Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Dance With Dragons Discussions > A Dance With Dragons General Thread **** no spoilers here please

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Jul 13, 2016 04:42AM) (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
Book #5 - A Dance With Dragons group read and discussion

~ runs from Sept. 1-Oct. 31, 2016

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Thanks Roseanne for entering those chapter threads.
I look forward to this read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too! Can I ask for a recap? Or where everyone is at?

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I just read a summary of the book so I know where I am at - it gets confusing when you have already watched the tv series, so I wanted to know what book 5 covered.

message 5: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Yeah right before I start the book I will go onto youtube and watch some Feast for Crows book reviews and discussions for a refresher.

message 6: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

For those wanting to make personal deadlines/schedules here is approximately where the book is divided in quarters.

1st quarter:
A Dance with Dragons ~ 1. PROLOGUE *Discuss only the prologue
A Dance with Dragons ~ 2. TYRION I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 3. DAENERYS I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 4. JON I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 5. BRAN I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 6. TYRION II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 7. THE MERCHANT'S MAN *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 8. JON II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 9. TYRION III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 10. DAVOS I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 11. JON III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 12. DAENERYS II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 13. REEK I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 14. BRAN II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 15. TYRION IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 16. DAVOS II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 17. DAENERYS III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 18. JON IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 19. TYRION V *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Second Quarter:
A Dance with Dragons ~ 20. DAVOS III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 21. REEK II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 22. JON V *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 23. TYRION VI *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 24. DAENERYS IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 25. THE LOST LORD *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 26. THE WINDBLOWN *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 27. THE WAYWARD BRIDE *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 28. TYRION VII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 29. JON VI *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 30. DAVOS IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 31. DAENERYS V *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 32. MELISANDRE I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 33. REEK III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 34. TYRION VIII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 35. BRAN III *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 36. JON VII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 37. DAENERYS VI *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Third Quarter:
A Dance with Dragons ~ 38. THE PRINCE OF ... *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 39. THE WATCHER *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 40. JON VIII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 41. TYRION IX *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 42. THE TURNCLOAK *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 43. THE KING'S PRIZE *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 44. DAENERYS VII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 45. JON IX *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 46. THE BLIND GIRL *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 47. A GHOST IN WINTERFELL *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 48. TYRION X *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 49. JAIME I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 50. JON X *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 51. DAENERYS VIII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 52. THEON I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 53. DAENERYS IX *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 54. JON XI *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 55. CERSEI I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Fourth Quarter:
A Dance with Dragons ~ 56. THE QUEENSGUARD *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 57. THE IRON SUITOR *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 58. TYRION XI *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 59. JON XII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 60. THE DISCARDED KNIGHT *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 61. THE SPURNED SUITOR *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 62. THE GRIFFIN REBORN *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 63. THE SACRIFICE *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 64. VICTARION I *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 65. THE UGLY LITTLE GIRL *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 66. CERSEI II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 67. TYRION XII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 68. THE KINGBREAKER *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 69. THE DRAGONTAMER *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 70. JON XIII *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 71. THE QUEEN'S HAND *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 72. DAENERYS X *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 73. EPILOGUE *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior
A Dance with Dragons ~ 74 APPENDIX/ENTIRE BOOK *Discuss the appendix and the book as a whole

***It is not a schedule but with long books it can be helpful to read for instance a quarter of the book in one week ( or two weeks ) to feel less overwhelmed.

message 7: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Aug 20, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

I am going to try to read each quarter within a week. Since I won't have other books on the go, I think it is possible.

If I don't set these types of goals then I don't stay on track and get really behind.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Thanks Leslie! I didn't get the book yet, but I will try to keep up with you.

message 9: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
I just finished A Feast For Crows earlier this week and I just got my copy of A Dance with Dragons. Thanks to Leslie for breaking it down. I am so not the planner. There were moments I didn't think I would be ready in time for this one.

message 10: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Yeah!!! Can't wait!!!

message 11: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Roseanne wrote: "I just finished A Feast For Crows earlier this week and I just got my copy of A Dance with Dragons. Thanks to Leslie for breaking it down. I am so not the planner. There were moments I didn't think..."

You are very welcome.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Leslie, you need to change your profile picture!

message 13: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Yep I will be sure to do that.

message 14: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
I'm getting antsy to start but I am waiting until the first. Anyone else?

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Great profile picture - love the ice blue eyes!!

message 16: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Terry wrote: "Great profile picture - love the ice blue eyes!!"

Thanks...gotta love Snapchat! I saw that featue and knew exactly what I would use it for.

message 17: by S (new)

S (siyxx) | 100 comments I second with Terry here, Leslie, your profile pic is awesome lol

message 18: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Thanks Siya! ☺

message 19: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments That's such a fun picture!

message 20: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Yes, definitely agree about the picture!

