SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > Ten hand-to-hand combat myths writers need to stop using

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Connick Very on-point article, Hand-to-hand combat myths are as prevalent as firearm myths in all too many books.

http://www.evilwriters.com/2015/06/te...

Michael
http://michaelconnick.com

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1091 comments Mod
Fun read. Thanks for posting it. I'm mostly in agreement with him; where I diverted was this:

1) he gets almost to the end of the piece without mentioning the possibility of armed opponents
2) While boxing skills are envious to possess, the trade off (years of injuries) to me, isn't worth having it in one's street fighting arsenal. In other words, its great yeah--one of the three classic core fundamentals--but not strictly necessary because you never have time to box someone when violence breaks out; its all over too quickly. There's also rarely a good flat, uncluttered, uncrowded environment to maneuver in. And brawlers use what's around them (bottles, tables, etc)
3) He seems to give very short shrift to pressure points. Tricks like police 'come-alongs' can very well be effective. In the early stages of a conflict, adrenalin isn't as much a factor. Agree though that once the fight starts, it is usually too late to employ smaller ones. However...larger locks which immobilize an entire arm, shoulder, or upper body--I sure do endorse these.
4) He speaks about getting 'knocked' unconscious but not about sleeper holds?
5) He doesn't mention body weight enough; there are a lot of fat guys out there.
6) There's one item near the end --the topic is 'speed'--where he advances his own experience as the weight of his argument; this is not as firm-ground as his other points which rely more on medical facts.

I guess these are just some minor places where I felt he wasn't as clear as he could be, about what it is he is saying. Gonna pass it on to some pals of mine, though. Cheers

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Nowadays you don't go around on the street kicking people, punching people — because if you do (makes gun shape with hand), well that's it — I don't care how good you are.- Bruce Lee

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments "The protagonist and the arch villain have an hour-long battle with bare fists and anything handy to use as a club, beating each other relentlessly. No matter the damage, they always come back for more. In reality, hand-to-hand combat between trained men is incredibly destructive, and very, very tiring. Add in improvised weapons, and it tends to end quickly. I know some folks who could give Jason Bourne a run for his money, but if you cracked them with a tire iron full-on, they wouldn't bounce back up with a round-house kick. At the end of the day, skill matters, but skill doesn't increase a person's magic armor like a video game. A human body is still a human body. It can only take so much punishment".- Brad Taylor, counter-terrorist thriller writer, veteran US Army officer and ex Delta Force operator.

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1091 comments Mod
I remember another one. Buddy of mine who is really an avid NFL player says that big, hulking, pro football players usually can't fight very well. It's counter-intuitive to think so, but he's watched them long enough over the years so that I'll trust his word on this point.