Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Recommended Reading: Best of Marvel Comics

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Blindzider | 3142 comments Mod
This thread is for all group members to give suggestions on what stories they would recommend to people that are new to the group and/or to reading graphic novels. This particular thread will be about The Best of Marvel Comics.

The idea is to compile a list of books on each subject/topic from the group members and have a central thread that people can use to decide where to begin.

Preferably, the suggestions should be limited to stories that are available in some type of hardcover: Absolute, Omnibus, Deluxe HC, etc.

Make as many suggestions as you like, but do try to keep it to an "essential/best reads".

# Votes / Title (through message 4)
2 / Uncanny X-Men Omnibus V1-3 by Claremont/Byrne/Cockram/Smith
2 / Daredevil by Miller
3 / Daredevil Companion by Miller
2 / Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Whedon
2 / Uncanny X-Force Omnibus by Remender
2 / Captain America Omnibus V1 and V2 by Brubaker
2 / Fantastic Four Omnibus V1 and V2 by Hickman
2 / Thor OHC V1 and V2 by Jason Aaron and Ribic

message 2: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Jun 15, 2016 05:39AM) (new)

Where to begin?

Silver Age
The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 by Stan Lee The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 2 (New Printing) by Marvel Comics Amazing Spider-Man by Lee/Ditko/Romita Sr.
The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Chris Claremont The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Volume 2 by Chris Claremont Uncanny X-Men by Claremont/Byrne/Cockram/Smith

Bronze Age
Fantastic Four, by John Byrne Omnibus, Volume 1 by John Byrne Fantastic Four, by John Byrne Omnibus, Volume 2 by John Byrne Fanastic Four by John Byrne
Daredevil Omnibus by Frank Miller Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus Companion by Frank Miller Daredevil by Miller
Spider-Man Kraven's Last Hunt by J.M. DeMatteis
The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3 by Chris Claremont Uncanny X-Men by Claremont/Romita Jr.

Modern Age
Marvels by Kurt Busiek Marvels by Busiek/Ross
Earth X by Alex Ross by Krueger/Ross/Leon
Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men by Whedon/Cassaday
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender Omnibus by Rick Remender Uncanny X-Force by Remender
Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker Captain America by Brubaker/Lark/Epting
Fantastic Four, by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus, Volume 1 by Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four, by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus, Volume 2 by Jonathan Hickman Fanastic Four by Hickman/Epting
Hawkeye Omnibus by Matt Fraction Hawkeye by Fraction/Aja
Thor God of Thunder Volume 1 by Jason Aaron Thor God of Thunder Volume 2 by Jason Aaron Thor by Jason Aaron

I've never read these so I can't personally recommend them, but they have high praise:
Annihilation
Simonson's Thor

message 3: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2822 comments Mod
For vote counting purposes I agree with everything BZ posted except Spider-Man and Byrne's FF (simply because I have not read them) and Hawkeye by Fraction.

I would add:

Avengers Kree/Skrull War and Avengers Forever would be the two Avengers stories I would recommend to everyone. The Bendis run on New Avengers is also good and sets up the modern Marvel universe.

Daredevil by Bendis which is immediately followed by Daredevil by Brubaker is very good stuff. I probably like it better than Miller's DD but Miller's is also really good.

Iron Fist by Brubaker (and Fraction).

Thor by Jason Aaron (only read and recommend the first two OHCs)

Secret Warriors by Hickman

message 4: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments I would like to add:
1) Punisher Max By Garth Ennis
2) Punisher Max by Jason Aaron.
3) Alias by Bendis

I need to read Brubaker's iron Fist myself, but heard only good things about it.

I am not really enthusiastic about Golden/Silver/Bronze age stuff, the old style writing and art does not appeal to me personally. But I loved Daredevil Born Again and The man without fear. Both of them are collected in Daredevil by Frank Miller Companion omnibus.
Also, I loved Peter David's run on X-Factor. I do not think Marvel had publish them in OHC form but guys, if you get a chance, read it. Peter David took some C string character and knitted a at times emotional at times funny story. Beware though, this does not read much like a superhero story, it has a kind of a noir feel to it. I feel, it should get more recognition than it got.

message 5: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

I read Iron Fist and liked it, but didn't love it.

I read the first 6? issues of David's run on X-Factor digitally. I'd like to continue it but keep hoping for some type of hardcover. I've only seen the TPBs. Same with his Hulk run. Not sure why there aren't a couple Omnibuses for his run.

I like Alias as well. It's probably the only Bendis Marvel book that I still like over time.

message 6: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2822 comments Mod
Blindzider wrote: "
I like Alias as well. It's probably the only Bendis Marvel book that I still like over time. "

Did you not like his run on Daredevil?

message 7: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Relstuart wrote: "Blindzider wrote: "
I like Alias as well. It's probably the only Bendis Marvel book that I still like over time. "

Did you not like his run on Daredevil?"

At first yes, then about halfway to 2/3 I got really bored with it. Maybe someday I'll reread it and give it another try. I know I liked Brubaker's run better, but that needs another read before I can recommend it.

message 8: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments I just finished the Uncanny avengers omnibus after Reading the Uncanny x-force complete collection tpb's.. and i would say that i definitely recommend both runs.

Love remenders grand Scheme bigger that life storytelling!

I Will without a doubt reread both again in a not to distant (or alternate) future

message 9: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

I'd love to see a reprint of the uncanny x-force omnibus and read that straight through again.

message 10: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments Blindzider wrote: "I'd love to see a reprint of the uncanny x-force omnibus and read that straight through again."

Amen to that!!