I've also divided the books, though my division is a bit different. I have the Harper Voyager 2014 edition, so I've technically got two books - one for each month, though the second one is shorter. This is what I'm aiming for (I've accounted for when the week isn't full):

September - ADwD I: Dreams and Dust
Week 1: Prologue to Chapter 4 (Bran I)
Week 2: Chapter 5 (Tyrion II) to Chapter 15 (Davos II)
Week 3: Chapter 16 (Daenerys III) to Chapter 25 (The Windblown)
Week 4: Chapter 26 (The Wayward Bride) to Chapter 35 (Jon VII)
Week 5: Chapter 36 (Daenerys VI) to Chapter 40 (Tyrion IX)

October - ADwD II: After the Feast
Week 1: Chapter 41 (The Turncloak) and Chapter 42 (The King's Prize)
Week 2: Chapter 43 (Daenerys VII) to Chapter 49 (Jon X)
Week 3: Chapter 50 (Daenerys VIII) to Chapter 56 (The Iron Suitor)
Week 4: Chapter 57 (Tyrion XI) to Chapter 64 (The Ugly Little Girl)
Week 5: Chapter 65 (Cersei II) to Epilogue

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I do like the White Walker look.

Everyone has plans. I just hope I can finish Mansfield Park before the 1st, so I can start this book.

I am very excited to start this book. I waited a long time! The end of the year is going to be a great!

message 22: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Thanks guys about the picture.

I have so much group read plans that I think I am going to try to cut back on them in the new year. No new ones are going to be added to my list.

Well that is the plan anyway. Will it actually Happen? Doubtful. Lol

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition omg, I kept saying I was not going to commit to any group reads ( other than this one) for Sept / Oct but I think I already have 3 anyway...

message 24: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Terry wrote: "omg, I kept saying I was not going to commit to any group reads ( other than this one) for Sept / Oct but I think I already have 3 anyway..."

I have The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, The Game of Kings, and Theft of Swords. (I look forward to all of those big time)

I may have to bail on the Harry Potter group read but that will depend on how I am feeling when book 4 rolls around. That will be right in the middle of the Lord of the Rings reads. Oh first world problems.

message 25: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments I'm still suffering with The Silmarilion and will definitely not be able to finish it by 1st September. Not sure it's a good idea to read it alongside ADwD. What is worse is that The Silmarilion will be the 100th book in my goodreads "Read" list and I was kind of hoping for something more special. Oh, well...

message 26: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Ria wrote: "I'm still suffering with The Silmarilion and will definitely not be able to finish it by 1st September. Not sure it's a good idea to read it alongside ADwD. What is worse is that The Silmarilion wi..."

How is the Silmarilion?

message 27: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Same here Ria. I'm struggling to finish Silmarillion. It's not what I expected. Nothing like Lotr.. There are many parts that interest me and it doesn't have lengthy and detailed descriptions but it feels as if I'm studying for history exams. I just want to get over with it.

message 28: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "Ria wrote: "I'm still suffering with The Silmarilion and will definitely not be able to finish it by 1st September. Not sure it's a good idea to read it alongside ADwD. What is worse is that The Si..."
It kind of feels like I'm reading the Bible. I'm still in the very beginning, because I haven't touched it in weeks. It's like Lena said - some parts are interesting, but mostly it's just... boring. I know he's just setting up the world and all that, I don't really know what I was expecting, but I guess it wasn't this. Besides, the language is kind of... complicated. He's trying to sound all epic and stuff and sometimes I have to read a sentence twice to get it.

message 29: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Agree with everything Ria said... To those of you considering reading it before LOTR I suggest you skip it. If I had read this first I would never have touched the LOTR trilogy.

message 30: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

So are you guys in no rush to read the other 2?

(I am just asking due to thread entries)

message 31: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments What other two?

message 32: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Bilbo's song and children of Hurin?? No, I wasn't planning on reading those two anyway! You did a great job with the threads though!!! Thanks Leslie!

message 33: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

LENA wrote: "Bilbo's song and children of Hurin?? No, I wasn't planning on reading those two anyway! You did a great job with the threads though!!! Thanks Leslie!"

Yeah those 2. I will maybe delete them then. They can always be added later if someone wants them.

message 34: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Ok. I am starting a Dance with Dragons. Enough Twilight ... I need some good stuff tonight!

Let's do this thang!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Go for it, Leslie - I'm going to start on Saturday - long weekend and NO PLANS for a change!

message 36: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Terry wrote: "Go for it, Leslie - I'm going to start on Saturday - long weekend and NO PLANS for a change!"

