Carl Jung discussion

C.G. Jung
This topic is about C.G. Jung
Jungian Psychology in Literature

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (last edited Jun 10, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Steve Finegan | 5 comments For readers looking for fiction writers who draw on Jungian Depth Psychology and related material in their creations, the standout has to be the late Robertson Davies. I recommend all of his novels, but a good place to start is with The Manticore, which is book two in The Deptford Trilogy: Fifth Business/The Manticore/World of Wonders, although it's unnecessary to read them in order. If you're unfamiliar with Davies, you're in for a treat. Do any of you have recommendations for what I'll call, for the lack of a better term, "Jungian Lit?"

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments I love e work of Laurens Van der Post who was a friend of Jung and wrote both fiction and non- fiction. Beautiful story teller and moving. Not popular now but I devoured his books as a young seeker and have restarted them. Of course I think of Hermann Hesse too.

message 3: by Steve (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:29AM) (new)

Steve Finegan | 5 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I love e work of Laurens Van der Post who was a friend of Jung and wrote both fiction and non- fiction. Beautiful story teller and moving. Not popular now but I devoured his books as a young seeker..."

Hesse, of course! I should be careful when I talk about standouts (although Davies makes his Jungian mark in mainstream fiction). I've read "Demian" and "Siddhartha" every other year or so for the past 20 years. I'll search Laurens Van der Post right now. Thanks, Elizabeth!

message 4: by Steve (last edited Jun 20, 2016 09:10AM) (new)

Steve Finegan | 5 comments Elizabeth, I see Van der Post has a number of books listed on Goodreads. Which of her novels do you recommend as an introduction?

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Finegan | 5 comments Steve wrote: "Elizabeth, I see Van der Post has a number of books listed on Goodreads. Which of her novels do you recommend as an introduction?"

I don't know why I assumed Laurens Van der Post was a woman.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments No worries- I first read his novels based on his childhood, A Story Like the Wind and A Far Off Place and then read all I could.