Runs with scissors discussion

general topic > WHHEEEEEEEE

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments I got a phone call from Cleveland.com, and they are interested in publishing and editorial I wrote on their site and/or in the Plain Dealer. Here it is:

An Open Letter to Steve Wiles of North Carolina and to all others that believe marriage is a religious institution:

Marriage is not a religious institution. It is a legal institution that can be observed with a religious ceremony. As an ordained minister I had to get permission from the government to solemnize vows. A couple that comes to me to be married also has to have permission. Additionally, once I solemnize the vows it is still not a legal marriage until I return the papers to the government. Transversely, should a couple choose a judge to solemnize their vows, nothing is needed from any church or minister. How then is marriage a religious institution? You don't get to throw away the history and laws of this country because they don't line up with your religious beliefs. That is a state known as anarchy.

Reverend Patterson

message 2: by Narzain, The Minister of Awesome (new)

Narzain | 75 comments Mod
Congratulations on getting the word out!

message 3: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Congrats baby! I get the paper, so I will look for it.

message 4: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Your letter appeared in today's paper, 5/12/14. I will keep you all posted as to any rebuttals.