Excellent!

message 37: by S (new)

S (siyxx) | 100 comments @Leslie lol I checked out your profile earlier and saw you were reading Twilight I was about to comment something like...er maybe not a good idea? haha Glad to hear you're moving on from that fuelwood already! (no offenese to anyone of you who likes it tho)

I'm still in the middle of this creepy thing called Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. Will begin with ADWD right after this one!

message 38: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Siya wrote: "@Leslie lol I checked out your profile earlier and saw you were reading Twilight I was about to comment something like...er maybe not a good idea? haha Glad to hear you're moving on from that fuelw..."

I intend to finish it...I just need a break and some good writing.

message 39: by S (new)

S (siyxx) | 100 comments You know what? Forget it. I'm starting ADWD today as well.

message 40: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Siya wrote: "You know what? Forget it. I'm starting ADWD today as well."

Haha!!

message 41: by Ria (last edited Aug 30, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "Yeah those 2. I will maybe delete them then. They can always be added later if someone wants them."

Well, I'm still thinking about reading The Children of Hurin after The Silmarillion and between the Hobbit (so that would most likely be some time in the second half of September, because I have one more book to read between the Silmarillion and the Children of Hurin). I can set the threads when I start reading, though I assume someone else would have to lock them in place, 'cause I think only a moderator has that authority. Btw, The Silmarillion is getting somewhat better, perhaps it was a matter of getting used to it. Still a bit boring, though. And I change my mind, it's more like reading Greek or Scandinavian mythology, rather than the Bible. There are actually quite a lot of references to Scandinavian mythology, if you know what to look for.

I'll probably also read Bilbo's Last Song, because I'm a stubborn bastard and if I don't finish the series, it would bug me (thankfully all the other five billion Middle-earth-related works are considered unifnished, so I can ignore them without feeling guilty), but that's after TLoR, so there's lots of time.

message 42: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Ria wrote: "Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "Yeah those 2. I will maybe delete them then. They can always be added later if someone wants them."

Well, I'm still thinking about reading The Children of Hurin afte..."

Sure. If I see them up there I will lock them in.

message 43: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Thanks, Leslie.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to put this post but I have been thinking lately about the parallels between ASOIAF and actual history and came up with a couple of points, maybe you guys have noticed some others, I would love to hear other ideas.

Westeros = Great Britain
Apart from the fact that the map of Westeros is actually the map of the British Isles turned on its head, both consist of formerly separate kingdoms and have similar history:
The First men = The Celts
The Andals = The Anglo-Saxons
They are a fair people who crossed the narrow sea/ English Channel, settled in Westeros/ Britain and brought their culture with them.
Aegon the Conqueror = William the Conqueror

The Wall = Hadrian's Wall, which would make wildlings = scots? (I can just imagine Tormund being like me meemberrrr)

Targaryen incest marriages = Ancient Egyptien Pharao Incest marriages
both were done to keep the bloodline "pure" and had some dire consequences for the decendents' health

Mad King Aerys = Caligula
Both were cruel and arbitrary tyrants and when they fell from power and were murdered (by their own guards), their infant grandchild's/ child's head was dashed against a wall.

Old Valyria = Ancient Rome
They were once powerful kingdoms which have fallen but are still spoken highly of. They built hardy roads still in use today.

Triarchs of Volantis = Kumari of Nepal
In both cases, they are revered and their feet are never allowed to touch the floor. (Granted, the Kumari are little girls that are supposed to imbody a god, and they stop imbodying that god when they hit puberty, but the feet thing is pretty specific)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Man Leslie. I want to read what you wrote on those threads but I haven't started the book yet. Sigh. Stupid cold ruined everything.

message 46: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Alex Farrand wrote: "Man Leslie. I want to read what you wrote on those threads but I haven't started the book yet. Sigh. Stupid cold ruined everything."

To be honest it is not all that exciting or insightful ... Just Me babbling away.

When are you hoping to start?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope I can finish Mansfield park by Sunday. I read the other books in the series in 2 weeks, I hope I can do the same.

message 48: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Alex Farrand wrote: "I hope I can finish Mansfield park by Sunday. I read the other books in the series in 2 weeks, I hope I can do the same."

Oh good.

I am really not feeling motivated to read or do anything. I don't want to read, bike, golf, play video games. Nothing!

I need to smarten up.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "Alex Farrand wrote: "I hope I can finish Mansfield park by Sunday. I read the other books in the series in 2 weeks, I hope I can do the same."

Oh good.

I am really not feeling motivated to read o..."

I feel sorta the same way. I don't feel motivated to read Mansfield Park. I want to watch Dragon Ball Z though. LOL!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I think you should set aside Mansfield Park until a time when you are mre in the mood - it's not going anywhere and you will enjoy it more later just my opinion...you have to be in the mood to read Jane Austen or all the wordiness and no action gets a little annoying.

« previous 1 3