Creative Writing discussion

general > suggestions + questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by dany (new)

dany (elothwen)
is it okay if my work is like a "series" of short stories all following one plot? and when i request a critique thread can i use a first-person intro as my summary?

message 2: by dany (new)

dany (elothwen)
maybe a thread for oc reviews? like maybe not a whole folder like the other critiques but perhaps a place to just post ocs/main characters for stuff in spoilers and have people give constructive criticism. idk, jyst a thought since i've seen it in other similar groups. And by OC, I mean either an original character for a fandom or just the main character of an original work

message 3: by juno. (new)

juno. (junosummers) | 89 comments Mod
question; are we allowed to ask for brainstorm/critique threads and make them ourselves ?? i kind of prefer having the ability to edit the first post + name of the thread, but it's totally alright if you'd prefer that you make it instead. ^^

LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :( (lilycat_reads) | 12 comments can we have separate folders for short stories/poems and longer term writing projects like novels and series?

message 5: by marthie ! (new)

marthie ! (marthie) | 17 comments ᴊᴜɴᴏ ; [ hiatus ; ghosting/multitasking ] wrote: "question; are we allowed to ask for brainstorm/critique threads and make them ourselves ?? i kind of prefer having the ability to edit the first post + name of the thread, but it's totally alright ..."

of course i'm not a moderator but i believe (not sure) that it said you were free to create your own after it had been approved.

message 6: by juno. (new)

oh right !! thank you~

message 7: by juno. (new)

Could we have a naming resources folder? I saw people talking about names so I was wondering. ^^

message 8: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 25 comments Also a general resource folder? With threads for specific resources.

message 9: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Request and if it's approved then you can make it yourself.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) So I got a suggestion. Even though I can understand if you don't go for it. But it pooped into my head yesterday while we where out and I was I was thinking. We could have writing contests like once a month or something. Where we get a pomp and then we have to go from there.

message 11: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Oh, I love that idea too! I'd go for it :) contests are my thing

message 13: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) It would be a lot of fun

message 15: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) That would be super cool! It would certainly help me focus on my short story writing! I think we should do something where you have a maximum, though, because a lot of times people feel pressured when others right super long stories and their's are smaller. It's the quality, not quantity, right?

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) That seems fair. Seeing as some even though they might be long could be horrible ((No offince to anyone, seeing as I haven't read any of your stories.)) And someone's that could be really short could be wonderful. So maybe it should be like a 1- 3 paragraphs or something like that?

message 17: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Well, I don't want to pull anyone's plug here, plus sometimes paragraphs are short -- so I'd say the limit would be around maybe 1000 words? (There are websites and apps that show you how many words are in the text, so that could be checked easily. If you open up Microsoft Word and copy/paste the text in, the bottom left corner should show you how many words there are.)

message 18: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I agree with Willa

message 19: by juno. (new)

I love the drabble contest idea.

Also, I was wondering if we could have a comment deleting thread?

message 20: by juno. (new)

I've seen a drabble challenge that defines drabble as 100-800 words and you can write anything as long as it fits the prompt word and it fits in that space. Though I think we can make it slightly shorter, maybe 100-500?

Also lately I've been doing a self-imposed double drabble challenge; I gave myself a list of 35 prompts and for each prompt I was only allowed to write 200 words, no more no less.

message 21: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I don't think I've ever written something so short as 200 words. Maybe once. So yeah, I think expanding the length of that would be a good idea!

message 22: by juno. (new)

Oooooooooh, I think a vignette would definitely be cool!

message 23: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Album fiction catches my eye, as a bandom nerd :)

message 24: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I love writing in second person too. So many good ideas

message 25: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I think the limit should be about 1000 words, though, because it's all about personal preference of length and some people take a while to get into the action.

message 26: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) That sounds good to me!

message 27: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I'm thinking we have one prompt every two or three weeks, and maybe once every month another challenge that's more unique?

message 28: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I like that! And maybe the weekly prompts can be a little shorter?

message 29: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Yeah!

message 30: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) That sounds awesome!

message 31: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I think we can use some of Rea's fiction ones for the monthly prompts that happen maybe every two months?

message 32: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I agree. Those are really great ones and I'd be interested in doing them!

message 33: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Same. Once we figure out the new moderators, I think this should be a priority in the group.

message 34: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Me too. It would get us all involved, and give us constant new material to help with.

message 35: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Like, we could make a thing where we vote on a winner, and then critique them all?

message 36: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Oooh, I like that! I think what would be cool is if we did something like what Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff did with their website merryfates.com, and if you won a contest then you could have your work submitted to be critiqued by the group, and then finished and placed in a "Revamped Contest Winners" folders, for display to the group? Sorry if that sounds kind of confusing.

message 37: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I like that! But I think it's kind of weird to critique the winner? Or just the winner. It sounds like those who don't win would be the ones we should critique.

message 38: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) True. Maybe the second and third place ones, then?

message 39: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Yeah, that would work. That's probably more doable than all of them!

message 40: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Cool!

message 41: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Well I think that's mostly decided!

message 42: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) *nods*
That was actually quite fun to figure out!

message 43: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) It was!

message 44: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Did I just said "quite"?
I feel like an old British woman...

message 45: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I do that all the time. It's so weird.

message 46: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I think the writing has changed me... XD And all my characters that are bookworms talk like British royalty, too...

message 47: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) That's so weird. I try hard to make my characters not sound like that, but they end up sounding really odd a large portion of the time. And they/I say stuff like that.

message 48: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I know, right! My mom's always telling me I talk like a book!

message 49: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I don't talk like that out loud though? And I blend that with tumblr speak.

message 50: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) ❛ ᴅᴀɴʏ wrote: "maybe a thread for oc reviews? like maybe not a whole folder like the other critiques but perhaps a place to just post ocs/main characters for stuff in spoilers and have people give constructive cr..."

❛ ᴅᴀɴʏ wrote: "is it okay if my work is like a "series" of short stories all following one plot? and when i request a critique thread can i use a first-person intro as my summary?"

Series are allowed as is first person. Also a OC review thread has been created

« previous 1