The Book Vipers discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - July 2016 - Ready Player One - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.
Things to consider:
1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Trine (majjalol) | 203 comments LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Liked it. A bit generic, but still, I liked it

Maybe a little bit...

Love it!

Na love it! The 2 top quotes are good; "Going outside is highly overrated" and "People who live in glass houses should shut the fuck up." :D

Yeah, ive read it all..

Just... Favorite book<3

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Well, sorry to say this was a DNF for me, I gave it a good try 100 pages out of almost 400. I just didn't believe the world building, didn't think the massive amounts of 80 trivia helped the story - I think that should have been better edited to advance the story, it just felt like an info dump to me.

Really enjoyed this when I read it a while back. Loved all the links back to the eighties games and the puzzle central to the story. Not great in character development, they felt a little two dimensional. I have got a signed copy of his second book to read at some point; not sure when though.

My review is here

Virgowriter (Brad Windhauser) | 6 comments Very enjoyable read. Well paced and brilliant use of setting in order to create this interesting world. I few nitpicky moments, such as telling reader things that have already been said (in the same chapter), and the tests themselves--especially the final one--felt a bit rushed (and easy). Still, a lot of fun. The characters come across well enough, though they tended to lack some emotional depth--no reaction to death of family members. Although, given the setting, maybe that was the point? The IOI chapter was the most interesting part, partly because it felt the smartest, least obvious choice the author made.

Annette Jordan | 50 comments I read this earlier in the year and absolutely loved it, it really spoke to me as a child of the 80's. I just found it a really fun engaging read. I'd definitely read more.

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
This came in from the library yesterday so will be starting it later today.

Enjoy Catherine

I hope so. I like the sound of the description from USA today - "Willy Wonka meets the Matrix"!

message 10: by Catherine (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well that was a fun read. I enjoyed the way the author set out his story and the 80's references were interesting although I am, sure I missed some. For example, I'd have thought Tron was an obvious film to reference but if it was there, I didn't notice - unless Wade entering the games to play them in the challenges was an oblique reference to it. No Ghostbusters, Gremlins or Beverly Hills Cop either, although they are iconic 80's films. I suppose they can't all be mentioned....but still.
I did hesitate over giving the book 5 stars, however, there was a slight undercurrent of childishness to me which took the edge off. Childishness not in a good way (for me at least) and I don't know if that is the right word to use either. I can't quite put my finger on it, but at times I felt that the book was almost pitched at younger teens. I think it may have been the ease at which Wade levelled up and acquired weapons. Apart from some mention of getting points and a few weapons when in the challenges, Wade suddenly aqcuired high level weaponry, armour and vehicles for travel without any depth of understanding at his efforts to gather them. Sure, he earned some credits when in the challenges, but not enough for all the hi-tech gadgetery he had by last challenge.
Also his jump from level 20 to level 99 was glossed over. Younger teens won't necessary care about this detail in their desire to see their hero/heroine come out on top by the last page, but it was a little disatisfying for me.

I might make this my review for the book!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Finished this yesterday. I thought it was a lot of fun and really engaged with the story, and I think, if done well, it will make a terrific film, too (although I'm not sure about some of the casting that's been announced). But in the end I could only give this 3 stars (would be 3.5 if possible - why GR cannot sort out this simple functionality to the rating system is beyond me).

I am an Eighties child and we did a bit of gaming although not at this level. It was very good on atmosphere and nostalgia moments, and the detail in some sections was wonderful. But, alas, I found the writing really wasn't that great. I have seen people call this a Young Adult book and even though I don't think it was meant that way, it does read like one. The characters barely develop, there is very little of the emotion or depth or psychology or social comment that makes a sci-fi book so great.

I do think setting it in the Eighties had its problems, as Mary said, sometimes there was a Wikipedia dump of info about various obscurities to ensure the reader could follow what was happening. Some of which was not really necessary and led to a lag in the tension, and meant that the ending felt quite rushed. I expect the film will be able to cut through this and stick to the action.

As a side note, I'm not sure what the Holy Grail bit at the end was all about – while I don't deny it is a geekfest, it came out in 1975, and generally I wouldn't associate Monty Python with the Eighties at all. Jarred slightly. Would have been more fun to get Wade to do the Risky Business dance in his pants, or attack bogies like in Top Gun. :-D

I didn't know Cline had a second book out, I'll have a look.

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

There were a number of flaws, but it is a great read if you're prepared to overlook those. His second book is Armada. I spent the enormous sum of £1 on a hardback signed copy.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Looks like it has very mixed reviews, Paul! Might let you go first :-D