone.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 552 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "Because of comments/questions expressed on the most recent episode of the podcast, I thought there might some interest in this article that just came into my inbox:

https://stratechery.com/2016/th..."

Thanks Linda...Very interesting.

As to Gail's question: I try to find an RSS feed but no matter if I start with itunes or stitcher or whatever, I generally download to computer and then to mp3 player. There may be an easier way but this is how I started way back when. It works, it's not broken, so I probably won't change it until I can't do it the way I do anymore.

message 4: by Britany (new)

Britany | 518 comments I use the Podcast app on my iphone- does this also link to itunes? Or is it something separate?

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2753 comments Mod
Britany wrote: "I use the Podcast app on my iphone- does this also link to itunes? Or is it something separate?"

What I know, Britany, is that I originally found podcasts on iTunes, I subscribed. Years later, when I got an iPad it had the Podcast app and I get my podcasts through that.

I still prefer to listen from my computer, but podcasts still come up through the Podcast app.

message 6: by Britany (new)

Britany | 518 comments thanks Linda! Appreciate your comment. :)

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 187 comments Until recently I also used iTunes on my laptop and then downloaded to my iPod. I still do that occasionally, as I love my tiny Nano if I'm going for a serious walk.
But now I embrace the ease of streaming on my phone using the Pocketcast app.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 200 comments I'm commenting as a podcaster myself, who listens to other podcasts on an iPhone using the Podcasts app. I'm so glad not to have to download them to iTunes and select which episodes go onto the device the way I used to (but know people who still do this.)

One thing that has started happening recently is that listeners have requested for the podcast to be listed other places they consume podcasting, if they are avoiding Apple for one reason or another. Most of the time I can register, and now mine is listed not only in iTunes but in TuneIn (they have a great radio app and subscribers also get access to eBooks, which one of my coworker does instead of Audible) and Google Play. Spotify has podcasts now but only special snowflakes that they invite. One can not simply... register their podcast and have it listed. Google Play is also what allows my podcast to be findable in the Echo, which is awesome, although I've never used one. I figure the more places I can be listed, the better.

I feel two ways about funding. Personally I eat the costs of the production side of my podcast. I feel like I get enough free books that asking for more than that is greedy, and doing it for "free" makes me feel like I get to experiment the way I want to. But I do understand why people get sponsors (but this is why I fast forward 20 minutes into Marc Maron and speed through the first 1-2 minutes of the podcasts that frontload it.) As a consumer, I hate hearing it since in every other form of media, I have paid to have advertising removed from paid subscriptions to YouTube and Spotify and getting TiVo. I suppose if there could be a fee structure to the podcasts app that would take out all advertising, I might be willing but since everyone does it differently, that will probably never work.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 9 comments Interesting Jenny....I will check out your podcast. I do agree with ads in podcasts. I do fast forward through when ads get out of hand and I do love my TiVo. But I also appreciate some podcasters who seem to do it better. For example on a technology podcast I love (TWIT), the host is very selective of ads to make sure it's something he thinks is of value for us, it's a live read and he makes it personal about how he uses it and why he loves it. I don't mind those kinds of ads.

I am a bit skeptical of the future of podcasts with not being able to be listed everywhere like in skitcher. I'm afraid that could cause a loss of the smaller ones and those are sometimes the best ones.

I use a podcast app (downcast) on my phone which automatically checks and downloads all new episodes for me each morning on wifi. I can't imagine having to do it with a wire via iTunes everyday either!

message 10: by Marty (new)

Marty | 190 comments I use RSS Radio app on my phone for podcasts. There's a free version and a premium version for $4. Easy to use, use to find new podcasts, capability to group podcasts by categories that I set up - automatic downloads (or manual if you prefer). I don't have to think about it ....I always have something that I'm interested in to listen to.

I've just started listening to All the Books (Book Riot) - the discussion is interesting, but the sound quality leaves a LOT to be desired.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 200 comments Marty wrote: "I use RSS Radio app on my phone for podcasts. There's a free version and a premium version for $4. Easy to use, use to find new podcasts, capability to group podcasts by categories that I set up - ..."

So does it basically work with any RSS feed or do they have their own listings?

message 12: by Marty (new)

Marty | 190 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Marty wrote: "I use RSS Radio app on my phone for podcasts. There's a free version and a premium version for $4. Easy to use, use to find new podcasts, capability to group podcasts by categories th..."

They have their own very extensive listings, but you can also enter a URL manually. I've never tried that feature, but it's available.